Wheel Clamps On Site

antelope

Another newbie question, Does everyone put their wheel clamps on whilst on site are do they just use them when they are in storage, cheers

It is usually a condition of your insurance to have them on. However if you are not going to be away from the van. ..

Another newbie question, Does everyone put their wheel clamps on whilst on site are do they just use them when they are in storage, cheers

First check with your insurance company to see if any devices are required, so as not to invalidate your insurance.

I use mine all the time in the UK, home and touring.

I used to use my wheel clamp abroad as well, but as far as I could see, it was only the Brits who bothered. Given the weight of the thing I have stopped using it abroad and only use the hitch lock.

Gordon

My insurance demands one security device If the van has been unhitched from the car more than 8 hours. So when away i use a hitchlock, when at home I use the hitchlock and a wheelclamp.

My CC insurance gives me a discount for various bits of security the Alko wheel clamp for one so mine is applied whenever the van is left unattended. If I hadn't taken up the discount then I think the policy states that either wheel clamp or hitchlock is fitted so check your policy so as to make sure you comply with their stipulations so you don't give them a loophole to wriggle out of a claim if needed.

Hi all,

I'd like to put mine on but can't, my Hymer 545 SL came with a Truma mover fitted behind the wheels,( prob' because there are shockers on front ). It's the Millenco MEGACLAMP ( thats the big one filled with concrete ). In 2001 our first T. E. C. caravan was knicked off our drive in Leic's, they'd gas axed my wheel clamp and hitch lock and even took them as well, all that was left on our block paving were a couple of piles of slag. Must admit we do feel safer over here in France. Don't have nightmares, but it doesn't allways happen to others. Catch ya later,indoors.

Always use the hitchlock & wheel clamp. Insurance states that there must be one security device used so in theory only need to use hitch or wheel lock but have always used both on site and in storage.

If the weather forecast for the day of departure is poor then I will sometimes remove the hitchlock the night before as it's a little more time consuming than the wheel clamp to remove.

Ian

only ever use a hitch lock on site unless i am leaving for the week, then the wheel clamp goes on also

Used hitch lock and wheel clamp so far on both storage and site.

My insurance demands one security device If the van has been unhitched from the car more than 8 hours. So when away i use a hitchlock, when at home I use the hitchlock and a wheelclamp.

My insurance asks for one when unhitched for more than 2 hours.

I only use the hitchlock if I'm on a rally field which is full of people I know, or both on a commercial site, or in storage, or even for the odd time I can't be bothered to put it back in storage (usually 'cos it's only 3 or 4 days before I go out again), at home.

Hitchlock and wheelclamp go on wherever we pitch, as others have said better safe then sorry. ..

I know insurers make it a condition but if the tea leaves really want your van theres nowt much you can do

I know insurers make it a condition but if the tea leaves really want your van theres nowt much you can do

Well one way you can claim back your financial loss, the other you cant without committing fraud, which in my book is a massive difference, not "nowt".

I always fit at least three locks- hitch, Alko secure and steady locks if the offside wheel lands in the right place it gets a boot on too. The way i look at it is that if a thief realy wants your van he'll get it- I'll just try and make yours a more attractive option!

I'm seasonal but use a wheel clamp and hitch lock all the time anyway and I would also if I was touring

Compass Shadow 1988

There may not be a 100% secure solution but the OP asks about use of wheel clamps on site and I think it unlikely thieves would be able to cut through a wheel clamp on a site without attracting more attention than they would like.

Always put on hitchlock and alarm, even if we are staying put, and wheel clamp if we are going to leave the site. As others say, better safe than sorry.

Heavy duty at home.

Lighter version on sites and meets.

Use it or lose it?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

if the insurers need it or not we fit ours in store or on site only because i don't want to lose our pride and joy as well as the hasle of dealing with the insurance company. it only takes a couple of minutes and gives us some piece of mind. yes if they want to take it they will and don't wish any bad luck on any 1 else but if theres is easier to take they just may leave ours alone.

Hi,

We avoid caravan sites and use C. L. s/C. S. s often as not we are on our own so its the full hit, wheel clamp, al-ko wheel lock, hitch lock,and when we are out the alarm goes on as well, no intention of giving insurance a chance to wriggle out !

david1220

Hi all,

I'd like to put mine on but can't, my Hymer 545 SL came with a Truma mover fitted behind the wheels,( prob' because there are shockers on front ). It's the Millenco MEGACLAMP ( thats the big one filled with concrete ). In 2001 our first T. E. C. caravan was knicked off our drive in Leic's, they'd gas axed my wheel clamp and hitch lock and even took them as well, all that was left on our block paving were a couple of piles of slag. Must admit we do feel safer over here in France. Don't have nightmares, but it doesn't allways happen to others. Catch ya later,indoors.

My clamp fits on my hymer with the shocks in front and the mover fitted behind, I just had to fit it the other way around. My clamp is a Keepit, though to be honest none of these security devices fill me with confidnce I am certain that if necessary I would have little difficulty in removing them.

I'd like to put mine on but can't, my Hymer 545 SL came with a Truma mover fitted behind the wheels,

I used a Bulldog Euroclamp on my 545 and now on my 546; in the first case with a Riech mover the second a Powrtouch HD.

http://www. gooutdoors. co. uk/bulldog-euroclamp-500-caravanning-security-kit-p116648

Its insurance approved, accepted by the Caravan Club, and C&CC underwritter and designed for alloy wheels.

Added to that its tolerable to carry around and easy to fit and remove. Just watch it was sold in differing tyre widths when I purchased ours in 2002.

Possibly it could be removed easily by a thief but having met the insurance industries required level it protects my interest should I ever need to claim. Insurance in itself does not offer protection from theft only compensation and that is why we use an approved clamp.

Archived