Campsite Ypres (Ieper) Belgium

Having just finished our six week sojourn to Europe, using ACSI card everywhere. We decided to do the First World War area centered round Ypres. The Jeudstadion campsite in Ypres isn't in the ACSI book but I looked it up on the web while we were in Holland and phoned them to book a pitch for my caravan. I had seen some negative comments about this site, i. e. the barriers were down over night and someone had said they had to wait till staff came in at 8 o'clock, so they could leave, and it was very crowded positions for motohomes.

Firstly it is a lovely site and roadways are made from ecogrid blocks so the grass grows through. Toilet block very clean and loads of hot water for showers and dish washing. The barriers work by swipe card and you can enter and leave anytime night or day, We left at 7. 30pm to get to Dunkerque, for any early morning sailing. If you have a motorhome and only want one night stopover, then they are positioned near the office, and are a bit crowded. If staying longer then they are pitched in the main camp along with caravans, in generous pitches, with own electric, own water and own waste water disposal. Super pitches all. The cost, just 14 Euros per night. Free WiFi. If you arrive at 2'oclock in the morning, or in the afternoon, Office closed between 1pm and 4pm there is an automatic check in. Choose one of four languages, enter how many nights you want to stay. put credit card into slot and it will deliver a receipt telling you the pitch you are on, and a swipe card. for you to go back to your van, approach barrier, swipe card, barrier rises, and you can make your way to your well numbered pitch.

The centre of town, and the Menin Gate, are a short walk (10 mins) or cycle (5 mins) along the canal bank. Aldi and Lidl are close by. All in all, a terrific site, and very popular with Brits. Great value for money.

Many thanks for that very useful info.

I am planning to stay here on my next European Tour Apr to end June next year. The chap that does the WW1 battlefield tours also lives very close by the campsite.

My only question left was could I get off the site to catch the 1000 ferry from Dunkirk which you have answered as well.

Alan

Yes Alan we were on the 10 o'clock morning ferry from Dunkerque as well, and we toyed with idea of getting up at 4am in the morning and making a dash for the port, but we decided we would go later in the evening, make for the large Car/Caravan parking area right next to DFDS Check-in. Arrived Dunkerque 9pm, steadies down, glass of wine, tucked up in bed by ten, up at 6. 30am and checked in at 7. 05am