Oily Pig Tail - Should I Be Concerned?

RobJS

Hi all, I've run my van on calor lite propane this year, just coming to the end of the bottle when packing the van up at the end of it's. First seasonal pitch and when I removed the pig tail, I noticed that it was ever so slightly oily. Should I be worried about that or is it normal. It was a new pig tail and the van wasn't run on gas before connecting this bottle as it was new. Your advice is appreciated! Thanks!

It is not uncommon to get a small oily yellowish deposit in the flexible tails, and so that this oil cannot run into the regulator and cause it to fail, the regulator should always be mounted higher than the supplying bottle.

We have had a number of vehicles that run on LPG, and these have all had a gas filter on the low pressure side to collect the long chain molecules that form this oily substance. For the vehicles these filters are changed once a year, but then many many litres of gas will have flowed through them by then, so I would imagine the effect is not so pronounced for the relatively small amount of gas used on caravans, and any excess should just run back into the supply cylinder.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Your caravan should be fitted with a Clesse regulator which will not suffer the same blockage as the GOK does.

The oily residue will pass through the regulator and most will be burnt off, but over time will collect in the pipework and potentially block it.

So as long as regulator is higher then it's ok? Why is this happening? Is there anything I can do to stop/rectify? You say about will block over time- so how would this be unblocked? Thanks

It helps if the regulator is higher than the cylinder valve and the pigtail runs downhill from the regulator as the oil will run back into the cylinder.

There is nothing you can do to stop it happening, the oil is in suspension in the gas, and until Calor and other suppliers clean up the gas it wil continue to happen.

Blocking of pipes will take several years, normally, and draining and cleaning the pipework is the only remedial course but must be done by a qualified engineer.

It is also helpful when not using the van to close the cylinder valve and burn off any gas still in the pipes by lighting the cooker hob until it uses up the gas.

I let my pigtails loop down now to catch the oil in the pigtail pipe then at the end of the season I disconnect the bottle and drop the bottle connector ends down so the oil can drain out over the winter .

I also now everytime I finish with the gas after a holiday shut the bottle and burn off the gas at the hob .

Dave

thanks all for the replys, thats a great help.

Cheers

Rob

Quote "I let my pigtails loop down now to catch the oil in the pigtail pipe then at the end of the season "

Absolutely the WRONG thing to do.

The pigtails should have a continuous downhill run from the regulator to the cylinder.

If oil residue collects in the loop as suggested by the poster, as soon as gas is called for, the residue will be forced into the regulator.

Archived