Design Your Own Caravan ?

happy hippo2

After looking at various manufacturers caravans,why are there no major manufacturers that offer a deign your own caravan layout and interior . if they were to make a shell to set dimensions,we,the users could then layout the interior, as we want it, just like kitchen designers do their designs. Of course the cost would be more,and various rules would have to be followed,ie location of heavy items, like a cooker and fridge, if required, but wouldn't this be fun, a bespoke caravan designed by you for you. I think im on to a winner!

Edited by happy hippo2

Hi. Bailey did this a few years ago. Design your won Bailey. It was to commemorate their Diamond Jubilee year

The winning layout was allegedly to go into production. The winning layout made no real sense at all but allegedly two were made and then SHhhhhhhhhhhhh. gone.

It was called The Bailey Bramble or Brambles after the family name that submitted it.

I believe it was based on the Wyoming

As I recall it was the year that Roland Rivron opened the show.

Edited by TheTravellingRooster

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

After looking at various manufacturers caravans,why are there no major manufacturers that offer a deign your own caravan layout and interior . if they were to make a shell to set dimensions,we,the users could then layout the interior, as we want it, just like kitchen designers do their designs. Of course the cost would be more,and various rules would have to be followed,ie location of heavy items, like a cooker and fridge, if required, but wouldn't this be fun, a bespoke caravan designed by you for you. I think im on to a winner!

Would this make the 'van more expensive?

I wonder,

BO

surely not using mass production techniques would increase the price ? . but would caravaners be prepared to pay the extra for something that suits there needs completely, how many times have you looked in a new van and said " i like this but. ......,...."

just been on there websites, thats the sort of thing i'm on about, but i want a van that you can use, those, expecially roma id be too afraid of using it, incase i damaged or dirtied it, if you know what i mean.

I believe the Bailey Bramble was sold as a Bailey Ardennes. There was a thread on this forum not so long ago from someone who wanted to source one. From what I can recall Baileys made approximately 60 units, so they are rare, but they have very strong second hand values.

M

Edited by majorraglan

I have written to Bailey and others with ideas and just get told there's no demand or I just get ignored. The people who design the 'vans would NOT open the bathroom door onto the cooker as they do on many. My last 2 'vans I have had to modify so the door opens INTO the bathroom, you would be surprised how much bigger the room feels, plus you can leave the door open when not in use so you feel to have a bigger 'van and the added bonus is that it keeps the bathroom warm!!!!. My other ideas include doing away with the bunks and putting in reclining chairs one side and then a fixed bed at the other side. I know this will make it only a 2 berth but that's all we want and the one thing we really miss is our recliners . Just an idea, but no one listens :( Peter

Edited by peterjohn

I have written to Bailey and others with ideas and just get told there's no demand or I just get ignored. The people who design the 'vans would NOT open the bathroom door onto the cooker as they do on many. My last 2 'vans I have had to modify so the door opens INTO the bathroom, you would be surprised how much bigger the room feels, plus you can leave the door open when not in use so you feel to have a bigger 'van and the added bonus is that it keeps the bathroom warm!!!!. My other ideas include doing away with the bunks and putting in reclining chairs one side and then a fixed bed at the other side. I know this will make it only a 2 berth but that's all we want and the one thing we really miss is our recliners . Just an idea, but no one listens :( Peter

Hi Peter. The notion of designing/creating your own caravan design/layout has been around a very long time.

The truth of the matter is that with modern CAD-CAM and CNC equipment it is easier to accomplish and in smaller numbers.

With the caravan industry becoming more like the fitted kitchen industry every day I believe that it is more feasible than ever,they could even be done on the basis of Dealer Specials. Typically our Elddis Crusader SuperSirocco has an OS fixed bed,it would have been better for us it it had been on the NS. It looks perfectly feasible to mirror image the caravan from the position of the sliding privicy/divider doors.

