Opinions Needed Please!

mechs

Ok I don't "need" a new caravan but I hate seeing a bargain go to waste. I'm also used to and seem to like 1980's caravans as this is mainly what i've had before.

Anyway I like a wee look at different caravans for sale and seen this http://www. gumtree. com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/4-berth-elddis-caravan-for-sale/89558980 It's a few miles away and the guy can deliver so very tempted to have a look - but if I do i'll buy it!

The only thing concerning me is the "slight damp at back" bit but I know there's plenty info on here to help with fixing that.

I was also going to do a bit homework and also forgot to ask the guy what type of elddis it is so also wondered if any of you know? Just so I can get some info such as sizes, fittings etc.

I said i'd speak to the guy tomorrow so hopefully he's still got it JUST IN CASE I do buy and either keep it for myself once I compare the pros and cons, or fix it up and sell it on as I like to keep busy between work!

Thanks for any advice / help :D

Compass Shadow 1988

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks clean and neat but you need hands on to assess it.

£200 is a come and buy me price.

Dreaded damp may mean an offer to take it away for less.

Unfinished? WHY something else not working?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Yes i'll add that into my email back to him, what exactly is wrong. I should have a bit time tomorrow to arrange to go and see it and thanks to joining here i'll be alot more wary when viewing a caravan! Although I know you only get what you pay for but I don't mind a bit graft then get it checked over.

Compass Shadow 1988

Ok I don't "need" a new caravan but I hate seeing a bargain go to waste. I'm also used to and seem to like 1980's caravans as this is mainly what i've had before.

Anyway I like a wee look at different caravans for sale and seen this http://www. gumtree. c. ..r-sale/89558980 It's a few miles away and the guy can deliver so very tempted to have a look - but if I do i'll buy it!

The only thing concerning me is the "slight damp at back" bit but I know there's plenty info on here to help with fixing that.

I was also going to do a bit homework and also forgot to ask the guy what type of elddis it is so also wondered if any of you know? Just so I can get some info such as sizes, fittings etc.

I said i'd speak to the guy tomorrow so hopefully he's still got it JUST IN CASE I do buy and either keep it for myself once I compare the pros and cons, or fix it up and sell it on as I like to keep busy between work!

Thanks for any advice / help :D

Hi Mechs. It is a Cyclone. It is on the top NS panel at the front. Judging by the locker box I would have said that this was an early/mid 70's model. As I recall by the end of the 70's the Big Hitters in the manufacturing sense were integrating the locker with a 'Nose-Cone appearance. I had a late 70's, 78 I believe Ace Viceroy the model the following year had the clean tidy lines of the integrated locker,then the model became the ABI Jubilee Viceroy. Ours was a double dinette 4/5berth,the front made up to a King size bed.

I towed ours with a 1978 3ltr Capri Ghia Auto,it towed as straight as a arrow.

It looks clean and neat but you need hands on to assess it.

£200 is a come and buy me price.

Dreaded damp may mean an offer to take it away for less.

Unfinished? WHY something else not working?

Hi LHD. Yes,I agree. Possibly a Newbie on a very tight budget and a fit of enthusiasm,spared on by an eager wife and maybe a little-un or two. Then, Oh Dear what have we got here?.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Thanks TR, Just going to do a wee bit research on it first. I haven't said i'd definately take it or even go and view it but might be worth a look. I'm happy with my caravan anyway so I don't really "need" another one. My own one is permanently on site so this one would be at the front or side of the house so I could get to work on it then see if I could maybe sell it on, even if not for a profit I just like something to keep me busy when i'm not working :)

Compass Shadow 1988

IMO Anything that says unfinished project I get cautious and with statements like would make a nice trailer and it could be fixed in no time and no money . Well why have you not fix it ? Answer :He bought it to repair and found it was more than he thought as its been leaking for awhile and needs a strip down and rebuild because it has a rotten framework .

If you have the time yourself and some spare money (possibly lots) and a area you can leave it go ahaead . But making any money selling it on I doubt it . Better to put the money into your caravan what you would of spent .

I have stripped caravans down with damp damage over the 40+ yrs caravanning and it is always far worse than you originally thought .

Dave

I would go to him and look at it. At least then you ahve an address. If he came to you then you dont know where he is from. have you had a CRiS check done. The number should be near the door & etched in the windows

Coachman Pastiche tugged by Mazda CX-7, Wine supplied by Sainsburys & sunday Times wine Club.

It looks like an 82ish to me, and wont be CRiS registered as that didnt start for another 10 years or thereabouts. Though incidentally, my 1980 cheltenham has the chassis number on all the windows. Its worth £200 in bits/scrap.

