Dissapointed With Bailey

michael21

Many owners of early Valencia's are disappointed by the washroom heating, or rather the lack of heating or “year round warm”, which spoils an otherwise comfortable van.

After extended communications with Bailey, I can now report that:-

• A Bailey Valencia was tested in a cold chamber at the Millbrook testing ground.
    • In their newsletter they reported that “Comprising of two elements; a demonstration of the ability to maintain an internal temperature of +20 degrees when the outside temperatures reaches a staggering -15C . .." The use of the word "internal" is it seems significant.
    • They did not report in their news letter, but have confirmed to me that the temperature in the washroom (according to their MD’s spokesman) is/was irrelevant and “could have been freezing”. The grade III heating/insulation specification as per the Caravan Councils rules “does not include the washroom”. It seems the washroom is NOT “internal” according to the rules.

[*]I think most owners of early Valencia’s would agree the newsletter omitted some very pertinent results especially as it goes on to say

• “Great news for Bailey and great news for you; the Bailey Alu-tech range really does provide a touring caravan that you can holiday in all year round staying warm in the winter and cool in the summer…”
    • Bailey do not feel it was appropriate for them or their dealers to advise potential customers that the washroom was omitted and not covered by this statement, but “it’s all explained in the Caravan Councils rules”. I am sure that will comfort disappointed owners on cold nights.

[*]While Bailey have added a radiator to more recent Valencia’s, “because of popular demand”, they “certainly won’t consider” adding a radiator for the owners of earlier versions, though it seems to me that the popular demand must have come from cold owners….

[*]While I did receive the courtesy of a phone call, I did request a written response, but…probably just an oversight … need I say more.

Tisk Tisk Mr Bailey.

I have to agree here with Micheal, there is nothing worse than wandering around naked - especially after coming out of the shower into a cold room. It is not fun as I remember from my winter tenting days.

I know it will probaly put cash on the price of a 'van, but I for one, Mr. Bailey, would be happpy to pay the extra.

May I suggest a solution, a small electric fan blower just outside the ajar door blowing in hot air, or if you are capable - put one on the wall as per current regulations. There will be someone on here who knows what can be done safely.

Regards

Bo with a warm shower / bedroom

Erm, sorry but am I missing something?

The only way to keep the internal temp in our 'van at 22c we have to have the heater on.

If we leave our end bathroom door open then the bathroom is the same temperature as the rest of the 'van!

I'm sure it's me. ... educate me someone. :unsure:

G.

Erm, sorry but am I missing something?

The only way to keep the internal temp in our 'van at 22c we have to have the heater on.

If we leave our end bathroom door open then the bathroom is the same temperature as the rest of the 'van!

I'm sure it's me. ... educate me someone. :unsure:

G.

I see your point, but each to their own - live and let live. After someone goes into the bathroom and shuts the door, without any heating in there it will be cut off from the heat source, and therefore cool to some extent, and besides which, there is nothing like having a nice cozy heat source in the bathroom with nice warm towels after coming out of the shower.

This is borne out by the Bailey have added a radiator to more recent Valencia’s, “because of popular demand”.

Bo

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma

I see your point, but each to their own - live and let live. After someone goes into the bathroom and shuts the door, without any heating in there it will be cut off from the heat source, and therefore cool to some extent, and besides which, there is nothing like having a nice cozy heat source in the bathroom with nice warm towels after coming out of the shower.

This is borne out by the Bailey have added a radiator to more recent Valencia’s, “because of popular demand”.

Bo

Ha ha!

Even for the length of time SWMBO spends in the bathroom. .. there is such a big gap at the top and bottom of the door that heat loss would be at a minimum!

You'll be wanting a heated loo seat next!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

G

Ha ha!

Even for the length of time SWMBO spends in the bathroom. .. there is such a big gap at the top and bottom of the door that heat loss would be at a minimum!

:D :D

G

Please do not get flippent with me Sir,

I'll have you know I fitted a fur lined heated one for my precious whose extremities suffer with the lower temperatures.

I have done this because when precious is grumpy due to chilled extremities my precious makes my life a misery which is not condusive to a life of happiness.

My fur lined heated loo seat has made my existance much happier and although Sir, your OH has not passed comment, if she reads this she will.

So, have a care Sir

Yours etc

Bo of the warm bum

:D

Ha ha!

