A More Believable Tow Car Of The Year.

AWanderingLancastrian

Hi to you all out there. Like many of you I'm sure, I was baffled by the CC findings and not least of all the VW Jetta result.

Practical Caravan dropped onto the carpet this morning (subscription). Yes, It was another VW but this time a far more believable offering and the others being judged were definitely in the realistically believable classes of Tow Car of The Year contender paddock.

I was a little surprised to see that the trusty old Volvo Stables did not have a contender in the winner classes.

It would be interesting to hear your views aired.

On a closer to home link albeit not strictly Tow-Car Awards,the issue of Caravan Awards also under the same banner.

I wonder if in the not so distant future that The Tow Car of The Year awards will be taken under the wing of the NCC?, just a thought !!. The reasoning behind my thinking is quite simply that I believe that the NCC could conduct a totally unbiased view, that is to say by not having caravans loaned & tow-vehicles leased at special rates or any other Trade Goodies' that might skew thinking a little.

The testers could be procured from an infinitely wide range of existing individuals and possibly even from the Genuine Caravanning Fraternity.

The tests could and should be conducted using new customer ready caravans from a range of manufacturers and dealerships up & down the country.

If the caravans were offered by the dealers at their cost price and aided by a manufacturer 'Test Caravan' price adjustment every one would stand to benefit via Tax Concessions under the banner of Business Advertisement Expenditure,this should take care of any differential between cost & raffle monies raised.

The caravans would then be loaded with a controlled range of typical items and the testing would be a considerably more realistic affair,

The caravans could then be Raffled Off to the buying public for a few pounds per ticket,this would help to achieve a number of benefits,not least of all caravans could be made available to an eager new caravanning audience as well as some older fixed income pensioner die-hards.

Edited by TheTravellingRooster

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi TR,

Head & Clouds comes to mind, the last time I read a CC report on caravan quallity and customer satisfaction Vanmaster was the only UK manufacturer in the top five,at well over 20 grand at the time ( I think about 10 yrs ago ) UK manufacturers were advised then to get their fingers out, I don't think they did and I certainly believe the CC have been very biased towards " homegrown " 'vans since. I've also got to advise that the CC club as are magazines are business's they sell what they want you to buy. Catch ya later,indoors.

I have very little time for these so called surveys. A bunch of so called experts "playing" with cars and caravans that some manufacturer has decided too lend them does not impress me at all especially from a club thats well known for sitting squarely on the fence.

peter.

My tow car report went striate into the recycle bin with out even looking at it.

I like to pick my own fiction to read. :D

Doosan

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

The title "tow car of the year" should be dropped, and maybe replaced with a different title such as " The most outstanding tow car overall "?

The caravans towed are realistic enough, most of the fixtures are fitted, looking at the picture in Whatcar (part of PC group).

And i don't see a lot wrong with water carriers as ballast.

What i would like to see is car price ignored, but kerb weight used to group the cars. But more importantly all the caravans in the same group should be ballast to the same weight.

Only then will performance figures and comparisons have any real meaning.

Also lets drop the nonsense were marks are given for accessibility to the towing sockets, and running costs, luggage area, etc.

All i want to know is what's the cars like to tow, not if i can afford it, or if the boot big enough, i think i can work that out for my self.

Give me towing consumption, stopping distances, mid range acceleration times, but towing the same caravan weight.

Edited by xtrailman

The problem with such 'competitions' is that they are snapshots, only marked over a period of a few days. What you really want is a long-term reliabilty report, which is where this, and other, forums come into their own.

Very true, we're working on building a "reviews" section, where we can compare towcars, caravans etc based on your experience with them over a decent period of time.

You can post your reviews here.

If we get enough data I'm sure we'd be able to create a more realistic, owners version of the top towcar competition.

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

If we get enough data I'm sure we'd be able to create a more realistic, owners version of the top towcar competition.

That would be a great idea - when I read the latest Practical Caravan magazine I also got the impression that it wasn't completely independent. I'd much rather read reviews on this forum because I know it's real world experience.

