Freelander Two Automatic

JTQ

I was quizzed about my opinions of how the Freelander Two specifically with the auto-transmission would be as a towcar for a 1350 kg caravan.
I have no direct experience of this vehicle in auto guise so could not address that aspect other that more general pros and cons of torque convert based auto transmissions.
Are there users out there with direct experience who can comment please?

Well at 69% I suppose most tugs will do well - Fl2 auto is 1960 kg

I have one and it replaced my RRS and it's a better tug - yes really. It's my 2nd FL2 and previous one was manual. Auto coupled with cruise control is really very good. My outfit is very stable so when you add the 'only need to steer it' bit, it makes for a very comfortable towing experience. I load poles, awning, groundsheet, cadac etc all in the boot and towing level hardly alters.

Mpg is down on my manual overall by about 3 mpg but I have done a lot more towing with this one so there's not a lot in it.

Edited by SamD

I have a 2009 GS Auto and have to say it's a first class tow car and one of the best tow cars I have ever owned and I tow a 2 berth weighing in at 1,550 Kg.

Had several minor problems fixed under warranty and don't think that they have the LR customary rough tough image anymore. Only had dealings with 2 main LR dealerships and they have been horrendous ! I now know why many LR devotees call them 'stealers'.

Not sure I'd have another one but can't fault it's towing capabilities.

Bill

My father has a 2009 HSE auto. I have towed our 1500kg caravan with it and was most impressed. It was very lively and handled the caravan like a dream - so much so that I'm considering swapping our Discovery 3 for one. The only downside as has previously been mentioned is the economy. He usually gets mid-30's solo, but 22-ish towing (as I did).

It's a pity that the Stealers aren't as good as the FL2.

The only downside as has previously been mentioned is the economy. He usually gets mid-30's solo, but 22-ish towing (as I did).

See last column which shows mpg (brim to brim).

1st row is Chesterfield to Angelsey

4th row is Welshpool to Chesterfield

2 and 3 include touring and Angelsey to Welshpool.

Key for me is keeping just below 60 when towing. Huge change as speed increases

post-31702-0-66167200-1318257432_thumb.jpg

We tow a Unicorn Valencia with a 58 automatic Freelander. This year we have towed about 3000 miles including a trip to the south of France. Towing at around 60mph we seem to get around 21/22 mpg,towing at around 55mph we seem to get around 25/26 mpg. I am not sure why we appear to get such a large difference in mpg for such a small reduction in mph. We originally bought the Freelander to cope with the heavy noseweight of the Valencia,but I have found it a pleasure to drive and own. The more I drive it the more I get to like it. I believe that they are an excellent tow car.

Another thumbs up for the Freelander 2 here, first one was a manual but changed for the Auto and it is even better. Pleasure to drive the Auto box is really good.

We also switched from a FL1 manual to the FL2 Auto, few other lightweight 4x4's have the same towing rating auto and manual.

Tows really well, as has been said not the most economical but more than off set by the reduced stress.

Towing back the other day on motorways/dual carraigeways with the Cruise control set to 60 was getting 23. 8MPG, dropped it to 58 and went up to 24. 1MPG. Not a big difference but some all the same.

Solo on a run up to 33. 5 but have stretched it to 34. 7 at a steady 60, around town can be as low as 28. 9

Thank you one and all for your informative post on towing with the auto version of the Freelander Two.

I would have expected the fuel economy towing to be down on the manual as the towing requires more torque thus inhibiting coupling lock up for much of the time.

Its achieved level though comes as a bit of an initial surprise as I tow 1900 kgs with the Disco 3 Auto and am now seeing 22/23 mpg figures on most trips. Maybe the larger Disco engine and ZF gearing is better matched for the drag and weigh loadings towing than the smaller engined Freelander and it could well be achieving coupling lock up more readily.

Thanks again I will pass on your findings when I am discussing it again.

JTQ,

Are you using the lie-ometer on your D3, or is it using the brim to brim method? If it's the former, I think you'll find you're not quite getting what it says. I seem to get around the 20 mark, but the lie-ometer on the dash suggests 22/23.

Nigel.

Nigel,

It's the "lie-ometer" most of the time as I rarely other than when abroad get the opportunity to use a tank fill to fill exclusively for towing.

I record all fuel taken on, mileage etc and run an Excel spreadsheet. Overall with mixed driving use, I would suggest that this vehicle's in-car computer is optimistic by about 2mpg.

On the longer towing only runs mentioned above I have found the computer generated figure is a bit more accurate.

The current Disco3 is one of the first 2006 batch with the 2007 MY Euro4 engine,this ones in-car computer has always been more optimistic than our early 2005 MY one, that was always surprisingly accurate though not as economic. Now with 30 k miles its fuel consumption is consistently better than in its earlier years.

Even the car's computer I don't think is anywhere near as optimistic as the mind boggling figures some claim for their towing consumption :huh:

I was asked by a neighbour to take him to go and pick up his van one saturday and I filled up just before we left but did not reset the computer. Due to the better economy on the run from Colchester to a place near Rutland water compared to around town the computer calculated I had more miles left in my tank when we arrived than when we left :blink:

Towing the van back into a strongt head wind somewhat changed that.