Fitted Alarm Activation On Site

ericfield

Not wanting to hijack the thread about using/ not using wheel clamps on site. ....

Does everyone with a factory fitted alarm in their caravan activate it when going out for the day? Is there any insurance requirement for factory fitted alarms to be a active when away from the caravan for an extended period?

We always feel a bit self conscious switching on the 'BEEP' and switching off the 'BEEP, BEEP' when we return. The wife thinks it seems like we dont trust our fellow campers. ...alarming the van in the middle of a CC site.

I wonder whether it would be ignored ( like urban burglar alarms ) or whether a BEEPING caravan being towed off a pitch might prompt some action by the fellow campers/warden?

I confess having stopped in a lay-by for a quick comfort break, I once inadvertantly activated the alarm and proceeded to tow some distance down a dual carriageway wondering where the strange noise was coming from. ....ITS BEHIND YOU!!

IRRC the Caravan Club Insurance requires the alarm to be set if the 'van is left for 8 hours or more.

So we do not set it when on site but we do set it whenever it's in storage.

HTH

G.

We set ours when we go out for the day, even on CC sites.

We don't set ours when on site as we have spent a couple of days at different sites with people's alarms going off by mistake. It is most annoying ! One couple received a huge round of applause when they returned in the evening and switched the bloomin' thing off !

How do the caravan alarms work then? Every Sunday lately when we get up i've always thought it was someone's smoke alarm nearby or in one of the houses but today OH was walking round the storage and it did sound like it was coming from a caravan / motorhome but none of us could find what one, plus it wasn't overly loud. Could this be someone's timed it or something? or if the wind sets it off? Just coincidence it's a Sunday, I just thought someone was burning their Sunday fry up :D

Compass Shadow 1988

There are two sorts of alarm, a caravan burglar alarm and a tracker. We do not have the former, but the tracker is always switched on except when we are actually moving.

This one doesn't sound loud enought to be a burglar alarm, a bit like a quieter version of a smoke alarm and it stops and starts

Compass Shadow 1988

Could be a CO alarm going off. Mine did when we were cleaning the caravan.

We kept hearing four bleeps & a gap, four bleeps & a gap. I think it was because we had used

the gas kettle to heat water, (no electrics in storage compound) and the door & all windows were shut.

Red LED was showing for "move to fresh air" so we did (move the alarm outside!) and a few minutes later it stopped.

Marc.

True, there's no electric in the storage bit so could be the case and it's quite secluded there, we're pitched closest to the storage area. Will investigate next weekend when i'm up again! I'd mention it to the "warden" but it's a park homes site and the manageress isn't interested in caravans, only trying to get the houses for sale sold for her big fat bonus! There's her husband who was out before we left and the groundsmen were nowhere to be seen.

Compass Shadow 1988

Could it be a smoke alarm??

Our storage site manager burned some brambles about 3 years ago and our smoke alarm was triggered.

It took him ages to work out it was ours and then he rang us to get it reset.

Just a thought.

G.

Not wanting to hijack the thread about using/ not using wheel clamps on site. .... Does everyone with a factory fitted alarm in their caravan activate it when going out for the day? Is there any insurance requirement for factory fitted alarms to be a active when away from the caravan for an extended period? We always feel a bit self conscious switching on the 'BEEP' and switching off the 'BEEP, BEEP' when we return. The wife thinks it seems like we dont trust our fellow campers. ...alarming the van in the middle of a CC site. I wonder whether it would be ignored ( like urban burglar alarms ) or whether a BEEPING caravan being towed off a pitch might prompt some action by the fellow campers/warden? I confess having stopped in a lay-by for a quick comfort break, I once inadvertantly activated the alarm and proceeded to tow some distance down a dual carriageway wondering where the strange noise was coming from. ....ITS BEHIND YOU!!

Can you not turn the Beeping off when its activated and disactivated ? Only I can turn my beep off .

Dave

I don't see the point in having security and not using it. Two years ago on our site in France (Pavillion Royale), a family had the keys to their Mercedes stolen from the caravan, followed of course by theft of the car. Its easy to become complacent on holiday-we all hope to trust those around us who are in the same boat, but its off-camp 'visitors' we have to beware of. ...

Archived