Sorrento Vs Sante Fe Vs Captiva Vs Any Others

PETERA

Time has come to pension off our 10 year old Frontera (Been very happy with it) So what do we go for? After reading the forums I've gleaned the following info

Sorrento:-

Very capable towcar, but question mark over consumption figures. But has 7yr warranty.

Sante Fe

Most people seem to be very happy with this choice, 5yr warranty but no complaints about consumption.

Captiva

Not seen much about this, but I believe it has 5yr warranty.

Anyone have any comments, or should others be considered. I tow a 1600kg Hobby to Spain every year, usually over the pyrenees so need something with a bit to spare.

Thanks for any replies

Pete

If I remember last time I looked the Captiva diesel did not come in Auto . So if you want an auto that could rule out that one .

The Sants fe and Sorento are much the same type of vehicle underneath but the Santa fe is the cheaper out of the 2 .

Others to consider are the Citroen C Crosser/Pug 4007/Mitsibishi Outlander trio same vehicle just different badge .

FL2 should come in under 25k . Nissan Pathfinder, Or the Ford ranger, L200, Navara for a pickup type . Shogun Sport .

Forgot to say if you want to stay with Vauxhall the Captiva is sold under the Vauxhall badge.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

We are pleased with our Santa Fe so far. Have been to France twice since we bought it in March and have been pleased with its towing ability and the fact that it takes everything that we put in it. We bought the seven seater because it was recommended by the Caravan Club for its self levelling suspension. Its not in the league of a Disco or Range Rover (which I would have loved to buy) but then it didn't cost us the price of such vehicles.

on my 3rd Santa Fe - all automatics - been up and down the hills of france, spain, skandinavia, morocco (and even Derbyshire) and reckon its a great towcar. never bought a new one, usually ex demos or ex Hyundai owned but still very happy.

Don't know where you get the question mark over the Sorento Consumption unless you are reading posts/tests reports on the Old Model. We recently did a 2000 miles tour of France with friends both 2 adults in each car and lots of kit.

My Rig 2010 Sorento Kx2 Auto towing Bailey Valencia. Friends 2010 Santa Fe towing Lunar Clubman so a slightly lighter van. Both cars are Turbo Diesels with Auto box i. e. same engine. but theirs had done 5000 miles more. Both cars are essentially the same vehicle.

Both cars returned consumptions towing of about 25 - 26 mpg - never less than 24 even when towing into strong winds and we cruised at the French limits, so as far as we are concerned consumption is as near identical as makes no difference. Last tow Notts to Surrey and Back was 27 mpg so still loosening up.

Solo on main road trips using cruise control most of the way at 70 my Sorento now returns 41 to the gallon, Knocking about round town we get 30. mixed running returns 35 ish so we are very happy with the consumption, I am not a slow driver so could do better I suppose. I know our friends Santa Fe returns identical figures in the real world. Either makes a very good tow car. Whether you stick to the nose weight of the Sorento auto at 80 kgs is between you and your conscience. We had absolutely no issues with anything sometimes towing in excess of 30 deg heat. The manual has a NW 0f 100 kgs and as the cars and tow bars are identical strength wise it doesn't make much sense other than Kia admitted they just take 4 % of the Towing limit and the Auto box has a limit of 2000 kgs the manual 2500 kgs.

VEL is £245 it's just had it's first service - Nothing to report - not so much as a loose screw. Hyundia was the same. If I was in the market it would depend on deal offered against potential to keep the kia longer i. e. 7 years. Shut your eyes and you can't tell which you are in.

NB all speeds set by Satnav as speedo is a bit flattering as in all cars.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Hi, I agree with the comments by Alan. We also have a 2010 KX2 but with manual gearbox and tow a Bailey Unicorn Valencia. In strong winds across Ireland, our mpg when towing went down to 23. Usually around 26. Solo, the manual is slightly better. I can get up to 48mpg at a constant 70 on a good run. 6 speed manual is no slouch and VEL is £210. Ours was a Kia owned car, now has 15,000 miles on the clock and is our third Sorento and by far the best.

Regards, Ken

You could buy a new Jeep Compass as they start at 17k OTR and you would have a Warranty .

http://www. jeep. co. uk/compass

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

You could buy a new Jeep Compass as they start at 17k OTR and you would have a Warranty .

http://www. jeep. co. uk/compass

Dave

That looks a bit light with a kerbweight up to 1605kg and towing capacity of 1200-2000kg depending on model ( didn't look at every model)

Thanks for the replies, think I will go with the Sante Fe, just want to go for a test drive but I can get a £3. 5k discount which would swing the deal.

Pete

Captiva is Chevrolet through Vauxhall/ Chev dealers. Vauxhall version is the Antara. Auto is available. I have the Santa fe but a friend is the GM dealer so I have borrowed both versions on occasion. personally I prefer the SF. Captiva has a harsh ride, manual gearbox is notchy. SF is trimmed better although mine has that nasty original non rds radio

• 2 weeks later...

Well today I drove a Captiva and all i can say is, Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dont but one, It felt like driving on ice the steering was so vague, the sales man said thats how they are. LOL

Sorry not for me i think

I found the latest xtrails electric steering felt very strange, after the hydraulic system on the early xtrail.

I quickly got use to it.

Most cars are now electric steering to save consumption.

That looks a bit light with a kerbweight up to 1605kg and towing capacity of 1200-2000kg depending on model ( didn't look at every model)

Thanks for the replies, think I will go with the Sante Fe, just want to go for a test drive but I can get a £3. 5k discount which would swing the deal.

Pete

The santa Fe is being updated late next year, source whatcar.

So big discounts should be available.

Edited by xtrailman