Gas Won't Work

Larry7000

Hi everyone, I am new to Caravaning and have brought an Abbey Archway 2002.

I have just connected a gas cylinder but can't get the stove to work? I have checked the cylinder is turned on and looked at all the "taps" I think they are all open - any ideas please?

Does the fridge and heater light on gas, if yes, suspect something in the cooker circuit, On some cookers you have to have the hob cover up to light the oven.

If it's a bulkhead regulator check that gas is going through it, if not replace it

Hi - thanks for your responses. The fridge doesn't seem to work on gas it just keeps trying to light. The heater too. I found the gas taps by the side of the oven and they are all on. Do you think it is the regulator or someting on the bottle?

Most ovens have a safety control under the cover, which covers the hobs, , the cover must be raised before the oven will light,When you say stove do you mean the oven,or oven and hobs, also have you give time for the air to be purged from the gas lines?

Who's the supplier on the gas bottle?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

You will probably find it's not the bottle, Calor check every one before re-filling, I would be inclined to suspect the regulator, as has been mentioned, the bulkhead type were prone to problems, I would suggest buying the type that screws directly on to the bottle, then a piece of flexible (preferably stainless steel) to the main 8mm feed copper pipe. Regards Peter.

I would look for a main isolation tap somewhere first as nothing is working in the front locker . As the caravan is 2002 its more likely a bottle regulator and is the gas regulator a clip on type of connector or the screw type ? Gas taps are normally turned so the knob is in line with the pipe work indicating it is on . You can normally hear a hisssssss when gas is coming through .

As said I would try the Hob first as that is easier to light but lift the lid as this can have a cut out when down .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

If you have problems with the gas, GET A Qualified engineer to sort it out and explain the workings.

DO NOT TAKE RISKS if you dont know what you are doing.

That is a very long gas pipe showing on there. Why?

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I would fit some pipe clips on the hose for safety . I would look for a tap in the main pipe line in the front locker where it connects from the gas hose from the regulator or a possible blockage from pushing the pipe on the fittings . Any gas taps under the front bunks from the front locker ?

As said gas can be dangerous if your not sure then seek professional advice .

Dave

Thanks Dave. I will get the clips tomorrow. After I moved the cylinder I retried the hobs, and hey presto they worked! I then switched the fridge to gas but the electronic lighter thing just kept on firing! The heater also just keeps firing on the electronic lighter - do you think this is connected?

It can take a while to purge air from the pipework before the fridge/water heater will fire, keep trying.

Also, make sure the cover is removed from the outside vent to the water heater as this can stop it from firing up too.

Is that a 6kg Calor Lite because it has a gas gauge on it. Is it a full one?

It can take a while to purge air from the pipework before the fridge/water heater will fire, keep trying.

Also, make sure the cover is removed from the outside vent to the water heater as this can stop it from firing up too.

I have let the igniter go on for about 20 minutes on the fridge but nothing happened. The heater too.

Is that a 6kg Calor Lite because it has a gas gauge on it. Is it a full one?

Yes thats a brand new gas. Strange how the oven and hob works fine but nothing else on the gas.

The gas hose is fitted illegally. It MUST hav esecuring clips at each end and they MUST be gas hose clips, ordinary jubilee clips are NOT permitted.

When trying to light the fridge and fire, did you hold the gas valve on each appliance open?by pressing the control knob, in for the fridge and down for the fire?

Both the Room Heater and the Fridge need to be checked by a gas engineer.

The gas pipe is bad news fitted like it is.

It is coming from a regulator and so is low pressure but you will see bulkhead regulators with pigtails and they are Crimped to their fittings because they are at high pressure.

If you have a long pipe like that I can only assume it is to attach to a gas bottle outside the front box (13kg on the ground.) If this is correct it must be chained to the van to prevent tipping over. (this is not allowed on CC Club sites) The danger is that LPG in liquid form will go into the regulator at high pressure.

Do let a gas fitter check your installation and modify properly.

My gas pipe is quite long but it's been checked by an LPG engineer before we bought it and is fine. I suppose it's not overly long, just enough to use gas either in the front locker or JUST outside. I never knew or thought about chaining the big gas canister outside to the caravan in case of tipping over although I do have 2 chained together but will fix it / them to the caravan when up at the weekend.

Until it was properly looked at it was also jubilee clips I used :blink:

Compass Shadow 1988

You will probably find it's not the bottle, Calor check every one before re-filling, I would be inclined to suspect the regulator, as has been mentioned, the bulkhead type were prone to problems, I would suggest buying the type that screws directly on to the bottle, then a piece of flexible (preferably stainless steel) to the main 8mm feed copper pipe. Regards Peter.

Dreadful and illegal advice, if a system has the bulkhead reg it must remain that way. no using barby points or changing to bottle mounted regs. You can change to a different manufacturer but you must use the same operating pressure.

gas hoses should be kept as short as poss and no more than 1m long.

Read a bit today that Gas-safe are considering removing the exemption from the regs private caravans currently have.

Edited by dougie

My gas pipe is quite long but it's been checked by an LPG engineer before we bought it and is fine. I suppose it's not overly long, just enough to use gas either in the front locker or JUST outside. I never knew or thought about chaining the big gas canister outside to the caravan in case of tipping over although I do have 2 chained together but will fix it / them to the caravan when up at the weekend.

Until it was properly looked at it was also jubilee clips I used :blink:

There is nothing wrong with Jubilee Clips on low pressure connection as long as it is fitted properly. (not overtightened)

Gas pipe (pigtails) on HIGH pressure (before the regulator) Must be crimped. These are made in specific sizes.