I would go to him and look at it. At least then you ahve an address. If he came to you then you dont know where he is from. have you had a CRiS check done. The number should be near the door & etched in the windows

Hi Proterra. No not on a van of this age!!,unless it was done a a very security concious owner at a later date. CRiS only came in during 1992 as part of the 'From the Factory' offerings.

It looks like an 82ish to me, and wont be CRiS registered as that didnt start for another 10 years or thereabouts. Though incidentally, my 1980 cheltenham has the chassis number on all the windows. Its worth £200 in bits/scrap.

Hi speedy. True to your ID. You beat me on the detail regarding CRiS.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Well I emailed the guy this morning just after logging off here again to say i'd like to view it at least and take it from there. I also asked what else was wrong, had he used it himself or just purely bought it as a project, had it had a service, does everything else work ok (although i'd get it checked over anyway) but so far no word. Think I maybe asked a few too many questions as I more or less got an answer straight away last night when I showed an interest. I'll let you know if I hear.

There was another one just a few miles away I seen today, a small 2 berth that again looked a bit 80's for £1 :P I looked at it and the guy said he was open to offers, doesn't know alot about caravans but just needs it away. I was going out so sent a text asking if he had a price in mind (curiosity) then when I got out the gym I checked my phone and a reply simply saying "£400" :D NO CHANCE!!

Like I said I don't "need" one, i'm happy with my old but reliable 'van but just fancied trying out a wee project for starters just to see how it goes and get a bit more clued up on bigger repairs etc. There's actually a few decent caravans coming up now on Gumtree and I like a nosey :P

My chassis number is on a plate at the door and i've tried really studying it in the light but can only make out a few numbers as it's flattened out. If I can get the rest of the numbers my Husband does glass engraving so i'd pinch a shot of his engraver just to etch it on.

If I sold my 1989 caravan it would probably be the same, about £200 for spares / scrap / make a good trailer as the chassis is galvanised and solid bolts but it's a faithful wee caravan to me still so long may it last!

Compass Shadow 1988

Well i must've been impatient as usual cos there was a text on my phone sent after 11 last night from the guy saying he'd used it before just to test it out and the only thing was the damp at the back of the caravan though it's not at the black mould stage, apart from that everything else working, they're just upgrading to a larger / newer 'van.

I text back to say i'd go and view it if he could let me know when suits as workwise quiet the next 2 days although he's busy working, hence the late reply.

So will let you know how I get on although I think i'll more than likely buy it just even to tinker about on :)

Compass Shadow 1988

It would cost a lot more for a decent garden shed and not many sheds come with cooking and lighting. :lol:

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Well just to let you know as you probably expected and I knew I would, I bought the caravan :) so not away this time as I was viewing / getting it dropped off at the house.

It is an Abi Elddis Cyclone as said earlier. Went to view and the guy was honest enough. I seen the damp at the back which he'd mentioned anyway and although it's minimal will replace the back panel (under instruction from here although we've both got a good idea anyway).

Had a good feel about the walls and roof and so far so good.

Checked the curtain rails, although it's blinds fitted now so checked they were secure because went to see a caravan before and when I touched a curtain the rail fell down and the screw had wood crumbs on so always been cautious of things screwed into the wall.

On hands and knees on the floor and having a good pace about, no soft spots.

Checked under the seats which are spotless and empty anyway.

Plugged it in and all electric sockets work. There's an empty butane gas bottle in the front locker so going to replace this tomorrow although he stressed all gas works but I like to check these things.

He also pointed out why it was a "project" as there was the odd hinge needing replaced, one on an overhead locker and one on the oven which he had so gave me, one of the things to pull the window shut had snapped but he also gave me the spares of these, it was his fault as he'd pulled it too hard and the bit on the outside that keeps the door open was broken. This he didn't have but i've got a new one up at my caravan anyway plus loads of odds and sods for repairs.

It's had one owner from new (a relative of his) and since they retired 2 years ago they bought a new 'van so he bought this one and wanted to go holidays in it but now he's went into business with his Dad he's never had the time to do it and it was just lying in his Mum's drive.

So we arranged for it to be delivered to me tomorrow but he text earlier saying if I liked he was just cleaning / waxing it and could bring it tonight so said yes.

After I showed OH and the kids they fell in love with it and actually so did I so we've (i've) decided to keep it and sell on our one. I know i'm an "if it aint broken don't fix it" and we don't "need" a new caravan BUT this one has the service history and according to this the gas is working and it has the gas heater which will be easier for us winter caravanning whereas ours was condemned.

It's a few years older than ours as it's 1982, ours is 1989, but also the kids fell in love with the bunk beds at the back, ours is currently a dinette made up into a permanent double bed for us. I'm no fan of bunk beds in a caravan just for weight issues etc but these have a seperate metal fixing so aren't fixed to the wall if you know what I mean.

