Towing At 70...

Calendula

. .. and the claim in a few caravan magazines that you lose your towing entitlement at that age. I know this has been discussed a few times but me and OH are a bit confused by it all. It doesn't affect OH for a few years yet but we wanted to be prepared and I've been doing a lot of reading up on the subject on the internet and we are even more confused by it now, so just now I decided no more research, just phone the DVLA. I have just this minute come off the phone to them and the chap I spoke to called Bob said that if you already have the entitlement on your licence then you do NOT lose that entitlement on reaching 70. He asked where I got such information from and I told him it had been mentioned in caravan magazines, including the Caravan Club magazine. He said they are completely wrong and repeated that you do not lose towing entitlements at 70 if you already have B+E on your licence, he also said don't believe what you read - contact DVLA first! If anyone wants any further information or to clarify this the number for the DVLA is 0300 7906801.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Much discussed over the years and I (as a 70+ driver) can concur you do not relinquish your B+E - what you can loose is your C license unless you take a medical examination -- as opposed to a self declaration.

I have now given up my 'HGV' entitlements so just have the B+E which allows me to drive a car up to 3. 5 tonnes plus trailer of the same weight so more than enough for our Land Rover Discovery 4 and Airstream 532 :)

Edited by TedNewman

Totally agree it is very misleading when you read the various websites .

Even here it does not help explain .

http://www. direct. gov. uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_4022086

Dave

My father made his last caravanning trip to France aged 81 with no worries.

John.

Forgot to mention as well - we were talking to a relatives neighbour the other week, he's 71 and in the summer decided to go back to caravanning after a 10 year break. A salesman at his local dealers told him he's not allowed to tow anymore, so he has bought a motor home (from the said dealer for £22,000)

Now that sounds like a real scam! If he is unhappy he should go back to the dealer and demand a full refund and make it quite clear that the dealer will be reported to the trading standards office for giving false information.

Forgot to mention as well - we were talking to a relatives neighbour the other week, he's 71 and in the summer decided to go back to caravanning after a 10 year break. A salesman at his local dealers told him he's not allowed to tow anymore, so he has bought a motor home (from the said dealer for £22,000)

that is disgusting !!

though in his situation i wouldnt have taken a salesmans word for it.

That is more of a minefield as if the maximum weight of the motorhome is more than 3500kg he needs a C licence whihc he will ave lost unless he psys for a medical.

. .. you lose your towing entitlement at 70.

That gave me quite a shock for a minute or two. I thought I'd been towing illegally for the past 11 years. :lol: .

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

That is more of a minefield as if the maximum weight of the motorhome is more than 3500kg he needs a C licence whihc he will ave lost unless he psys for a medical.

This has been a minefield on other caravan sites and Motorhome sites for years as its not really clear . If they say more than 3500kgs does that also mean a outfit of car and caravan with a MAM of over 3500kgs?

Dave

3500 KG limit applies to the vehicle you are driving - so in theory you can have a car and caravan of 7000 KG but a motor home of only 3500 KG - but nothing stopping you towing a trailer of 3500 KG BUT if the motor home is 3501 KG then you need a 'C' license.

:angry: I would go back and have it out with this slimeball salesman. Some of them say anything to get a sale, go get all the framily to go view his caravans etc with muddy boots on that should keep him busy for a while.

:o sorry this has made my litle nasty streak come out lol

3500 KG limit applies to the vehicle you are driving - so in theory you can have a car and caravan of 7000 KG but a motor home of only 3500 KG - but nothing stopping you towing a trailer of 3500 KG BUT if the motor home is 3501 KG then you need a 'C' license.

I thought you needed a 'C' to tow an outfit over 3500kgs? This why new drivers have to take a towing test to upgrade their 'B' licence to 'C' to tow with an outfit over 3500kgs .

To keep a C you need a medical ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I thought you needed a 'C' to tow an outfit over 3500kgs? This why new drivers have to take a towing test to upgrade their 'B' licence to 'C' to tow with an outfit over 3500kgs .

Dave

Dave it is the actual vehicle being driven that counts - forget whether it is towing or not - 3500 KG is the limit for a 'B' - 3501 KG and you need a 'C' - to tow over certain limits one requires B+E and this many of us oldies have as 'grandfather rights' and with this we can tow with a vehicle up to 3500 KG and a trailer of the same weight.

Dave

You need a B+E entitlement to tow an OUTFIT over 3500 kg or where the MPTLM of the caravan exceeds the kerb weight of the tow car

Since 1997 a newly qualified driver has to take an additional towing test to gain the E entitlement.

A motor caravan with a MAM in excess of 3500 kg requires a C1 entitlement and a C1+E to tow a trailer.

There are complications with C1 and C entitlement which are shown here

http://www. direct. gov. uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

Dave

If you passed your test pre 1997 you have (and retain) a "B+E" licence, which means you can tow 3500kg with a vehicle up to 3500kg, more than enough for any normal setup. But you will loose your C at 70 without a medical.

After 1997 test pass you will need to take a "+E" test to tow over 3500kg total outfit weight. (car + trailer/caravan) at any time.

• 4 months later...

Just had a bit of a wobbly now we've changed to a heavier towcar as knew I had lost some categories on renewing my licence at 70. But not to worry, they have left me the B+E which how I read it means I can have a car up to 3500kgs + any weight trailer. ..I've printed out this bit from YouGov site to carry in the car incase plod pulls me over!

I am on a B&E Licence due to health, but it causes me no trouble. I don't see why driving a Range Rover with a heavy trailer is any safer than a 7. 5 Tonne box van ? :rolleyes: As long as I can tow my van I am a happy chappy

Our 4 x 4 weighs in with kerbweight at 1830kgs and the caravan has a MTPLM of 1800kgs. Total weight 3630kgs. Maximum braked towing weight for 4 x 4 is 2200kgs. Total train weight would be 4030kgs well over the 3500kg limit if restricted to B+E licence.

So where does that leave us and many other 4 x 4 owners if towing a large caravan and approaching seventy?

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Our 4 x 4 weighs in with kerbweight at 1830kgs and the caravan has a MTPLM of 1800kgs. Total weight 3630kgs. Maximum braked towing weight for 4 x 4 is 2200kgs. Total train weight would be 4030kgs well over the 3500kg limit if restricted to B+E licence.

So where does that leave us and many other 4 x 4 owners if towing a large caravan and approaching seventy?

I don't think that you have a problem provided your vehicle is under 3,500kg. Not the total Train weight

I don't think that you have a problem provided your vehicle is under 3,500kg. Not the total Train weight

Yes that is correct and should not affect caravanners as most, if not all, vehicles are under 3500kg gross weight.

It does, however, affect motorhomers if their motorhome is over 3500kg and a medical is required then.

Brian