Umwelt Plakette Failure

I took my car, Kia Sorento Diesel Auto Dec 2005 to a TUV Station when I was recently in Germany and attempted to get a plakette. The mechanic took my registration docs to his computer and came back and said it was only a Yellow, and that it was no worth me getting one as it was not a Green. Fair enough, I then asked if I could upgrade the speed allowance for my caravan from 80 kilometers to 100 km. He asked was my van registered in Germany, when I informed that it was not he replied I could not upgrade. Maybe Lutz could clarify ???

If you view this . pdf file you will see that a lot of cities will only be accepting green stickers from certain dates. Umwelt Green However you don't need an Umvelt Plakette to generally drive round Germany its only required for driving into some major cities. I have ordered the stickers direct from Germany by post for my two Sorentos but they were registered in 2006 and 2009 so they were both green. Looking at the information a car registered in 2005 is only able to get a yellow sticker.

Can't answer you question on the Tempo 100 scheme, I had not realised that it was only available to 'registered' caravans. I suppose you could have tried your CRiS registration document? Is Lutz a member of this forum? Handy if he is.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I got a green one from Germany for my Mazda CX5. I was supprised as I thought the emmisions where higher than the elvels rerquired for green.

Coachman Pastiche tugged by Mazda CX-7, Wine supplied by Sainsburys & sunday Times wine Club.

I got a green one from Germany for my Mazda CX5. I was supprised as I thought the emmisions where higher than the elvels rerquired for green.

Strangely it seems more based on the age of the car rather than the emissions. My first Sorento was a year newer than the OP's car but with the same engine and gearbox and I had a green sticker for mine, unless of course Kia tweaked the engine to take account of the LEZ zones? The Sorento is hardly the most environmentally friendly car on the market!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

I took my car, Kia Sorento Diesel Auto Dec 2005 to a TUV Station when I was recently in Germany and attempted to get a plakette. The mechanic took my registration docs to his computer and came back and said it was only a Yellow, and that it was no worth me getting one as it was not a Green. Fair enough, I then asked if I could upgrade the speed allowance for my caravan from 80 kilometers to 100 km. He asked was my van registered in Germany, when I informed that it was not he replied I could not upgrade. Maybe Lutz could clarify ???

This is not true - there is a page on the German Tourist Office web site explaining how to get it done - sorry but have not got the link to hand.

This is not true - there is a page on the German Tourist Office web site explaining how to get it done - sorry but have not got the link to hand.

Here it is

http://www. tuev-nord. ..proval_3052. htm

It is possible get Tempo 100 on a non-German vehicle. However, caravans are registered in most continental countries and the log book is needed to check the caravan specification and enter the Tempo 100 certification. It appears that the person at the TuV station was unfamiliar with U. K. caravans and gave an incorrect answer. The Tempo 100 can also be obtained in Dutch test stations.

Edited by beejay

No Lutz is not a member of this Forum. We have 2005 Kia and we have Yellow sticker which has helped us get into many cities in Germany.

Thank you all for your knowledgeable responses.

I will be in Germany in springtime, so I will try again for tempo 100.

Bill

Aachen is the nearest to the German border from France:

TÜV Test Station Aachen North (off A4 jct 3)

Hubert Wienen Strasse 36

52070 Aachen

Tel: 0049 241 9551710

or Monchen Gladbach (who are/were used to dealing with British Forces caravans} if coming in from Holland.

TÜV SÜD Auto Partner GmbH Ottostr. 4

41238 Mönchengladbach

Tel: 02166-9751336

You will need to make an appointment for the inspection as, normally, it cannot be done by turning up on a "while you wait" basis. These are testing stations with pre-booked customers for various tests. You will also have to collect and pay for the Tempo 100 paperwork at the local vehicle tax office (Zulassungsstellen) which are usually open only weekdays and mornings.

Of course as I was offered a yellow plakette and the mechanic said it was a waste of time, I did not buy it. Would it be a waste of time having the Yellow plakette???

Of course as I was offered a yellow plakette and the mechanic said it was a waste of time, I did not buy it. Would it be a waste of time having the Yellow plakette???

Thats why I put the link in my first reply it clearly shows where red/yellow want be accepted by date.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels