Where Are All The Good 2Nd Hand 'vans?

chickenwrangler

After 2 years with a small Marauder the youngest now says he is uncomfortable in the top bunk. So. .....the challenge now is to find a larger 'van. It has to be as good if not better than the '96 model we have without breaking the bank. We've had a look at all sorts up to £5. 5K being sold privately and through dealers. All have been a disappointment. All have been described as "excellent" condition yet we find bits broken and missing. So far there have been missing tables, damaged table tops (Bailey want £160 to replace!), missing drawers, broken bed slats, soggy walls in a "bone dry van", broken windows and on and on. ....... All this and they are advertised at or near the franchised dealers price. It wouldn't be so bad but we ask all the right questions on the 'phone. We've been travelling up to 90mins to view vans and it is getting very disheartening. On the way back from our last disappointment we dropped into a dealer for a look. "Dearest" found a nice £8. 5k Lunar which would need a hefty loan to finance. Even I was taken with it until I saw the 300mm square of crazng in the GRP front panel! :angry:

There must be an honest seller out there somewhere? Or will I be forced into the suffocating, wallet emptying hug of a franchised dealer. :o

We've decided to give dealers a miss as we may get tempted to spend more than we have. We'll continue looking for that well looked after private 'van looking for another good home. Wouldn't be so bad but leafy Bucks does not seem to be well endowed with caravan owners. There are times I wished I lived north of Watford Gap.

Found this. ....................http://www. nottsda. co. uk/ForSale. htm

Swift Milano 1999 4 Berth £4499 ono

L shaped lounge, full cooker, 3 way fridge, blown air central heating, separate shower, end bathroom and dressing room area, full length awning with sleeping annexe some extras included. all paperwork available. CRiS registered. no damp, non smoking, no pets, lovely comfortable van, alko towing hitch, possible free short term storage.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Found this. ....................http://www. nottsda. co. uk/ForSale. htm

Swift Milano 1999 4 Berth £4499 ono

L shaped lounge, full cooker, 3 way fridge, blown air central heating, separate shower, end bathroom and dressing room area, full length awning with sleeping annexe some extras included. all paperwork available. CRiS registered. no damp, non smoking, no pets, lovely comfortable van, alko towing hitch, possible free short term storage.

Thanks for that. Side dinnetes no good for us as kids too large for bunks. Like the Lunar EB on same site but way overpriced.

Have you looked on "preloved"

I've tried everywhere. EBay, Autotrader, Adtrader, Preloved, Gumtree and just plain old Google. There are some lovely looking vans but not anywhere near me. The lovely looking ones I have got to see have not been as good as they were advertised.

full length awning with sleeping annexe No good?

I bet the kids would love to be outside!

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Toughen them up for the great outdoors.

Our grandchild regards her inner tent as private property. She is nine.

I would imagine that most of the really good 2nd hand 'vans are in the yards of franchised dealers. .. as their previous owners have traded them in for newer models. IME "private" sales are usually wrecks that dealers won't touch or "cash only" cons of some description.

You don't wish to use a dealer . ... OK . . your choice . . but a good dealer gives backup, warranty and a place to go when things go wrong.

I know where there is an excellent 3 year old Abbey Spectrum 416 . .... we've just traded it in . ... :)

I know where there is an excellent 3 year old Abbey Spectrum 416 . .... we've just traded it in . ... :)

Send the OP a PM he might appreciate a link to it.

I hope you find a good caravan soon. I'm sure there's loads of people who take good care of their pride and joy :)

Compass Shadow 1988

Bad time of year to be looking. All you will find is the junk that didn't sell in Spring.

Thanks for that. Side dinnetes no good for us as kids too large for bunks. Like the Lunar EB on same site but way overpriced.

I've tried everywhere. EBay, Autotrader, Adtrader, Preloved, Gumtree and just plain old Google. There are some lovely looking vans but not anywhere near me. The lovely looking ones I have got to see have not been as good as they were advertised.

Have you tried Caravan Club classifieds or Caravan selecta??

I hope you find a good caravan soon. I'm sure there's loads of people who take good care of their pride and joy :)

I'm sure there are, mechs, but there also appear to be many who don't.

I'm contemplating changing my 'van but I'm struggling to justify paying upwards of £18k for a new one at my time of life.

I had convinced myself that I'd probably find a good quality used 'van for £10k £12k.

How wrong can you be?

I'm reluctant to part with that sort of cash in a private sale with no come back and everything I've seen in that price range at dealers I honestly wouldn't entertain. It's obvious that some people just don't cherish their 'vans in the slightest.

Looks like I'll have to either take the expense of a new 'van on the chin, or soldier on with my own cherished pride and joy.

They are out there, we have recently bought our Bailey Pageant Bretagne (2006) for 7k - Had it damp tested and a prepurchase inspection done - which found that one of the window stays was missing.

