BOAC

Subject (Please be descriptive) Caravan towing Discussion Thread Response (Abby (UK)) 10/10/2011 12. 27 PM

Yes, I know this post belongs elsewhere, but since that area is less looked at I have posted it in caravan chat so more members will read it and be helped by the contained infomation. Please may I request the Mods do not move it for a week or so. thanks

Dear Mr oklahoma,

This is Abby from TomTom Customer support. We are always happy to help.

I understand that you want to know if you can set your TomTom device only to select appropriate roads for your Caravan.

Kindly confirm if I have understood your query correctly.

Please be assured I will provide you all the information regarding your query.

You are using a car navigation TomTom device. Since Caravan is a bigger vehicle, you will require bigger roads to navigate.

The HGV (Heavy Goods Vehicle) software is considered to be commercial GPS software which TomTom has set up for fleet navigation.

For more information on TomTom Business Solutions, please see http://business. tomtom. com/

Recently we have started to sell this on personal devices such as the GO 7000 through Maplin and the Freight Transport Association. We do also have some SD cards that are being sold for use on the 20 series (GO 520, 720, 920) through selected retailers. The software cannot be downloaded yet.

If you have purchased Truck Navigation device or software for personal use, the support details are slightly different. Please contact TomTom Business Solutions through http://business. tomt. ..upport/contact/

Thank you for your valuable time.

Have a nice weekend.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Alternatively, visit our support website http://www. tomtom. com/support where you can find many helpful tips and troubleshooting steps to manage your device. Our contact details are on http://www. tomtom. com/368.

With Kind Regards

Abby

The TomTom Customer Care Team

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma

Come on BO, this is a wind-up. are you really saying that this is a genuine reply from a person purporting to speak for TomTom? Do you make any wonder that we are in the middle of a recession?

Having spouted like that I now realise that I can interpret the answer for you. Here it is.

'Dear Mr Oklahoma,

Because we consider ourselves to be the best in the market we will give you twice the service that you might expect from any other company.

As you will be aware, TomTom is a Dutch company therefore our reply to you will, being twice as good, be in Double Dutch.

AbbyAbby

I'm currently using a TomTom Pro 7100 when I am towing.

In summary. .. it's not sent me down any roads it shouldn't have.

However, as with all sat navs I've used it does insist on trying to send me the way it wants me to go.

So for example if I am coming back from the New Forest direction to my Bucks location it will want me to go M3, M25 and A41.

Myself I prefer to take the A34 and head up to Bicester and drop down from there. It does allow me to put in one "go via" way point but that's not enough.

I always plan and print a route via google maps and use it on combo with the TomTom.

Another note is that you can't get Live services in the same way as you can on the non truck versions. .. another bit of hardwear is needed. I don't really see this as an issue tho as diverting for traffic is another thing that can tend to send you down daft roads. ( I also have my older TomTom that I do have plus services on.) You can plug in an RDS reciever if you wish. ... patch coverage but free!

I dunno if buying the software to run on a different TomTom device would allow access to live services ?

Going back to google maps. .. it really is a pity no one has come up with a simple fool proof way of planning. . dragging etc a route on google maps and then using turn by turn nav. I have an Android tablet that does turn bu turn nav, but the browser is clever enough to know it's android with navigation and stops me chaing the route, prefering instead to insist I go the way it wants. .. unless I am missing something.

J

Searching for a possible download of the HGV software has proved difficult, however, I have now requested a link from Tom Tom on where I can do this.

I will post their reply when I receive it,

Regards

Pete of the BO

You ain't going to get it for free, I doubt!

http://www. tomtom-navigation. co. uk/site/TomTom_Truck_Software. php

J

Searching for a possible download of the HGV software has proved difficult, however, I have now requested a link from Tom Tom on where I can do this.

I will post their reply when I receive it,

Regards

Pete of the BO

Come on BO, this is a wind-up. are you really saying that this is a genuine reply from a person purporting to speak for TomTom? Do you make any wonder that we are in the middle of a recession?

Having spouted like that I now realise that I can interpret the answer for you. Here it is.

'Dear Mr Oklahoma,

Because we consider ourselves to be the best in the market we will give you twice the service that you might expect from any other company.

As you will be aware, TomTom is a Dutch company therefore our reply to you will, being twice as good, be in Double Dutch.

AbbyAbby

Thank you for your valued input Mr Bartow Sir,

I hope you are wrong - here's hoping,

Bo

You ain't going to get it for free, I doubt!

http://www. tomtom-na. ..ck_Software. php

J

Yikes - is that just the software for £169?

Yikes - is that just the software for £169?

Afraid so yes. ... You may find it cheaper on Ebay. ...

Note that to my eye the £6. 95 offering on Ebay is a list of POI and not the software!

Con!

J

Afraid so yes. ... You may find it cheaper on Ebay. ...

Note that to my eye the £6. 95 offering on Ebay is a list of POI and not the software!

Con!

J

Seen it - no-one would fall for that thinking it was the HGV software

Would they ?

Seen it - no-one would fall for that thinking it was the HGV software

Would they ?

One hopes not!

A further reply from Tom Tom

Subject (Please be descriptive) Caravan towing Discussion Thread Response (Abby (UK)) 11/10/2011 06. 30 AM

Dear Peter,

The reference number for your query is 111008-000387.

Thank you for your email update.

I regret to inform you that you cannot purchase a HGV software to update your TomTom One 1st Edition device.

The HGV (Heavy Goods Vehicle) software is considered to be commercial GPS software which TomTom has set up for fleet navigation.

For more information on TomTom Business Solutions, please see http://business. tomtom. com/

Recently we have started to sell this on personal devices such as the GO 7000 through Maplin and the Freight Transport Association. We do also have some SD cards that are being sold for use on the 20 series (GO 520, 720, 920) through selected retailers. The software cannot be downloaded yet.

Thank you for your time.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Alternatively, visit our support website http://www. tomtom. com/support where you can find many helpful tips and troubleshooting steps to manage your device. Our contact details are on http://www. tomtom. com/368.

With Kind Regards

Abby

Ah well - I tried

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma

Bo

Some would say you are often very trying - not me, of course. :D

DeeTee

Funny you should say that Dee.

Sue says that sometimes - Thats how kind she is. Its not often I am recognised for my temerity and perseverance.

Hangonaminute . ........................

Oh

H'mmm :D

well i got my maps sorted out seems all i should have been told was to go into settings and set to gb & n ireland so 10 minutes on the phone and all sorted. i used say no to 0845 and used 02073875444 and spoke with timothy

bill