G

Not actually a heated loo seat but a close second - warm cassette contents. :D

Please do not get flippent with me Sir,

I'll have you know I fitted a fur lined heated one for my precious whose extremities suffer with the lower temperatures.

I have done this because when precious is grumpy due to chilled extremities my precious makes my life a misery which is not condusive to a life of happiness.

My fur lined heated loo seat has made my existance much happier and although Sir, your OH has not passed comment, if she reads this she will.

So, have a care Sir

Yours etc

Bo of the warm bum

:D

A man after my own heart. .. if SWMBO is happy. .. then the rest of us are!!!

Recommendations please for a lambswool electrically heated loo seat cover (6v, 12v, 24v who cares!!) and bathroom wallpaper of the same manufacture!!!

:D :D :D :D

G

maybe its me but i dont understand the arguement. bailey have done an upgrade on the 2012 model and someone is not happy because bailey wont carry the same upgrade on a 2011 model for them for nothing.

if this was a car that had air con and casette radio on one year model and then the new model had climate control and cd radio, would you expect the manufacturer to upgrade for nothing, no. so why expect it of bailey and whats the difference.

surely when a manufacturer does this, it is to improve a model, make it better than the competition and give an incentive to buy the new model

My '98 Ranger gets baking hot in the bathroom from the blown air vent.

I am a bit puzzled about "radiators" in a caravan. What is heating them?

They are heated by an anti-freeze solution pumped round by a small pump and heated by a boiler.

Brian

maybe its me but i dont understand the arguement. bailey have done an upgrade on the 2012 model and someone is not happy because bailey wont carry the same upgrade on a 2011 model for them for nothing.

if this was a car that had air con and casette radio on one year model and then the new model had climate control and cd radio, would you expect the manufacturer to upgrade for nothing, no. so why expect it of bailey and whats the difference.

surely when a manufacturer does this, it is to improve a model, make it better than the competition and give an incentive to buy the new model

People are not asking for the latest toys to be retro fitted, they want the toys they have to work properly.

The bathroom is cold and it should not be, should be fixed. However looking at the posts about Baileys and alu techs I don't think anything will happen. Pity it is costing sales.

Brian

I think the op may have a point in that it appears to be a bit of design flaw which sees the wash room being cold due to no heating, obviously the door would have to be left open so as to avoid the room getting too cold. However I don't think it is fair to expect a manufacturer to upgrade all previous caravans ever sold when an improvement is made for a new model.

In my Abbey with (what is now considered) old fashioned blown air heating, we have the reverse problem. ..we have to leave the washroom door open to stop the room getting too hot. ...unless we are going to use it for a shower, then it is lovely!

We used our Valencia over Christmas last year, with temperatures down to -7. We had no problems with the temperature in the van - including the bathroom, but the waste pipes from the bathroom froze rendering the bathroom useless.

This is not surprising as the drain pipes are exposed underneath the van but, surprisingly for a year round van, have no insulation at all. ..

The van was perfectly level. ....

Edited by wiz2003

A man after my own heart. .. if SWMBO is happy. .. then the rest of us are!!!

Recommendations please for a lambswool electrically heated loo seat cover (6v, 12v, 24v who cares!!) and bathroom wallpaper of the same manufacture!!!

:D :D :D :D

G

Do you know JUST HOW FED UP I am with you Sir, you total idiot.

My other half with the cold extremities has read your last post, and has now requested (VERY strongly) that she wants a nice light orange flock wallpaper in the bathroom.

May your caravan be infested with green fly on your next site,

Yours

(Looking for wallpaper on E bay)

Bo Pete

We used our Valencia over Christmas last year, with temperatures down to -7. We had no problems with the temperature in the van - including the bathroom, but the waste pipes from the bathroom froze rendering the bathroom useless.

This is not surprising as the drain pipes are exposed underneath the van but, surprisingly for a year round van, have no insulation at all. ..

Not knowing the 'van, surely to God Mr. bailey would have arranged for them to have some sort of drop???

I agree with the above, but I would expect - at least - Mr Bailey to let the owner buy the parts to install another radiator.

I should think that is entirely possible - although at a hefty price. I would go for the hot air blower I mentioned before.

