My First Caravan - Photo

springtime

Yup it's an old Sprite.

This picture was taken 33 / 34 years ago - I think it was at Graffam Site.

I bought the caravan for £50 and sold it 2 years later for £50 - 4 berth but I'm not sure how old it was.

As for the towcar - a Citroen CX2400 Estate - absolutely superb - like driving in an armchair.

Does anybody have pictures of their first caravan?

post-43771-0-14192300-1318265674_thumb.jpg

your awning is the same colour as my old frame tent was lol my first van pic is on my gallery it was a 1986 abi marauder only bought it 4th Nov 2004 then 4 years later on 4th Nov bought an even older van which is the 1982 cosalt safari

Posh !!!! You had a gas bottle box instead of the two cylinder outside . :lol: I fitted one on my Alpine as well .

Thats a late 60 s caravan with the Green as early-mid 70s they changed to brown

Dave

your awning is the same colour as my old frame tent was lol my first van pic is on my gallery it was a 1986 abi marauder only bought it 4th Nov 2004 then 4 years later on 4th Nov bought an even older van which is the 1982 cosalt safari

So what happened to your van on 5th November ? :rolleyes:

My 1984 Sprite Musketeer and my 1993 Rover Sterling. This was taken on our second caravanning trip in 2005. The car was great, powerful, all the toys and comfotable with big leather seats and deep pile carpets. ...why did I get rid? oh well. ..

Having trouble uploading photo. ..I'll try later!

Does anybody have pictures of their first caravan?
My Parent's 'van, sited near Sandown, IOW.

IOW 1957 a.jpg

Isle of White 1957 (I'm the little one in the doorway with my mother)

Although I borrowed several caravans this was the first 'van I owned.

Elddis_Whirlwind_027a.jpg

Cheddar Gorge 1985 and my 1967 Elddis Whirlwind

Note the luxurious awning with "en-suite"

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Gordon there wasn't much sun would get in that awning lol
"The large bay window was at the hidden end", he lied. .. LOL

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

post-1078-0-00438500-1318280794_thumb.jpg

got the picture on at last!

Just posted mine in the Gallery

A three berth Sprite that set me back £350. The Austin Princess cost me another £300. B)

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Just posted mine in the Gallery

A three berth Sprite that set me back £350. The Austin Princess cost me another £300. B)

I've just seen it. ..brilliant takes me right back!

My first caravan in 2003 was an old but modernised and done up Sprite 400. The next one a couple of years later was a Sprite Alpine that was very similar to your pic Sprite :D Was my fave caravan out the lot of the caravan's i've had. Happy with mine today but the Sprite Alpine was my fave. It was my stupidity selling it and getting a bigger caravan only to find more problems with it, ah well you learn from your mistakes.

I'll need to dig out some pictures of my old caravans, think in my gallery there's a pic of my big old romany gypsy one I had for a bit last year before I got my current one. Loved that too but it was just too much to repair and I think if it had've moved it would have fell to bits! A guy tough came and got it as he was going to restore it all to it's former glory. :)

Compass Shadow 1988

Have a look here:

Happy days

Dave

What alot of nice pics, it seems Sprite's were the "in" caravan back then? They certainly were the best i've ever had :)

Compass Shadow 1988

Have a look here:

Happy days

Dave

I had a Wind Slammer. Very good if fitted correctly.

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I had a Wind Slammer. Very good if fitted correctly.
Yep we had one too, painted white to match the car. Found it next to useless for saving fuel, although it did effectively keep down the bug population on the front of the caravan after a long run, so it must have been doing something. Many folks I knew also made their own, often from plywood fitted on a roof bar, although I suspect they lost any advantage gained with the caravan on tow, as I rarely saw anyone take them off again when driving off site solo.

Gordon.

Brings back memories . I liked the Sprite Alpine we had and thought it was very compact being a 5 berth in a 12 ft caravan . A mate had a Sprite Musketeer he chopped the back off and made it open up in two halves so the bottom lowered to become a ramp altered the furniture to move forward and used it to put a hovercraft in it to move and stay while away a hovercraft meetings . When he had finished with it he stripped it down sold the Aluminium and gave me the Chassis which i then turned into a car trailer and then sold and went on to be used for Mini racing cars . :lol: Might even be on the road today .

The Sprite popularity of the time was through Sam Alper "Mr Caravan" and they were built to last and cheap he used to tow his caravans on test across europe . 10000 mls

http://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Sam_Alper

Dave

A mate had a Sprite Musketeer he chopped the back off and made it open up in two halves so the bottom lowered to become a ramp altered the furniture to move forward and used it to put a hovercraft in.

When he had finished with it he stripped it down sold the Aluminium and gave me the Chassis which i then turned into a car trailer and then sold and went on to be used for Mini racing cars

That sounds like recycling at its best Dave.

If anyone's interested, here's a couple of other caravans I've had over the years.

Orestes.jpg

Outfit 1988a.jpg

Outfit 1993.jpg

Outfit 1999a.jpg

Outfits.jpg

I have a correction to make to my spec of first van. It was a 4 berth. The previous owner had removed the bunk set-up.

Was trying to upload a pic of my sprite alpine but keep getting "internal server error" so will try again later :wacko:

Compass Shadow 1988

Was trying to upload a pic of my sprite alpine but keep getting "internal server error" so will try again later :wacko:

Me too and I know it was a proper size etc. Maybe teething problems because the server is still sorting out our posts.(new content)

Size (600 x 450) 192kb I can't think that is too big?

Update. ............. It worked at 600 x 415

I had the 'internal server error yesterday. ..I had to make a copy of the photo, resize it so it took less memory and then reposted. ..that worked!

Love the caravans, Gordon. ..a definate Avondale bias! I like the third one down.

Archived