Porch Or Full Awning

cfcseasideblues

Depends what you need it for. I've always had full awnings due to having the kids and just in case the weather turns and although I don't keep much in the awning (a table and we use folding chairs when we're using the awning - and boots) so if it was jsut me and OH i'd be happy with a porch awning.

If there's folk sleeping in the awning then obviously a full awning would be best, also for cooking if you cook in the awning like some do.

Compass Shadow 1988

We have the full awning for holidays and the porch for weekends, And thats about as simple as it gets for us. :D :D

I have a full awning for longer 4+ days but as a good compromise I use a lightweight 390cm part awning that is easy to put up and down but has plenty of space. Mine is made by Royal.

If you need a lot more space then a full awning is necessary, but we find an Isabella Moonlight is very suitable.

Enough room for a table and two chairs, smaller stowage of course, and not so much pegging than a full awning.

As we have the same 'van as you, we stow ours under the bed which helps with the nose weight.

Regards

Bo

We bought a lovely 2nd hand Isabella full awning so that we could use it for trips longer than a few days. We've only used it once. We found it far too much trouble to put up and there was far too much space in it for just the two of us. Plus we have changed the van since buying it so it won't fit anymore ! We only use our Kampa Rally 260 now which is really easy to put up and of course fits the new van too. If I wanted a bit more space I would invest in a Kampa Rally 390 which we can now fit on the new van and probably any future vans we might buy !

The disadvantage of lightweight porch awnings - they offer no shade in hot weather and are boiling hot unlike the lovely Isabella with the verandah poles etc ! Lovely and cool !

For Sale Isabella Capri blue Size 900 :)

Possibly these days the best possible option is a lightweight porch to larger porch for ease of erection and suitability for shorter stops and then a full (heavy) sized awning for longer stops.

Mind you these days, as some of the lighter weight and fast to erect awnings get better and better and that their prices are so very affordable, then I can fully understand why we are seeing more and more of them here at La Tournerie Ferme being used by formerly full sized heavy awning diehards!

Bonne chance

If you need a lot more space then a full awning is necessary, but we find an Isabella Moonlight is very suitable.

Enough room for a table and two chairs, smaller stowage of course, and not so much pegging than a full awning.

As we have the same 'van as you, we stow ours under the bed which helps with the nose weight.

Regards

Bo

hi pete

so do you know what size ill need for a porch awning,i know its 975 for a full one

got rid of porch awning and full awning got me a maxima porch (dorema) with alloy poles half price and if i need more room i got the annix so its lihgter and quicker to put up you can find it on dorema web site and go to factory clearance.

hi pete

so do you know what size ill need for a porch awning,i know its 975 for a full one

I will send you a pic of ours via e-mail so you have an idea. Let me know if you do not receive it.

Pete

Def porch awning. . that way we can use it with whichever 'van we might own. ...'cept

we bought a second hand full Dorema (size 4) off ebay. .. £85 with bedroom annexe. ...

just looks right!

If you have the time needed to erect it and can carry the extra weight then take a full awning every time. There's no other way to ensure enough space.

Or if time is of the essence and there's perhaps only two of you then a good quality porch awning works every time. Having had the lightweight awnings and been awake at night wondering how much damage it might do to the van, we're back again with an Isabella Minor.

Sorry but the lightweight awnings are just not as secure. And I can erect and dismantle the Minor in exactly the same time

Lunar Ultima 560 towed by VW Tiguan 2. 0TDi

hi pete

think you wil find its the next size up as i have a oklahoma with a dorema full awning and its around 1020 approx

A full size awning provides you with an outdoor room, much the same as a conservatory would at home. Use it for storage and for sitting out in. In hot weather you can unzip the sides to provide an open veranda. A porch is just a porch, a place to store wet boots and coats. We just have the full awning, but rather fancy a porch for those short stays where it would be too much effort to put up the full one.

Mate we were in the same situation and had both a Bradcote full awning and a porch awning for our main two week break and shorter trips.

In the end I was tired of having two awnings and putting up a full awning for two of us and the dog which was only used once or twice a year.

In the end I sold both of them and purchased an Issabella Magnum which is larger than a porch awning but about half the length of a full awning. It is perfect for both lengths of stay now as it provides shelter for shorter trips and somewhere to eat and store items on longer trips.

Its also got the advantage that when we changed our van this year that it fits all sizes of van so we didn't have to buy another awning like you would with a full size one.

I would never buy two types of awning again as unless you have a couple of kids the magnum is more than big enough for a couple with a dog or child

Apache porch awning that came with the caravan, when there are two of us.

(Just enough room for the table & 2 chairs). No awning if I am on me lonesome.

No point in all the time & effort when I can sit outside in good weather or use the small

table inside.

Marc.

We have had a full awning we used to use for holidays and longer breaks and a porch for weekends and rallies. We found the full was getting hard work to put up - [ heavy to pull thru, ages to peg etc. It was a 1025cm Isabella] So decided to sell it and the porch and get a Ventura Marlin, which is the larger porch. I think they call it a part awning! It is great even for holidays - we have had 6 in it to eat and chat when chilly outside. Sold the full one but never got round to selling the porch, a Ventura Cadet [i bought off Brassneck a few years ago!!!] I now use that for weekends or when I am on my own as it is easier to put up solo. We also have a Fiamma caravanstor zip with the sides and everything. That was great as a sun canopy in France and was what really made the full one redundant. It hasn't been used in 18 months so I really need to get round to advertising it somewhere! I recently saw a test somewhere of the new lightweight Outdoor Revolution Spacelite which looks great if it as easy to put up and take down as it says. So I think I may get one of those, it will make it easier on weekend rallies. Have shied away from these up to now as have seen how easily they can be damaged in anything more than a light breeze.

Which ramblings all go to show, Seasideblues, that you need several awnings depending on where you are going and for how long and what the weather will be like!!!!! If you go for the full, your Oklahoma instruction book should give you the correct length. For a porch then you need to choose how large a floor area you want.

We only started Caravaning this year and bought a second hand full awning. Initially I thought that at some point I would get a porch awning for weekends or shorter trips but as the year went by we have really got the hang of putting up & taking down the awning.

We can do it so quickly and easily now we have changed our minds and don't see any point in getting a porch.

thanks for all replies. ..does anyone know what size porch awning will need for bailey oklahoma !!!

Hi Nigel,

Have a look here and figure it out. It would be wrong of someone to say what size it is because they might get it wrong.

http://www. isabella. ...rmoonlight. html

I have the Minor Moonlight - but check the figures yourself.

Regards

Pete

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma

As said awning type and size is purly down to the individual and what you need from having a awning and how much time and effort you want to spend erecting them . I have three that I use a full awning (23ft) for more than 2 of us and for 5+ days and a 260 and a 390 porch awnings which depends on what we are taking . I leave them on the shelf in the garage and just take what ever awning we need for that holiday .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave