What Do You Think Of Caravan Canopies

We have had a Fiamma Caravanstore for several years now, we normally put it on the van in early Spring and tale it off in the late Autmn, the rest of the year we use a lightweight porch awning just to throw our wet clothes in. Our Caravan store must have travelled well over 30,000 miles and it still looks like new and does exactly what it's supposed to do. If I wanted anopther for any reason, it would definitely be the same again!

We have had a Fiamma Caravanstore for several years now,

we have the same, when it's not on the van, it's up in the garden, i installed a awning rail on the brick shed, multi purpose canopy, hope this helps

We think they're brill. We have, over the years, had just about every size and type of awning you could mention but for the last few years we've only used our fiamma caravanstore. However, there are only the two of us in a four berth caravan and most of our caravanning is done abroad where the weather is almost guaranteed and we just about live outdoors. In this country we don't take any awning.

We have a side panel for the fiamma which we've used once I think, it's more of a privacy screen. We have also recently bought a sunshade thing from Lilypad Sunshades which slides across the front of the fiamma, in the channel, to give us some shade when the sun is beating down, and are very pleased with it, it really makes a difference.

Some people are wary of travelling with an awning attached to the caravan but we've not had any issues with it and will continue to travel with it on. It is, after all, made to be used that way.

im deffo getting a fiamma next year- the full awning on my olympus is great but what a faff putting it up and down!

I keep the weight down and use a simple one with 3 poles.

http://www. riverswayleisure. co. uk/acatalog/info_190020. html

Good price as well. Does the job well.

End of season now but next year the full range should be available again?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

They do have a following although I have heard both good and bad reports. Some people seem to have an awful job getting it back into the bag, especially when wet, and you need a step to reach it. The only thing I would advise is to look at your payload. If you have a good payload say 200kg plus then the weight of this will not be significant, but if less than 200 kg then it may be better to have a normal canopy you can carry in the tow vehicle. They are also a lot more expensive than a normal canopy, so the choice is yours.

We think they're brill. We have, over the years, had just about every size and type of awning you could mention but for the last few years we've only used our fiamma caravanstore. However, there are only the two of us in a four berth caravan and most of our caravanning is done abroad where the weather is almost guaranteed and we just about live outdoors. In this country we don't take any awning.

We have a side panel for the fiamma which we've used once I think, it's more of a privacy screen. We have also recently bought a sunshade thing from Lilypad Sunshades which slides across the front of the fiamma, in the channel, to give us some shade when the sun is beating down, and are very pleased with it, it really makes a difference.

Some people are wary of travelling with an awning attached to the caravan but we've not had any issues with it and will continue to travel with it on. It is, after all, made to be used that way.

Hi Dave,

As most of of caravanning is done in France/Spain I am interested in a sunshade to fit our Fiamma Caravanstore, I have just had a look on the Lilypad web page and can only find the wind ones, can you please send us a link for the sunshades?

Hi all,

I for many years used a Fiama caravan store, on the awning rail, my last 'van a Ausie spec' GEIST came with a Omnistor rollout fitted to the roof, this Hymer I've got came with a Fiama but it also has a fitted step and I'm bxggered if I can be bothered to take another set of steps with me just to reach ( on a Hymer ) this very high awning rail. We've just purchased the old favourite a Dorema Sun Canopy. The beauty of these compared to fixed ones are that they are easily and very quickly taken down in emergencies ie: middle of night when its windy. Catch ya later,indoors.

We've never had any problem taking ours down, wet or dry, it rolls up perfectly into the bag and is very quick to do. We use the caravan step for the extra bit of height needed to fully close the zip. We were initially worried about how it would shape up in the wind but have been pleasantly surprised how sturdy it is and just how much of a wind it copes with using a storm strap. It's a doddle to take down though if the wind does get up too much, literally takes a couple of minutes.

Terry, that's the one, the windblocker, although why it's called that I can't imagine. It's made of very lightweight mesh and doesn't stop any wind but it's great for blocking the sun. Whilst in France in June we had towels pegged along the front of the fiamma when the sun came round just when we were eating our evening meal and it was someone on site who suggested Lilypad. We bought one and took it back to France with us last month and used it a few times. It's very effective and very quick and easy to use. Highly recommended.

Hi Dave,

As most of of caravanning is done in France/Spain I am interested in a sunshade to fit our Fiamma Caravanstore, I have just had a look on the Lilypad web page and can only find the wind ones, can you please send us a link for the sunshades?