After our first weekend we have discovered two issues:

1. Water pump connection was leaking when in use - turned out that the original o'riings were replaced with ones that were too big - fixed

2. piece of wood on the left hand seat that supports the bed runner has a crack (probably from kids jumping up and down) Easy replacement job when I get round to it - doesn't stop us using the bed.

3. Condensation on small rear door - design fault on this van!

For a 5 yr old van I think what I have found is perfectly acceptable!

oh yeah, and bought off ebay!

I would imagine that most of the really good 2nd hand 'vans are in the yards of franchised dealers. .. as their previous owners have traded them in for newer models. IME "private" sales are usually wrecks that dealers won't touch or "cash only" cons of some description.

You don't wish to use a dealer . ... OK . . your choice . . but a good dealer gives backup, warranty and a place to go when things go wrong.

:lol: ! :lol: ! Apologies Entwood but that tickled me !!!!

Hi Chickenwrangler,

Wish I had known sooner. My work colleague has just sold a 2005 Swift Cruach with the fixed larger bunk beds at the rear. Dinette, air blown central heating,fixed Micro, fully serviced etc . ... Had it since new and lucky if he did 2 to 3 trips a year. Sold it with in 3 day's for 7 Grand. Good ones are out there. ........... ;)

Grumpy Auld Smeesh. ............ :angry:

Ace Jubilee Statesman . .....Jagaur S Type 2. 7d SE Auto Sport . ..........

I'm sure there are, mechs, but there also appear to be many who don't.

I'm contemplating changing my 'van but I'm struggling to justify paying upwards of £18k for a new one at my time of life.

I had convinced myself that I'd probably find a good quality used 'van for £10k £12k.

How wrong can you be?

I'm reluctant to part with that sort of cash in a private sale with no come back and everything I've seen in that price range at dealers I honestly wouldn't entertain. It's obvious that some people just don't cherish their 'vans in the slightest.

Looks like I'll have to either take the expense of a new 'van on the chin, or soldier on with my own cherished pride and joy.

How you doing Livi,

Was in the very same boat ma self but decided just to hold on to my Ace until I retire which is just around the corner. :( Will soldier on as well. To be honest why spend good money especially in this climate if there is Hee Haw wrong with your Van.

Grumpy Auld Smeesh. ......... :angry:

Ace Jubilee Statesman . ......Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE Auto Sport . ........

I just don't understand why people aren't honest about any faults / problems with their caravan when putting it up for sale. Any caravan i've had and sold i've always mentioned and put pictures of any faults cos i'd be mortified if someone came to view it thinking all was ok then found faults I hadn't mentioned :huh: but then again I suppose some just want to take the money and run!

Regarding another post this might well be the time you get all the junk they couldn't sell in the summer which is fair enough but at the same time i've always found this to be a good time to grab a bargain, people usually selling as the season's over (for some), some people needing to raise cash for christmas etc so i've usually always managed to pick up a bargain unless of course you're into the latest fashionable 'van :D The prices shoot up round about March / start of the season again, and are high until about now but that's just my experience.

Also I learned that if it ain't broken don't fix it. Some caravans I bought just because they were slightly bigger or newer but usualy ended up with a worse deal so my advice is unless you "need" a new van, more space or anything keep what you've got :)

Compass Shadow 1988

Difficult one to resolve - my budget was a bit higher than yours but the condition of the caravans at the dealers was appauling and the prices were silly.

My stipulation was that it had to have a fixed bed.

Amazingly I found exactly what I wanted on for sale privately only 2 miles from my home address.

I think that you have to accept some minor repairs but that becomes part of the negotiating process on the final price.

Mine was pretty much immaculate inside but needed:

New part on the bed lifting arm.

2 new interior light bulbs.

New fuse required on the heater fan

A couple of slats needed re-gluing.

Outside:

A coupled of very minor awning marks.

New tyres required.

All of this helped to knock £500 off the asking price an all fixed within the first few days of ownership for £120.

Keep looking privately an you'll eventually come across somebodies pride and joy that is pretty much immaculate.

Having come back to caravanning after a gap of nearly 20 years, I was amazed (shocked, more like) at the appalling 'quality' of many of the 2nd hand vans on the dealer forecourts. The decent ones were way out of our budget, the ones we could afford were generally poorly cared for, smelled damp, looked awful, etc. We ended up buying privately, from a couple who live in the same village, with the van stored half a mile away from us. Their asking price was over our budget, but after a bit of haggling we came up with a price that suited us both, and we ended up with a well cared for van, clean and tidy, with only a few very minor bits and pieces to sort out, and we were able to agree with the storage owners to continue to keep the van there. Keep looking and you'll find one - but it may take some time!!!! :)

Archived