Fixed Bed Length

cfcseasideblues

Hi all

after several months of sleepless nights in a fixed bed im 6 ft 2 and the bed can only be 6ft,i have tried all ways to try get good night sleep.

with fixed beds is this a standard size. .the side i sleep in next to the outer wall.

ps its a bailey oklahoma

any ideas ( and yes have thought of everything, even cutting a hole out at bottom of bed to stick my feet through )

B)

I asked the same question of a caravan dealer some years ago, as I too am 6' 2". In reply he told me to take my shoes off and get a haircut! It's just as well he was a personal friend, and I knew it was said in jest, as his other suggestion was tell me to share the bed space equally with my wife. I could have the diagonal length, and she would then have a choice of the remaining two triangles - well it sounded fair to me, but SWMBO was "not amused".

If you are longer than the fixed bed, and providing there is a space at the foot of the bed, then the only practical solution I have (other then looking for a caravan with a longer bed) is to use a duvet under the bottom sheet as this will then provide a padded area at the foot of the bed for your feet to hang over, without the mattress piping cutting into your feet. Obviously a second duvet on top would still give toasty toes.

Clearly if you do not have a fixed bed, then often a double can be made up across the caravan, that would quite likely be longer than 6' long.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

It can be a common problem as manufacturers cut back to make more room for other bits and pieces. Always measure a bed in any van you fancy, both length and especially width. Some so called doubles are not much wider than a single. Fine if yu like to sleep like sardines, not so fine if you want a decent night's sleep.

It can be the case that EU made vans have bigger beds as they are willing to lose space on the kitchen as they do not normally bother with full cookers and large washrooms. Mine has a double 6 feet 6 inches long and 4ft 8 inches wide, although does have the cut off at the bottom. As mentioned it may be an idea to look at a van with 2 seating areas and leave one as a permanent bed, but again check the size. If you do decide this then some have swopped the cushions for a proper mattress to get a better night's sleep.

Another reason we went for the Series 5 Bailey Pageant Vendee as it has the transverse bed at the rear. The mattress is flush with a flat area at the foot of the bed and we have a memory foam topper which extends over this. I have loads of room at 6'2".

I'm always surprised this layout wasn't more popular as it meets our needs almost perfectly. We have no plans to change which is a good thing as I don't think there's a current van (at a reasonable price) that would suit us.

The bed on our Indiana is listed as 6ft 4ins, I'm 6ft 2ins (seems a very popular height on this thread :P ) and it's ok for me

My Valencia measures 6" 4" and from experience At 5'11" I'm fine. 6'2" though ?

From sailing I can tell you it is quite common to have a hole cut in bulkheads at the end of bunks for taller brethren. It's called a trotter box and works very well.

We bought the Pegasus 554 specifically because of the transverse island bed. My husband is 6'6", and sleeps with his feet sticking out over the end of the bed. He's done this in every bed he's ever slept in. However, a salesman tried very hard to persuade him that if he curled up he could fit into any caravan bed, even a 6' one with a wall at the head and a partition at the foot. I don't know where I was meant to sleep!

Exactly the same problem for me in a motorhome - hence my present van has a bed across the back - 6'9" long - perfect!

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

We bought the Pegasus 554 specifically because of the transverse island bed. My husband is 6'6", and sleeps with his feet sticking out over the end of the bed. He's done this in every bed he's ever slept in. However, a salesman tried very hard to persuade him that if he curled up he could fit into any caravan bed, even a 6' one with a wall at the head and a partition at the foot. I don't know where I was meant to sleep!

hi

thats how i sleep,just have to have a few more magners to get off to sleep :wacko:

or trade our bailey oklahoma in for a van with a fixed island bed :)

I have a friend who is over 6'10"! and several just a few inches over 6'

Despite this I have never had a problem sleeping in a normal caravan bed.

:wacko:

Archived