Floor Rotten In Back Corners?

tracysid

Hi, we have just bought a 2003 Abbey. However we have just noticed that the corners of the floor are rotten at the back of the van. We've checked for damp inside and it's fine. What's the best way of finding the reason for this and then repairing? OH thinks it might be the awning rail but it just seems odd that it's on both sides, would it be unlikely that both sides are leaking? We have tried to lift the carpet but it's glued down although we realise we will have to remove it. Thought it was the loo at first until we spotted it on the other side.

Any help greatly appeciated!

First of all, did you buy from a dealer? if so take it back you have a warranty. If you bought privately, did the advert say it was dry? did you ask if it was dry? If it was said that it was dry you still have a claim against the seller, you would have to persue this through the small claims court if they didn't give you your money back. It's a minefield out there " Caveat emptor" buyer beware. Give us more details maybe we can help. Peter

What did it say on the ad. or did you buy it word of mouth?.. Peter

Hi, we have just bought a 2003 Abbey.

We have a 2003 Abbey 417 owned from new, what model is yours? We had a leak that manifested itself as a pool of water on the shelf below the window in our rear bathroom. The dealer diagnosis and warranty repair was to the window seal which was said to be leaking though I proved this to be incorrect. While I was cleaning the top edge of the rear panel (on the roof of the 'van) I spotted that there was a small crack in the grp gel coat, on giving the crack a poke the gel broke away leaving a depression and what amounted to a hole! Ensuring the surface was completely dry I sealed it up with Sikaflex and have not had a problem with it since. Be worth getting the step ladders out and having a good look.

Damp in the rear corners usually points at the awning rail both sides or roof joint and is tracking down both side . Before any damage can replaced the leak needs to be stopped . A damp meter will help find the leak and give some help in finding the leak . It could be coming down from a window if there is one in the rear wall . Once the leak has stopped and dried out then you can look at replacing the damaged area or just enjoying the caravan if it is fine to use .

If you feel capable of repairing the leaks yourself do a search online and there is plenty of information on repairing caravans .

Dave

Did you buy off e-bay? If so you can raise an issue there. Hope it was. peter

Archived