We have one of these for the end of our Caravanstore and it does provide a reasonable amount of shade as well as keeping the wind (and some rain!) off. It's a great addition - very light and easy to attach. I think Lilypad only do the one version which is a fine mesh made out of a nylon type material.

And the Caravanstore itself is excellent - no problems in the 5 years we've had it installed. It stays on the van year round quite happily.

Just one comment if you do a lot of touring in France and Spain. Fitting side walls and fronts to a sunshade can make the inside quite hot, sometinmes better to leave it all open to stay cool. I have bought a Dutch one which is a compromise. It can be either just a sunshade or has half and half side panels. It can also be fitted with front panels if you so wish, but these are only available in Holland.

It has the advantage of being more rigid than s imple canopy, but still is very light to carry

The Lilypad one is made of mesh which allows the breeze through but keeps the sun, or most of it, out. Obviously you would only put it up (takes 30 seconds) if the sun was causing a problem. The other advantage is that because it's mesh you can still see through it so you don't miss anything :)

What's the one you have Dave225, can it be viewed on-line somewhere?

If anyone is interested I am selling my Caravanstore Zip 2. 8 metres long, complete with the walls and front to make up a complete awning. Please p. m. me for more info if interested. Peter.

Pete,

I have bought one of these. As you can see it has 'voorwand' or front panels as an option. If you are really 'twee' you can also get a matching tablecloth and lightshade, just the thing to impress the neighbours. One reason I picked this was the fact I can get a matching sunshade for the front window as shown on the first picture.

http://www. dorema. nl/panorama. php

Hi all,

I for many years used a Fiama caravan store, on the awning rail, my last 'van a Ausie spec' GEIST came with a Omnistor rollout fitted to the roof, this Hymer I've got came with a Fiama but it also has a fitted step and I'm bxggered if I can be bothered to take another set of steps with me just to reach ( on a Hymer ) this very high awning rail. We've just purchased the old favourite a Dorema Sun Canopy. The beauty of these compared to fixed ones are that they are easily and very quickly taken down in emergencies ie: middle of night when its windy. Catch ya later,indoors.

We have a Dorema canopy as well - we carry it in addition to our full awning and when only staying a few days just rely on the canopy. Its very cheap, easy to put up and take down and doesn't weigh much or put any strain on the awning rail which would bother me.

But like any canopy, you have to be ready to take it down when the wind gets up and under. .

I have also had the Dorema sun canopy until now and liked it but as mentioned did have to take it down on windy nights as it could lift. , I tied a rope across the middle which helped but then it rattled and groaned keeping us awake, so eventually just got up and did the deed. I could drop it in 2 minutes and haveit stuffed into the car. Did not eevn have to undo the pegs. What I have now is stronger due to the rigid frame, but only a kilo or so heavier, so i hope to get the best of both worlds. At least that is the plan.

We had a local company make us a sun canopy to match and fit onto our doreema porch or directly onto the caravan awning rail and have used it in both modes for 2 years now. It is excellent. we have used it in extra strong winds with a storm strap on and it has never moved. To see it go to my website www. joysofeuopeancaravanning. co. uk and look on page Useful Accessories.

Edited by snooks

We've just had a second season with a Caravanstore Zip and find it just suits us perfectly. Easy to erect, easy to dismantle and always available on the awning rail.

PS I'm looking for zip sides and a front for a 3. 6m Caravanstore if anyone can help.

We've just had a second season with a Caravanstore Zip and find it just suits us perfectly. Easy to erect, easy to dismantle and always available on the awning rail.

PS I'm looking for zip sides and a front for a 3. 6m Caravanstore if anyone can help.

Glad you're enjoying it Hawkeye!! ;)

G.

You may have problem with the awning light position as I have on my new Swift Challenger

It used to be easy to remove /reposition the light by unscrewing but the Swift one has no apparent fixings and despite asking how its fitted on the Swift website I can get no information other than my dealer telling me that its stuck on and you won't get it off

The Bailey ranges seem to have an over the door LED light which also does no favours to canopy users

I also have a bolt on self retracting 3m Omnistor with Safari room which can not be fitted because of the nice looking but in the way LED awning light :unsure: and so it will have to be left on the shelf or sold !

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

Dave225, we have something very similar sitting on a shelf in our garage. We used it very happily for a good number of years but now having bought and used the fiamma, we'd never go back. These days we're anything for an easy life and the fiamma gives us just that. As always though, it's each to their own, we all have our own many and varied reasons for our choices :)