Jef

I have a Coachman Genius 500/5 and need to run power (mains) and an aerial lead to the back of the van, which we use as a permenant bedroom.

There are 13 amp sockets at the front and middle of the van but none at the back, my dilema is how do I get cables to the back without drilling holes through the walls of the shower/toilet?

Cheers

Jeff

Go under the floor in a plastic conduit? Properly fixed with clamps of course at correct intervals.

You can use flat section these days.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

As said easiest route is under the caravan but use a flex type Cable and not a Twin and earth type household cable as it is not designed to take the vibration of a caravan and will break .

Dave

Just out of interest, how do you guys get under the van?

Is it just a case of wriggling under and getting dirty?

Regards,

Steve

Steve, Yes, that's what I do. But I usually use a peice of old carpet to lie on. Much more comfy and with the bonus of less dirt.

the other slightly cleaner way is to run it inside the cupboards at floor level securing at intervals and when you get to the door remove the usually alloy door plate and feed the cables rearwards that way, but as always it will bite very hard so if unsure re 240 v " get someone qualified to do the work" jim

Caravans are wired in flex not twin and earth flat cable.

I meant the conduit section. U shaped with a clip on cover. You screw the channel to the surface, fit the wires in and pop on the cover.

I would tip the van up at one end to get under. B)

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Your local City electrical factors will sell you the conduit in 3 mtr lengths about £5. If you run both cables in the same trunking it might just affect the aerial signal, just a thought. Regards Peter.

Your local City electrical factors will sell you the conduit in 3 mtr lengths about £5. If you run both cables in the same trunking it might just affect the aerial signal, just a thought. Regards Peter.

As has been mentioned, don't run both cables in the same trunking / conduit.

(a) because it is against the regs.

(B) because it will very probably cause interfence on your signal cable.

Try to keep them a metre apart for as much of the run as possible. ;)

I would run the aerial separate and just use cable clips to fit under the van. The mains is more important to protect.

• 2 weeks later...

DO NOT USE TWIN AND EARTH, you must use the 1. 5mm or 2. 5mm

flex as used by the manufacturer. The cable spec. should be embossed

on the cable sheath. Secure and protect the flex from weather and

mechanical damage.

Aerial coax should be the very best screened you can get, I would put

an external socket in at the end of the caravan you want to use

Archived