Nec Show Report, Before The Doors Opened!

ChrisG46

Thank you Chris, I assume there is more to come?

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Thanks Chris very interesting seems like all major manufacturers are now starting to give 10 yr ingress warranty . Is that Elddis or Explorer range of caravans with 10 yr warranty ? The one piece caravan has been tried before .

Dave

really good but I needed more!

Good report Chris and informative.

The 'Monopod' caravan looks like the unholy child of a marriage between the large GRP 'van of a few years ago (now defunct. Venturer?) and an 'Airstream'. wait and see on that one.

Very good of Elddis to give a 10 year water ingress warranty but can they screw the furniture to the bodywork properly?

Regards.

Col

As I won't be attending the NEC this year will be looking forward to more reports in due course, What's the "Sprite Lite " model like ?

Keep up the good work

The 'Monopod' caravan looks like the unholy child of a marriage between the large GRP 'van of a few years ago (now defunct. Venturer?) and an 'Airstream'. wait and see on that one.

Very good of Elddis to give a 10 year water ingress warranty but can they screw the furniture to the bodywork properly?

Regards.

Col

Col

Thats exactly what I thought of the type as it looks like it came out of the same moulds .

Like this one .

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..id=272774303307

Dave

Col

Thats exactly what I thought of the type as it looks like it came out of the same moulds .

Like this one .

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..id=272774303307

Dave

Thanks CD,I was'nt sure of the name. :)

Regards.

Col

Well done Chris and keep it coming.

Thanks

Bill

Well done Chris!

Looking round today, it seems that most makers have opted for darker wood furniture. IMHO this makes the interior: a) gloomy, B) claustrophobic. As any good interior designer will tell you, keep to light colours to give an impression of space!

The Stealth Concordia was worst for this but apparently " you are the only person who thinks this!"

Is it just me, or don't they want to listen? But I will not be buying this year, nor will I be buying a 2012 model when they come up second hand. I want light and bright!!

Join me before the doors opened at this years NEC show in Birmingham!
Had a look earlier Chris. It looks to be a promising show this year.

. ..and by this time next week it will look like the pictures below.

NEC_Display2005-8a.jpg

Pict2478a.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Well done Chris!

Looking round today, it seems that most makers have opted for darker wood furniture. IMHO this makes the interior: a) gloomy, B) claustrophobic. As any good interior designer will tell you, keep to light colours to give an impression of space!

The Stealth Concordia was worst for this but apparently " you are the only person who thinks this!"

Is it just me, or don't they want to listen? But I will not be buying this year, nor will I be buying a 2012 model when they come up second hand. I want light and bright!!

Haven't been up yet, probably going in the next couple of days, can't wait! I've also noticed caravan designers using slightly darker wood tones but personally prefer these as they make the vans feel cosier inside, it's hardly like anyone has gone to dark walnut's or similar!!! Remember that all the vans you're seeing there are inside though and appear much dimmer in artificial light than they do in the sun. Also, isn't everyone sick of all the beech and pine interiors of just a few years ago, they're all so dated now, they remind me of "Changing Rooms" decor. It's nice there's more choice out there than everything being clones. There's the dark colours inside the Elddis', the mid tones in the Swifts, Lunars, Stealths, Coachmans, and a wierd mix of light and dark in Sterlings. You pay's your money and you takes your choice. Looking at the pics of the various vans on the net I think the Coachman and Sterlings present you with the lightest timber colour interiors though they're both a little odd in their colour schemes imho.

Went today and although it was crowded earlier on it cleared during the afternoon which enabled us to see the vans.

We saw a lot of really good vans BUT they were all much too heavy even though we have a reasonable 4x4. Loved one of the Elddis vans but you would need a fairly heavy weight of vehicle to tow it.

Lot of very dark wood in many of them which we don't like. Makes the vans so dark.

We don't really want to desert Swift after years of owning their vans but decided it was time for change as we don't like the new black fronts and the bus indicator boards at the front.

Their new Sport range didn't rock our boost at all.

So we have bought a Bailey Rimini which immediately felt at home in the moment we sat in it. Was offered a deal which we would have stupid to refuse. Never bought at a show before and we were amazed to find out it will be delivered in November.

We are going back on Thursday to have a look at the rest of the shows as we spent a lot of time just looking at vans.

One very big complaint!!!!!

The signage in the show is appalling. They have maps in the middle of the walkways but none of them have a "You are here arrow" on them so you haven' t got a clue where you are. We spent more time wandering round looking to find where different manufacturers where than in the vans themselves.

We sat down for lunch on the CC stand, having waited a while for a seat and found that many others were saying the same as us.

If you are intending to go then try and work out where you want to go first. The show catalogue is useless as it only has a plan of the halls and no plan of the manufacturers positions.

It is a big show so perhaps Chris will read this complaint and pass it on to the those that are organizing the show.

There are far more motorhomes than caravans again but they are all mixed up together. As Chris says Swift has the biggest stand. With Bailey perhaps the second. If only they would put high signs above their stands then you would have a better chance of navigating the halls. .

Regards.

Col

I loved the Monopod, the one on display was very stylish and always had a crowd around it

IH Leisure Monopod caravan. 1800kg Max towing weight and £41k +. This is serious money for a caravan,whether it is worth it is another matter.

This is a problem facing small scale manufacturers-costs. Irrespective of build quality and warranty what happens if this 'van goes out of production in the next 2 years and customers need parts and/or service items? IH target the high end motorhome market and they do appear to have some stunning products. Unless IH have at least £1M tucked away for long term investment in caravan manufacturing then in the present economic climate this is a risky venture IMO.

I hope they succeed with this radical new design and are able to bring more jobs to Knottingley.

Regards.

Col

I looked at one of the Carlights priced at £38k - build quaility was not the best in certain places and not sure how they justify cost. There were small holes in the cabinet where tacks had been inserted to hold it all together. !!

The quality of the "wood" was very plasticy and hollow - simliar to the mass produced vans.

They also all use same standard outside componets and appliances - Truma,Thetford ETC - so again where is the cost justified ??

I looked at one of the Carlights priced at £38k - build quaility was not the best in certain places and not sure how they justify cost. There were small holes in the cabinet where tacks had been inserted to hold it all together. !!

The quality of the "wood" was very plasticy and hollow - simliar to the mass produced vans.

They also all use same standard outside componets and appliances - Truma,Thetford ETC - so again where is the cost justified ??

Labour costs. Small volume= less technology= more manual assembly. Probably.

Regards.

Col

Archived