Solar Panels Battery

den123

how many of you have solar panels keep the battery charged do the work ok what sort have you got and price

I have an 80W panel on my van and find that in the summer charges even a low battery in a day! This is the first winter I will have it, but so long as it's bright, expect it to at least keep the 110Ah battery charged and ready!

We supply & fit these panels for £350 - see http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/54486-80w-solar-panel-free-electric-for-life/

Chris.

We've got an 80 watt monocrystalline solar panel which keeps our 110 amp/hour leisure battery topped up when we are rallying off ehu at weekends.

It works quite well, I've fitted led 12v bulbs to the interior lights of out four year old Abbey 620 Vogue which don't use much power and we watch the flat screen tv by using an inverter to convert 12v to 230v.

The charge is topped up during the daylight hours by the solar panel.

The solar panel,cable and regulator cost around £200, the panel was from a company in Bromsgrove called Greener Electric, and I've fitted it permanently to the roof of the caravan (using Sikaflex and a bracket) and hard wired it into the charge circuit via a solar regulator which is not a difficult job for someone reasonably competent at d-i-y.

It's important when hard wiring a solar panel to use the correct gauge automotive cable because the sizes quoted can be deceptive.

The panel works well except that during the darker months from October until March we cut right down on the tv and go to the pub or to the rally social evenings instead.

If you want any more info on how to fit your own panel, what sort of charge controller etc give me a shout.

Depends what you want to do.

I didn't want to charge my battery ( the car / EHU does that ). I just wanted to keep a charged battery topped up.

I bought a 14W solar panel for about £20. This provided enough charge to overcome the internal loss of the battery and the current drawn by the alarm.

Every one said it wouldn't work, but I've measured the voltage and it had increased within an hour. .not by much, but enough to say it's working.

I have EHU but this goes off soon as it's the end of season for the site so if we want to use the caravan during winter we might need battery power. We don't use the TV as the signal is non existant most of the time so it's only for phone chargers, kids games chargers etc.

I recently just set up a 20w solar panel to one battery and it keeps it charged great on a bright day and still charges but much slower on a dull day. I recently fitted the dual charger regulator to keep the 2 85AH batteries charged off it and so far so good although I think we'd need a bigger solar panel if we decided to use TV, water pumps etc but i'm just a basic caravanner :)

Some pitches i've had in the past have had no EHU and i've never used batteries in a caravan so this is a first for me trying and testing and asking on here to see how long things last etc :D

Compass Shadow 1988

or here www. ebay. co. uk and save a fortune :D me and a few rallyin friends have bought 80 watt folding solar panels from here and payed around the £ 200 mark we used a firm ( lensun solar ) i have no connection with the company, always buy the item that is shipped from the uk no import tax etc comes all wired up and in a carry bag, jim

Totally solar and it saves a fortune if you consider the cost of EHU at some sites.

Add LED lighting conversion and Low Wattage TV and you are really green.

Battery £100

Solar £280

LED lights so far £30

EHU last year £50

EHU this year £4

EHU next year £0 etc.

Every weekend free electricity now.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I have solar panel too this link to a previous topic could also help

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I use a 40 watt panel from Fleabay cost 95. 00 delivered from a UK supplier i use this to keep my battery fully charged whilst in storage, it sits in the front window perfectly :) also when on site it sits on the roof with suction cups fitted to the frame (reach easily through the Heiki)

Then we use the 100 watt folding panel about £200 if i remember correctly two years ago that sits outside and is moved to face the sun as and when needed. We dpo find however that the 40 watt seems to keep up with useage very well in the height of summer especially as it stays on the roof so it works even before we are up and awake:) so we rarely need to get the big panel out on sunny days. We also have all lights converted to LED again from Fleabay. these help a lot on the old battery;)

Hope this helps

Ps we also use a mppt controller mounted near the battery. we also have a 100 and 75 watt inverters for a small hairdryer etc

We have a 13W panel from Maplins to charge/top up battery in storage for the alarm etc. It would also put some charge back in when on CL.

Brian

Archived