Plus (not that it bothers me) but this caravan's not got any cellulite (dents) like my other one :P

So tomorrow going to rip up the carpet as I prefer tiles / flooring with dog and kids, give it all a good hoover, clean, bring all the foam in and give that all a good hoover and a skoosh of Febreze or something. It's the usual "Granny's Parlour" colour but i'll get some cheap throws out Primark to cover it. Again prefer this due to kids / dog anyway.

There's also an awning with the steel poles. He's not built it up but i'll wait until it's on site before I try that, plus got my own anyway. There's also the waste / water containers, portaloo, crockery, cutlery and a load more so i'll put this in my old caravan when I get round to getting this one sorted, towed up to the site and my other one home. Emailed my Dad to ask nicely if he's tow it for me when i've done the work :D

There's also a leisure battery in the front locker but it's wired into the caravan from there so i'm assuming i'm best to leave it there? I'm still going to keep my other 2 and solar panel set up under the seats but these won't be wired into the caravan for lighting etc again when I get it on site.

So considering I like 80's type caravans as this is all i've had in the past as they're alot less hassle I think i've done not too badly :D I'll take some pics tomorrow in daylight of it and pics of the damp and anything I need advice on!

Sorry for the length of this post, i'm just a sad case really :D

Compass Shadow 1988

It's lovely to hear somebody getting so excited about a project, I dont think it matters how old the caravan is it is the joy you get out of it, hope every thing goes well with your work keep us informed, lots of luck. :)

Sounds very good.

Don't forget to be on your guard against condensation when it gets colder.

If you spend a lot of time in the van all the cold places like under the seats and in the corners get very cold at night.

This where the condensation forms and needs ventilation to keep it at bay.

Under the seats and in the loo are the worst areas.

Any heat you do get has to be free to move into these areas so keep the underside of the seats clear if possible.

Boiling the kettle will produce steam and this condenses on any cold surface. (glass bottles etc.)

Have fun with your van, it will be good if you can tour with it.

ps. Dont try 3 batteries when you tour will you? :o

Nooo not 3 batteries! I've actually also got a spare self maintenence leisure battery so that could be 4 I tour with :D

Got a query about this caravan though and can't find a fuse board :wacko: I've hunted everywhere in it, under the seats, overhead lockers, cupboards etc but no :wacko: Found the electric trip switch one though. Plus as I said the battery is in the front locker wired into the caravan from there whereas i'd rather shift it inside like my other one is, is this possible? Just not keen on it being "outside" but suppose it's been there all along really. I'm still taking my 2 leisure batteries and solar panel set up though so might disconnect the battery in the front locker and put it in my old 'van.

I also have a 90% potential buyer for my old caravan, my Husband's mate has been looking for a cheap one so i've said if all is well with this one (so far so good) i'll sell him my old one. OH told him we'd give him it "cheap" and it is, but it's still more than we paid and we've enjoyed it so he's going to try and get up to the site to see it and Dad going to tow this one up when i'm finished as his latest car's got a towbar.

Anyway today's progress went well, got alot done. Stripped that back wall right back. It wasn't hard as some of the wood was like the bark in my back garden so just fell out. I already had the hardboard type wood to fix it for a previous caravan I was going to tackle and there's more than enough so dug it out of OH's shed. There's also plenty timber to replace the "bars" but there's no polystirene stuff. Would I need to buy new or once this stuff's dried can you "recycle"? I don't mind either way.

All electrics work (put plug on the end of EHU cable and plugged in) so had the fan heater on that damp for a good few hours, ripped up the carpet. Was in good nick as was the underlay but like I said I prefer flooring / sticky tiles or something. The wood under the floor must be new as it's sturdy and dry and looks new.

Took the foam seating in the house and gave it all a good hover over and a febreeze so it's piled up in my bedroom until it's time to go. All the wood for getting under the seating looks new too or it's just been very well kept. Then took the hoover out and gave it all a good hover after removing the carpet / old wood plus gave all inside a clean although it was ok.

Nipped down the High Street earlier rather than sitting watching damp dry. There's a great wee shop, The Car Store and the guy in there's helpful. I don't drive but go in there alot for bike bits for me and the kids, fuses and other caravan bits. It was the guy in today when I went and he's also into caravans so was telling him my latest venture as I was buying a new mains battery charger as think my old one's got a loose wire or something, just want to charge that battery in the front although my mulitmeter's in my now old caravan :rolleyes:

So was telling him what I was doing and he's in the middle of doing the same to his, fixing a whole side panel cos of damp so was getting some tips and he's got a couple of caravan manuals but didn't have the one for doing work etc to older caravans so he's going to leave me his one on Monday to have a read through and i'll get one when he's got them in stock. He also thought it was strange I couldn't find a fuse box :wacko:

Then back home and gave outside the caravan a good inspection at the seals. I don't know but I THINK I know where the damp's came from. Where the bottom part for the bunk bed is screwed in inside the screw heads and a bit of the bar are a bit rusty and on the outside it's like they've been too long and have pierced through the outside of the caravan just slightly although the higher up "hole" was a bit bigger but still small enough for plenty water. All I had to hand at home was sealant so did this just now, is there anything that's reccomended to fix this?

