Best Way To Mark Awning Poles?

mechs

Just thought i'd ask but i've had umpteen awnings, sadly none have lasted very long! however what's the best way to mark them for next use? I've marked some in the past colour coding the poles with electrical insulating tape ie top poles red, centre blue and sides (downwards) yellow but just wondered if any of you had an easier way or is it just whatever you fancy?

Compass Shadow 1988

I always used different colour electrical tape, then one day trying to remember which colour went at which end my son came up with the smart idea of printing labels out for each pole, e. g. front left roof rafter 1, 2 etc front left upright 1,2 etc etc

Worked well until the poles got wet and all the ink ran!! Then printed the labels again on plain paper and sellotaped over them to the poles, lasted for years as the ink couldn't run as the sellotape had the same effect as laminating!! Now do the same for my Gazebo at home as well. Makes assembly a lot easier.

Ian

I know that was part of my problem trying to remember what colours were what! I wrote on the current ones with "permanent marker" but it's almost faded. I've got a wee labelling machine so might just go for that with sellotape or write on them and sellotape over them! :)

Compass Shadow 1988

I know I usually mean to keep a bit paper with the colour coding on but end up forgetting and keep saying i'm going to! Think this year i'll go with the writing / printing labels then covering with sellotape before taking it down!

Another question, when you marl left and right do you mark it as if you're standing facing the side of the caravan (which I do) the true left and right as if your standing looking out the caravan door?

Again just wondering :)

Compass Shadow 1988

Not so obvious where mine go except the "obvious" centre and side ones that have the 3 connector bits :) Mind you not sure it it matters where the rest go if they're all the same size as long as they're adjusted properly :blink: Awnings aren't my strong point the amount i've been through :P

Compass Shadow 1988

Goodness me I can't believe this topic.

I have an Isabella Magnum, just look at the poles, it is obvious where they go.

Brian

That's the joy of owning a well made product. :lol:

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Goodness me I can't believe this topic.

I have an Isabella Magnum, just look at the poles, it is obvious where they go.

Brian

Mine's an Isabella Capri, just same - no problems. Perhaps some awning frames are more difficult.

John.

If you can't afford an Issabella then print out the labels on your printer, THEN spray the paper with hairspray, cut them to size and sellotape, seemples :)

I never thought about it being obvious where the rest of the poles went, or that they might all be the same once the main ones are up, again when I started caravanning in 2003 we just went with the flow as everyone we knew had marked awning poles :wacko: The joys of no internet being installed and not knowing about CT straight away, probably could have made my caravanning life alot easier - and saved alot of arguments when putting up an awning :rolleyes:

If you can't afford an Issabella then print out the labels on your printer, THEN spray the paper with hairspray, cut them to size and sellotape, seemples :)

Yes think this is the route i'll take when it comes to taking down the awning this year - even if most of the poles are the same shape / size / obvious :)

Compass Shadow 1988

i bought a set of sharpies - multicoloured permanent markers. each pole had a different colour and were marked with arrows and a letter. t for top, arrow up, m for middle, arrows point to each other, and b for base arrow down.

it took half an hour, once i was sure that we had out the thing up properly. so far, 4 years of use and its still clear.

i have very little spacial awareness and don't know left from right so this has been a great help for me. :D

Isabella poles are no different to any other manufacturers poles!

For me it is obvious and I've had no need to mark poles in 25 years of 'vanning.

Perhaps it's a bit like reversing the 'van. .. some can. . some can't!

Just a thought.

G.

For me it is obvious and I've had no need to mark poles in 25 years of 'vanning.

Just a thought.

G.

It's about 'Visuospatial awareness' I think.

John.

Just a thought.

G.

I suspect you're correct, it's probably obvious. As a newbie I read threads about marking poles so I just blindly did the same :rolleyes:

Just a thought.

G.

So we have five sets of poles running across the van the centre section of the roof poles are identical to both the centre section of the down poles and two of the cross bracing poles apart from being slightly different in length.

As the roof poles are marked with one band, the bracing poles with two bands and the down poles with three bands when you empty all the poles out of the bag it is very easy to see what poles are what without having to get a tape measure out or the instruction to find which is which pole.

This is why I have marked our poles!

I use Red Tape on left (port) and Green Tape on right (starboard) White in middle (mast)

Facing away from van when viewed.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I agree with Brian, its not rocket science.

True, although like another post when I first started caravanning I read about awnings and seen others marking poles so I just assumed you did the same, never thought to actually LOOK to see if they're the same length although it is obvious where some if not all go :rolleyes:

Compass Shadow 1988

Just sorted two awnings that I never owned (Sister's) and sold on ebay. To make it more difficult there were unwanted spare poles in both the bags, but once you have sorted the middle multi angle thing, the LH and RH side angles, the legs have feet and the rafters have hooks or suckers, it doesn't leave many places to fit the rest.

:unsure:

I agree with Brian, its not rocket science.

Rocket science is simples - wiring up the DVD recorder for digital signals is not.

My vote is for the LHD suggestion - Remembered by RED left. Easy way to remember this - I left my bottle of port at home.

Port is red.

So remembering that red - yellow (Middle pole) - green (Right hand pole) as in traffic lights and mark the poles with the appropriate colours with insulating tape.

Myself - well, I have put up the awning so many times I know just what to do because I am a genius.

Having said that, as the months go by I have a problem remembering just why I put red - yellow - and green tape out on the hall table.

I am writing this so I don't forget why.

BO

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma

I haven't read all of this, but what I used to do with my frame tents was:

Coloured insulation tape with one colour for roof perimeter. Another colour for roof cross sections, but double stripes at the end which met another section. ie. Red for perimeter, yellow for cross sections. The end that met the perimieter was red and yellow.

Same then for the legs. Front legs blue, with the top also red ( where it meets the roof)

And so on.

Oh Lordy Ted,

As you get older the memory goes a tadge - you will have to have a reminder list to remind you of all that - and then a post it note on the fridge to remind you where THAT list is.

Just number then in order of assembly would be far more simples - would it not?

BO