Bailey Olympus 464 2010/11

the dale

We bought one in May 2010. . one of the earlier versions. We have heard of others who have had a lot of stone-chip damage to their front ends. . but a retro fit front panel stick on was introduced. . we haven't had any issues with that. .. but. ...

1. Don't tell Bailey about the noseweight issue. . they'll tell you it's a load of tosh and ask why is it only recently we are considering noseweight. . well, Bailey. . maybe it's something to do with max noseweight our vehicle's can handle. . becomes a safety issue and also an insurance 'get out of paying up' clause. Yes. . mine has noseweight issue. . can't carry gas up front or I go to 120Kg (car does 100Kg). I don't know why the heck they put the water heater stuff under the front seat. .. when the 464 has fixed bed and oodles of room under it (exactly where the heater was on my Pageant Bordeaux which I never had a noseweigh issue with, or any adverse safety issue while towing). Noseweight is one that Bristol Uni boffins got wrong !!! They overlooked the definition of 'the moment of a force'. If 82Kg unladen noseweight is not a problem then why do you now put the leisure battery to the rear of the wheel, eh??

2. Grill didn't stay lit when turned on low (though I didn't consider this really a Bailey issue - more the manufacturers of the grill who had put a washer on the wrong side when fitting the thermo sensor in the grill. . sorted quickly and no issues since)

3. Plastic door panel in shower area - during the trip home from the dealer it cracked from the top to half way down. They had fitted a screen with no support across the panel and the bracket to keep it closed. . was fitted at the mid point of the plast - i. e. the weakest point. Had new screen with no quibble and note tht the new screen has the strengthening piece added. Newer models should have the stronger version fitted. (Personally, I took our screen out altogether which makes greater space in the loo. . never use the shower anyway)

4. Another one the design tean failed with is the FULL issue of thermal insulation. Fair play, they did a fab job of keeping the van warmer for winter caravanners like my wife and I. A massive improvement on its predecessor, our Pageant S5. What they had failed to understand is that the aluminium frames of the windows fitted will gather a lot of condensation which, on the side windows, trickles over the edge and into the space between the outer and inner skins of the caravan wall. Not a problem, I hear you say. .. There's no wood or other material in the wall that can rot. .. and you'd be quire right. . but unless I turn my van upside-down, that water will go down through the wall where it will encounter the floor that the wall is fixed to. .. and guess what the floor is made of ?? plywood bonded to polystyrene in laminates. I wonder how long I will have to wait for mine to delaminate !!

5. I also have some little niggles about the trim used to cover the alutech chassis bolts. .. it is cheap and removing it for bolt-tightness checking will weaken it. Several of my trim panels are already hanging away from their original position.

6. The latest issue - the Joking. . oops a typo. .. Jokon LED lights in the front grabrails. .. three LEDs in one strip have failed and do you think I can get this done on warranty. .. okay. .. just tell me where I can get the right part to put it right. .. YOU look for yourself !!

That said. . I do believe that the Olly is a fantastic value for money bit of kit. Of the issues listed above. .. the only one that really bothers me is the noseweight which I can do nothing about (and I have tried juggling stuff about when loading, but at the risk of tail-waggle-dog syndrome !!) The other issues, I can resolve.

We bought our Oly in November last year. It is our first ever caravan after 20 years of tenting and we absolutely love it. We went for this model as it is narrower than others and not too heavy, as we are new to towing. We have had 50 nights in it so far (and we are going away at half term and already booked for new year) so we think that we are doing quite well for first timers. It is going in for it's first service early November. I have asked them to look at the ATC (I have posted previously about this) as I keep getting the solid red light, along with the brakes (which are squeaky) and the 13 pin plug - I have asked them to replace this as it kept misaligning and we have now broken one of the tabs on it. Other than that it is a great van - the water heater is now under the bed and we travel with 2 calor light gas bottles in the front, with a noseweight of around 90kg (our mondeo maximum). I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

I believe that I met you at Teversal. Glad that you are getting on with the van.

I have an Oly 464 - December 2010

My only serious issue is with the nose weight. I am having to change my tow car from a saloon to a 4x4 to get a 100KG nose weight limit.

In December 2010 build, Bailey must have listened to 'Arrow' above, they moved the water heater from under the front bed to under the fixed bed. This meant that my van had a nose weight of only 90-100Kg on delivery. Other posts and rants elsewhere. I can just achieve 75Kg but 100Kg will be much more easily achieved without doing 'unnatural actions' like deliberately carrying 'ballast' just to achieve 75Kg.

A couple of the LEDs in the front sitting area failed. Dealer supplied replacement (I didn't ask him to fit).

Otherwise nothing else of note.

I have done a number of mods.

Built a two draw unit for the front - removable for travelling so that it doesn’t hurt the nose weight, also a hook on table that lives between the fixed bed and the kitchen when not in use. This freed up the van's table for the awning. Both these two items were built using B&Q Kitchen Unit doors and drawers; the colour match is almost perfect.

I have significantly improved the lighting in the van:-

Doubled the Lounge area LED lighting - one row warm white and another bright white. Gives the option of better mood lighting or a nice bright reading/card playing light.

Doubled the kitchen area LED lighting

Installed a fluorescent light in the roof for the kitchen area

Installed LED lighting over the fixed bed - much softer and better than the spot lights.

Removed the Shower screen door and installed a shower curtain - much more room in toilet/shower area + we rarely use the shower itself.

Realigned the waste pipes to give a continuous fall and hence allow the waste water to actually flow away.

Installed shelf in most of the overhead lockers that didn’t have shelves - much more useful storage areas.

Overall we like the Oly 464 very much. It is very comfortable and easy to live in.

Not wanting to hijack the post too much - just wanted to say Hi to Colonel. Yes it was us at Teversal - thanks for trying to help us. We had a great time and are going back this New Year. Looks like you did not keep your Olympus long - did you not like it?