Bo

Our end bath Olympus has blown air into the bathroom. The first time we had a cooler night the next morning the bathroom was a bit chilly. But it only took a bit of thought on how to open the vents round the van. The van was toasty but the bathroom was not as warm. So we just closed down some of the other vents to push a bit more heat into the bathroom and it was sorted. The rest of the van was still warm and to be honest even though it is larger than our old 2 berth the van has been generally warmer overall. So we did run the heater at a lower setting. Now I have adjusted the vents to spread heat more evenly the heater has been turned up a bit again but still only to the same level as the older van we had. ... Just took a bit of thought. Not really a problem. The two berth one was the same sometimes in winter if we had the front vents fully open and the bathroom was not cold just that bit cooler. I guess it is the vent for the shower that allows the colder air in.

Do you know JUST HOW FED UP I am with you Sir, you total idiot.

My other half with the cold extremities has read your last post, and has now requested (VERY strongly) that she wants a nice light orange flock wallpaper in the bathroom.

May your caravan be infested with green fly on your next site,

Yours

(Looking for wallpaper on E bay)

Bo Pete

Perhaps Mrs BO would like this wallpaper. .. http://www. notonthehighstreet. com/charlotterose/product/leaf_bugs_wallpaper

Very reasonably priced too!!!

And you could fashion a loo seat cover from this http://www. diy. com/diy/jsp/bq/nav. jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9279309&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372013}/categories%3C{9372028}/categories%3C{9372107}/specificationsProductType=rugs/specificationsSpecificProductType=plain_rugs&tmcampid=4&tmad=c&ecamp=cse_go&CAWELAID=267011824

Please let me know what Mrs BO thinks of my suggestions!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

G

£75 A ROLL!!

For a load of bugs on leaves !!!

You go tooooo far Sir.

And if you think I am going to show her this pattern then may your extremities freeze and falleth to the ground.

I feel greatly put out and I challenge you to a duel in Shrewsbury B & Q car park next Saturday at high noon.

I must make it plain that I am a crack shot with pistols loaded with depleted cold chicken vindaloo bullets,

Yours of the BO

Peter the Great

we disconnect the drain pipes in the washroom, in winter.

the water then drops straight down into a bucket.

the bucket shape makes it easy to empty if it freezes.

cheers rodders B)

bailey monarch series 6

I am with Reads on this one, the questions should have been can I buy an upgrade and how much to supply and fit another radiator?

I'm not sure you get the OP's argument. Bailey make a big issue of their insulation claiming the INTERIOR (which to most reasonable people includes the 'interior' washroom) can be kept warm even in winter. With no effective heating in it, how can this be so. Bailey's claim is invalid and they should act to sort it out, should they not? If your car manufacturer claimed it would do 40mpg and it only did 20, you'd have a word, I expect.

I'm not sure you get the OP's argument. Bailey make a big issue of their insulation claiming the INTERIOR (which to most reasonable people includes the 'interior' washroom) can be kept warm even in winter. With no effective heating in it, how can this be so. Bailey's claim is invalid and they should act to sort it out, should they not? If your car manufacturer claimed it would do 40mpg and it only did 20, you'd have a word, I expect.

Bailey's do not appear to base their claim on most reasonable people's opinion or parameters but within the parameters of the tests which were carried on the insulation. If Bailey's claim is invalid then a complaint to the appropriate watchdog, such as the Advertising Standards Association would be upheld.

Everyone knows you never get the mpg advertised by car manufactures because in the small print it says conditions vary, its there get out clause.

The origianl post was saying how cold it was in the toilet area again what is cold to one person might not be cold to another. If Bailey has lied then go down the route that Deetee has stated.

Our end bath Olympus has blown air into the bathroom. The first time we had a cooler night the next morning the bathroom was a bit chilly. But it only took a bit of thought on how to open the vents round the van. The van was toasty but the bathroom was not as warm. So we just closed down some of the other vents to push a bit more heat into the bathroom and it was sorted. The rest of the van was still warm and to be honest even though it is larger than our old 2 berth the van has been generally warmer overall. So we did run the heater at a lower setting. Now I have adjusted the vents to spread heat more evenly the heater has been turned up a bit again but still only to the same level as the older van we had. ... Just took a bit of thought. Not really a problem. The two berth one was the same sometimes in winter if we had the front vents fully open and the bathroom was not cold just that bit cooler. I guess it is the vent for the shower that allows the colder air in.

my 534 is exactly the same. I fitted the truma radiator into it connected to the hot air vent which does help as the metal warms up keeping it warmed. I installed for asthetics really to make use of the wall space more then the bathroom being cold. It is colder than the main van but then again, i prefer it that way.