Hand Brake - On Or Off.

Woodie106

When in over wintering do you leave the handbrake on your van on or off.

Normally leave mine off & forgot last winter. When we came to use the van in the spring found one of the brakes locked on & had to take the wheel off to 'persuade' it to release. definitely off now for the winter.

So do you leave brakes on or off.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

The only time I put the brake on is the time between unhitching and lowering the steadies - ANYWHERE.

When the steadies are down I then remove the jockey wheel tightening lever and the handle. Just another confounding thing the ungodly have to get around.

Bo

more than one day off and wheels chocked.

Huh?

Oh I see. :mellow:

Usually leave the handbrake on at all times, if i'm leaving the van in storage for more than a few weeks then I will still pop down and move the van forward or backward slightly anyway to prevent tyre flat spots. Problem is that the storage area is rather exposed and there is a chance that the van could be pushed backwards or twist sideways in a gale if the handbrake is off. Nearly every other van in the compound also leave their brakes on for this reason. I have never had the brakes seize on but then we do tend to move the van every few weeks, either go away or just move it a little. Obviously we use it most weekends in summer so this isn't a problem.

Handbrake is also on all the time while on site. While getting ready to pack up recently I released the handbrake while removing the hitchlock. After lifting just one of the legs I was completely stunned when the van moved forwards a few inches!! Turns out that the van was on a very slight raised area of gravel which wasn't at all obvious. Carrying 4 chocks is the ideal situation to chock each side of both wheels but even then I have seen kids messing about and moving chocks from pitched vans!!

If I was leaving the van in storage for months without the ability to move it then I would choose a sheltered spot (but not under trees) and chock either side of each wheel with the brake off or even park the van in the tyre savers I have seen which are a curved shape to cradle the tyre. Stops the van moving and reduces the chance of tyre flat spots.

Ian

Handbrake off at home; on when pitched. We're only on site a few days at a time, not for months like some of you retirees :D

Handbrake off at home; on when pitched. We're only on site a few days at a time, not for months like some of you retirees :D

HA! I am retired and I don't have the time to go out for months - Just you wait until you retire Hawk?

Bo

I used to leave the brakes on as i'm seasonal but it was last year when I got my current 'van the previous owner had said he always left the brake off so I just adopted the same attitude as I also have the hitchlock (not that that matters) as well as the wheel clamp so it wouldn't move very far anyway, plus I heard it might make the brakes seize. This year due to work on the site my caravan's been moved to 3 different pitches and the wheels still spin, tyres ok (although it's been seasonal for a while so if I was moving site i'd change them just to be safe)

Walking round the storage area as I do with the dog I noticed most of the caravans had the brakes off.

Compass Shadow 1988

I always leave mine off and chocked. Have known others who leave them on and had problems. Peter

brakes off whilst in storage. Brakes on when bringing home, which isnt very frequent. Our drive has an upward incline and a brick wall a narrow road away. ...........dont trust hubbys chocking lol

Funnily enough, i have insisted the brake is on whilst on site. ( even though the wheel lock is on ) maybe after reading this i may do things slightly different! :P newbies!

When in storage off. ... If we are away for a few days or a week it is left on. Just stops any risk of anything going wrong when we break down at the end of the holiday. Lifting steadies when on chocks and the van could move when we dont want it to if we forget to put the brake back on when we are getting ready to leave. In storage is OK as it is flat. Just keeping us safe if something goes wrong or something gets forgotten. .

Coming from a service industry in the motor trade and dealing with all sorts of vehicles where they have been parked up for a long period with the handbrake left on, and know what work/cost can be involved to free them off when they have actually seized on.

I myself used to just chock the wheels on our caravans until we had one with wheel locks and now I just use them.

Archived