I know what your saying about the condensation LHD and one thing i'll miss with my old caravan is that it's got the bits that sort of stick out from the wall so that the air can circulate under the seats although rther than having to move all the cushions to get under the seats there's doors to get in underneith so will leave these open when not in use, as they are now. Thankfully it's plastic windows. The overhead lockers are also left open as is the bathroom door. Bit of a waste of heat though but the fan heater's been on most of the day yet the door's been open!

Fixed all the loose hinges, well the overhead locker and the one under the seats that kept pinging open when you walk past. I'll need to see about new light covers as I smashed the two trying to take them out gently to clean

So tomorrow going to see if the garage do the wee dumpy butane as never got the chance today and if so will get one just to check all is working before it gets too cold!, and tackle repairing the damp!

Compass Shadow 1988

Don't push the drying process to hard or you may warp the timber frame. (a coach builder told me that) give it plenty of air to dry as naturally as possible.

Can you buy ceiling tiles these days? They would be OK between the walls used in multiple thickness.

Just found this on the net. re elddis typhoon

'Are the fuses are in the wardrobe situated in the washroom at the rear of the van, they are new type circuit breakers rather than "fuse wire" old type.'

Well I am pretty darn sure that is an Elddis Shamal, 'cause i just bought one. don't know the year though.

here's mine.

S7000056.jpg

S7000063.jpg

I bought it as a wee project. it has a double bed at one end and a sofa/bunk at the other end. On my van the plate with the advertised weight and max laden weight is missing, I had to do a little googling to find it(but i don't know for sure), so, can you take a note and post back. ;) .

Your upper picture has a smaller window at the rear.

Your lower one has the small window further back from the door.

Very small difference though.

In the upper picture what is the small square above the centre line?

On Mechs it is in the green part.

Your upper picture has a smaller window at the rear.

Your lower one has the small window further back from the door.

Very small difference though.

oh yea, so it is. you have a good eye for detail.

Hi Big Neil, yes no problem, I actually took note of the chassis / serial number off it today for the insurance but couldn't make out the weight as it was a bit flattened but I will look again tomorrow, plus, gimme 5 as before I got mine I found a good link somewhere. It was mainly the full length I wanted to see if it would fit in the front garden until I get it towed up to the site, i'll try and find that too. You're 'van is almost identical it's scary! Mine's is a Cyclone though, I put the ad up when I was maybe going to see it but couldn't make out what it was from the pic, it was another member on here (the name's gone) who told me the year and make. I didn't realise it's also an Abi, doh!

LHD I found the trip switch thing outside the wardrobe. If your facing it, it's on the right on one of the shelves but fitted on the wall. I'll also get a pic, need to get a photobucket account or something to add pics as I can't seem to add them on here.

I was going to start repairing the damp today but didn't want to rush plus thought i'd leave it overnight to air also, plus i'll leave the door open again tomorrow, weather permitting.

If you scroll down this link you should find your make of elddis and it should have weight, length etc but i'll check that plate tomorrow again in the daylight as the only thing obvious was the seriol number. http://www. cuddles. abelgratis. net/elddis. htm

I never thought of the ceiling tiles, they'd be easy. Might take a trip to homebase tomorrow as I was needing a new smoke and Carbon monoxide alarm anyway but this 'van hasn't got any either.

Compass Shadow 1988

oh yea, so it is. you have a good eye for detail.

Aha, I did wonder what the difference was :) Right enough where the bunk beds are along that side it is a bigger window.

Speaking of bunk beds, does anyone know how much weight they can take? I wouldn't dare lie on one and my youngest is nearly 7 so he's the safest option for the top!

It's not the hammock type we had before, it's a metal frame, you slide it up and round then clip the other 2 metal legs straight. It seems sturdy enough but with the damp being close by and a couple of the screws rusty i'm going to take the bit against the wall apart, put a new thin bit wood up, new screws and screw it all together then blend it in with paint, plus i'll ned to paint the metal frame anyway where it's rusted. It's not badly rusted at all or I wouldn't let them use it, it's just on the surface. They've been well warned not to jump on the beds! although usually we're out so it's just somewhere to get our heads down for the night!

Compass Shadow 1988

The rust is the condensation I referred to. Anything cold and it forms a damp spot.

What is the bunk base/surface made from? Canvas or what?

mechs, that's a great link. and it has confirmed what i thought, cheers :)

so when are you going to post up some pictures of the interior, I know this is totally geeky, but i'd like to compare to see what other differences there are between the cyclone and the shamal are.

Archived