Very true, we're working on building a "reviews" section, where we can compare towcars, caravans etc based on your experience with them over a decent period of time.

Well any information is better than none. But I'm not sure how realistic random views will be from individuals who may or may not be experienced drivers and towers, on a variety of cars which may or may not be accurately described or properly set up, towing an equally diverse set of caravans over time periods, routes and roads that may well not be comparable with each other.

The Tow Car of the Year (CC) and Tow Car Awards (C&CC) that I have read about may not be perfect but they are at least more or less standardised tests by the same group of experience testers and do provide information on each car tested in a reasonably systematic fashion (especially the C&CC/Practical Caravan/What Car one in my opinion - I thought the CC Magazine report was very poor by comparison).

As one source of information, or an indication of what cars might be worth looking at more closely, I think they are useful though I would also want to check out the reliability surveys that are also published by Which? and What Car? Again, the reliability experienced by individual CT members isn't much to go by since anyone may have an exceptionally good or bad experience. And what are we to make of the fact that many of those who post here drive vehicles that are notorious for being the least reliable cars on the road!

The two awards are not perfect by any means: both focus on cars that are new this year (or substantially modified) and cars which are submitted by the makers which means they may not include the best (or most affordable) tow cars currently available. And of course there is no way of knowing the reliability of new models and there is no way of testing for it in the short term.

Edited by lottie

It is the towcar groupings that get me. All done by price alone, not what the vehicles are capable of pulling. Like many others, I have a quite heavy caravan wieghing in with a MPLA of 1630Kg so the so called Tow Car of the Year is totally unsuitable for my van. Why dont they put it into Kerbside Weight groups. That way you will be able to more easily judge, like for like.

I also noticed that several car manufacturers vehicles were totally missed out of the test many of which are more frequently used for towing that the Jetta. Why was this?

So, the Tow Car of the Year really is. ...The best we could be bothered to Test Car of the Year!

Not impressed!

How can it be Towcar of the Year when they never pull a caravan up a wet grassy slope on a CL or Rally field?

Yes it really is. ...The best we could be bothered to Test Car of the Year!

It is the towcar groupings that get me. All done by price alone, not what the vehicles are capable of pulling. Like many others, I have a quite heavy caravan wieghing in with a MPLA of 1630Kg so the so called Tow Car of the Year is totally unsuitable for my van. Why dont they put it into Kerbside Weight groups. That way you will be able to more easily judge, like for like.

I also noticed that several car manufacturers vehicles were totally missed out of the test many of which are more frequently used for towing that the Jetta. Why was this?

So, the Tow Car of the Year really is. ...The best we could be bothered to Test Car of the Year!

Not impressed!

I agree - grouping by price rather than by weight is crazy.

I daresay some obvious competitors are missing because the competition is based on the cars that the manufacturers choose to submit rather than those the judges might choose to test.

The Camping and Caravanning Club's review this summer did just that - group by kerbweight, but they could add more useful info too, I'm sure. What about the realistic situation of towing a caravan upto the car's legal limit - not just the 85%. The club's know that people will tow beyond 85% so why not give people some more detailed honest review that goes right up to the legal limit - then we'd know if the car's quoted tow limit is reliable or just hot air.

Otherwise for example, my next car purchase is more of a gamble than I'd prefer.

The Camping and Caravanning Club's review this summer did just that - group by kerbweight, but they could add more useful info too, I'm sure. What about the realistic situation of towing a caravan upto the car's legal limit - not just the 85%. The club's know that people will tow beyond 85% so why not give people some more detailed honest review that goes right up to the legal limit - then we'd know if the car's quoted tow limit is reliable or just hot air.

Otherwise for example, my next car purchase is more of a gamble than I'd prefer.

I don't agree with this. The clubs recommend a maximum tow of 85% and it would be inconsistent for them to ignore this in their testing. If you and others ignore the 85% guideline, its up to you if you want a higher risk gamble. But the guideline is there for a good reason. ...