Strong Winds Make It Draughty Inside

springtime

Advice please.

The strong winds create a huge draught coming out from under the fridge & up the back of the chair box on thed same side.

There are floor vents under the cooker (which is next to the fridge & under the chair box next to the fuse box where the wires go through.

Whilst I can understand the importance of these for gas drainage in the event of a leak is there a way of reducing the amount of wind thar comes through.

I have never had this problem on my 3 previous coachbuilt motorhomes.

Without blocking the vents in the floor the only way to stop the draughs is to seal round the front of the fridge and try and block the draughs and seal bunk boxes by laying towels down along any air vents at the bottom . Winter vents on the fridge vents will reduce wind entering . While trying to stop draughs from the fridge if you have Heki roof vents these are "vents" and are not fully shut leaving a air gap so you could also get draughs there .

Dave

I have been really annoyed by caravan manufacturers who do not seal the fridge properly. Electrolux, now Dometic, always say that the fridge should be sealed to the outside, however I have yet to come across one that has actually been done properly.

I would be inclined to leave the holes under the oven/fridge. but block the others off with pieces of carpet under the bunks. There are plenty of holes/cracks in a caravn without making more. Peter

This is a hobby horse of mine, what is the point of manufacturers crowing about the wall and floor insulation, when there are drafts every where.

Just got back from Normans Bay, typical its sunny now.

Anyway - I'm looking at the fridge installation and I can see that the unit has not been sealed down the bottom at the back.

I could get a kit but that would mean the removal of the fridge and disconnecting the gas supply.

I am considering filling the gap at the bottom front with foam as advised but I can also see a huge gap at the top under the sink.

By filling the bottom the breeze will be diverted to the top so any thoughts as to how I can plug the profile around the sink base and the cupboard wall.

Initial thoughts are expanding foam but that stuff is messy and difficult to control :angry:

Any ideas?

Be careful with expanding foam, if it gets trapped in a cavity its power can cause damage. I used it to seal some possible mouse entry points after some mouse evedence, should have worn gloves, it took many days to wear off, and splashes on my clothes, old ones admittedly, were ruined.

It is good stuff though.

I've cut a template out of 2. 5mm ply that fits neatly around the bowl of the sink and fills 99% of the gap at the side.

Stuck this in with No Nails to the side of the cupboard unit - at the moment it is wedged against the drawer runner until No Nails cures. Says 12 to 24 hours on the tube.

Hopefully it will be stuck by tomorrow.

All I have to do is then run a bead of sealant around the joining edges and then stuff foam into the gap at the bottom front of the fridge.

Just having a beer at the moment and keeping my fingers crossed :rolleyes:

Agree with all the comments,under fridge it blows a gale, also under the front seats, use a draught excluder snake thing to try and stop it. whydo they have to have the vents under your feet? why not up in the top somewhere?

Why not make up a surround that can be fixed beneath the van around the breather gap, This will allow the van to breath but not be affected by wind.

Why not make up a surround that can be fixed beneath the van around the breather gap, This will allow the van to breath but not be affected by wind.

Good point, not sure if this would work though - probably need to test it in a wind tunnel first :D :D