Towing Issues With New Barcelona

nobbyking1

anyboby got any probs towing the barcelona? using a new navara n the van wants to "drive" the truck at anything over 55mph, not really comfortable at real low speed either.

have tried loading at various nose weights to no avail. ..could it be the truck?? would truck tyre pressures change things. Love the van but thinking of camping in the driveway to save the journey!!!!!

I am towing the same with a Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Auto my kerb weight is less than the Navara, 1910Kg checked on a weigh bridge no driver. I am towing at about 89% of the vehicle kerb weight. I try to tow as close to the 90KG nose weight as the Volvo will allow. Towing speed is usually 55-60 mph by choice, and tows very well. We all get the occasional wobble ruts in the road huge vehicles passing etc but no worries so far. I do pump my car tyres up to the maximum/economy pressure of 39 psi, then back down to 35 psi for solo driving.

JGC

Not a Barcelona but we tow a Madrid with a navara. Have you pumped up the tyres to pressures for max load ? Made a big difference to us. I also tow with a sock link which makes for a smooth tow.

Towing a Barcelona with a Freelander 2 and not encountered any problems. On motorways generally stick to between 55 and 60 when traffic allows although have went above that a little for a short distance to get past slow moving hgv. Never encountered any problems (touch wood)

Not towed a Barcelona, the only TA i have towed was a Bessacarr Cameo 625 GL (simular weight) with my pathy & i left the tyres the same, just a smoother ride.

now with a valencia & the tyre psi is up on the van but i still leave the pathy with the same tyre psi & it's still a smooth ride.

mmmmm i think it a personal choice as for wear on the tyres on your tow car.

Ray

Don't forget ray the pathy has completely different rear suspension set up to the navara. Way bouncier than the pathy

Yep was forgetting that the navara is more for commercial loading so has a lower tow weight than the pathfinder,

Now wondering if nobbyking1 would be better going backwards & start using the snakemaster to compensate if he's not already?

Ray

have you tried half a ton of bricks to hold the back of the Navara down? :)

Looked at another way. Is it because the van is acting like a pendulum because it is not balanced properly.

(To much weight behind the wheels?)

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

We tow a 624 with a Nissan Patrol dont even know its on the back. Went down to Spain this summer downing 60 -65 most of the way down ( dont moan about speed . ... ) Tyers @ 29 frount, 32 @ back. Also had the van wheels balanced. And we get 29mpg (chiped)

(Don't think i would like to tow 624 or a Barcelona with freelander 2 )

I am changing my Valencia for a Unicorn Pamplona MTPLM 1773Kg recon this is about 90% of mass in service of FL2.

Hope I don't get the problems of the Navara. First time towing a twin axle although 20K miles towing a single axle.

Has anybody else towed this weight with a Freelander 2, or experienced the Tail wagging the Dog problem?

The pickups have leaf springs so may be a bit stiff on the back so as four star suggested maybe put stuff in the back. ( Not sure about half ton of bricks!).

Maybe awning aquarolls etc Even a bag of sand.

We tow an Almeria with a 58 plate Nav, my first experience of towing a caravan.

I noticed on the return from our first trip that the outfit seemed a bit 'twitchy', but have found since that if we increase the noseweight of the caravan to near the max, and increase the tyre pressures on the Nav to the fully loaded pressures then it is steady as a rock.