A selective policy of a modicum of Bespoke introduced into the major builds might help to retain brand loyalty instead of the drifting & shifting that goes on.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

buy the nearest layout which suits you and then get on of the manufactured approved workshops to modify it to your needs. but be aware, what is one mans food is another mans poison though, and lasting modifications which cannot be changed back will seriously effect resale values

Edited by Reads

Hi again to you all. Further to my post #2 on this topic and reminded by 'majorraglan' the Bailey Ardennes AKA Bailey Bramble was submitted by a family of Mum,Dad and two children. I believe that the children were one of each. This layout meant that the the adults were passing the children in their sleeping area screened only by a lightweight curtain to go to the wash-room,any kitchen activity was right next to the children and the adults had to create beds before they could retire for the night.

How long can children of opposite sex be allowed to sleep in the same bed as each other?. A layout such as this is/was restricts a potential sale as a pre-owned caravan and only really puts it into the domain of very young mixed sex children or those with either two boys or two girls and that is assuming that they are comfortable sleeping in each others company. Chances are that they have their own beds at home; even if they share a bedroom. It is hardly surprising that it had a limited production run.

I personally found the 'Winning Design' a bit of a puzzle and question the rationale behind the decision to award the prize to this layout/couple. I say that in the light of the fact that the Bailey Pageant Series 7 was a model range ready for Madame Guillotine and the choice of Ardennes as a model variant I also find strange.

I would have thought that in the light of the forthcoming ranges and constructional changes that Bailey had in the 'Pipe-line' that they would have questioned the motives of the judges,especially as a number were made up from the industry.

The design has not been carried over into their 'New Offerings',I wonder why?. There were indeed only 60 made in the form of the Ardennes.

Hi to you all that are following the Bailey of Bristol section. I asked Admin to move a copy of a reply/post that I had submitted over into the section. They have in fact moved the whole of the post up-to and including the last reply that I had contributed.

The reason that I asked for it to be done (My input as post #11 of the original) was to get reactions/responses from anyone that had either bought a new Bailey Ardennes or had bought a pre-owned example of the very limited edition caravan,or for that matter knows someone with one that may not be a forum member,only 60 were produced.

TR

I haven't actually seen a Bailey Ardennes in the flesh, but looking at the lay out on promotional literature the sleeping arrangements appear very similar to the Bailey Olympus 504 (which we have) and the Bailey Orion 440/4. Other manufacturers offer a similar layout. Not sure about the resale value and will have to wait and see, but the van does for us.

M

TR

I haven't actually seen a Bailey Ardennes in the flesh, but looking at the lay out on promotional literature the sleeping arrangements appear very similar to the Bailey Olympus 504 (which we have) and the Bailey Orion 440/4. Other manufacturers offer a similar layout. Not sure about the resale value and will have to wait and see, but the van does for us.

M

Hi majorraglan. I have gone through the Bailey product range and searched the Olympus layout plans but cannot see a 504!.

However the Orion is indeed similar but the dinette/supplementary sleeping is on the opposite side to the Ardennes.

What is your family make-up that the 504 "does it for us"?.

motorhome owners, particularly vw camper van owners have been designing their own interiors for a very long time. my son and i designed and built the interior of our vw,(hubby did the engine, we all did bodywork) , to meet our needs. we used supplies from caravan shops, B&Q and fabric from John Lewis.

i now have a caravan and would be quite happy to rebuild any of the interior if it didnt suit us. we have the van for our pleasure - not as a financial investment!

ps - the van suffered a terminal engine fire - hence the defection to caravan. ( and getting older was another factor :huh:

The Olympus Range has been discontinued, the Orion range has been introduced instead. Me, SWMBO and 2 boys aged 10 and 8.

M

Hi majorraglan. You and yours fit perfectly into the model of the ideal customers for that particular configuration.

The next burning issue is likely to be the boys outgrowing the sleeping area and having to change/upgrade your caravan,unless of course you upgrade beforehand.

TR,

You are right, the next change is likely to be a more difficult choice. We have had the fixed bunk option and have outgrown that hence the 504, we aren't keen on the fixed bed option so we will have to give it some serious thought and I suspect a trip to the NEC or similar to check out all the products. It may be that we will use a pup tent or go with an inner tent or annexe we have a few options and will see how it goes. Maybe i can persuade her to go for a Polar!

M

Back to the original topic - I think you will find that the real reason for no choice is that components are computer ordered and the flow is computer controlled. This would make sourcing the individual products to fit into a single caravan much more difficult to achieve and control on a production line.