Nose Weight

the dale

Just bought a milenco calibrated nose weight gauge and measured the caravan and was shocked that it came out at 115KG now the nose weight of the car is 75KG and the estimated nose weight of the caravan is 92 kg when fully laden. Now this is a new caravan and we have only added about 50 KG of weight to it am i doing something wrong.

Thanx in advance new to caravanning

What type of car and caravan do you have?

What type of layout is the van? ie end bathroom, fixed bed?

Where is the battery box and gas bottle locker?

Where have you added the payload?

The nose weight of the car is 75kgs and the van is 92kgs when laden, obviously you can't load the van to 92kgs nose weight as your tow ball and car are not built for that. You will have to achieve less than 75kgs nose weight.

Brian

Just bought a milenco calibrated nose weight gauge and measured the caravan and was shocked that it came out at 115KG now the nose weight of the car is 75KG and the estimated nose weight of the caravan is 92 kg when fully laden. Now this is a new caravan and we have only added about 50 KG of weight to it am i doing something wrong.

Thanx in advance new to caravanning

Not really wrong. You need to take out what you have put in, then check the noseweight with the caravan empty (and on the level, with the hitch at the height it will be when connected to your loaded car). You can then start reloading, trying to distribute weight as evenly as possible, where it needs to go. Do you have 1 gas bottle or 2? - you are limited to keeping those at the front, of course, but a lot of other gear can find a home further back - ideally low down, just behind the axle for heavy stuff. Add half of what you took out, then check noseweight again, and so on.

Thanx Brian

Car is 2009 VW Golf Estate 1. 9 TDI SE

Caravan is a new Bailey Olympus 464

Fixed bed with bathroom at side

Gas bottle locker at front but i havnt got one in

Battery is over axle

We have only put a couple of esentials in distibuted throughout

Thanks Brian

Unless i have a duff new calibrated weight gauge i will also double check with some scales, come to think of it brian i lowered the hitch as far down as it would go so that would be further down than if it was hitched you can see i am new to this game

The Milenco gauge is designed so it measures at the right hight. When you load your van to go then you would put the heavy stuff like the awning a little behind the axle to balance things out. unless your loaded and ready to run then your wasting your time.

Thanx Brian

Car is 2009 VW Golf Estate 1. 9 TDI SE

Caravan is a new Bailey Olympus 464

Fixed bed with bathroom at side

Gas bottle locker at front but i havnt got one in

Battery is over axle

We have only put a couple of esentials in distibuted throughout

I think you would be towing about 87% which is no problem.

Probably the best thing, as already advised, is to empty the van and measure the nose weight.

The nose weight limits are usually stated with the van level but the Milenco gauge is supposed to be the best on the market so I would tend to believe that it is accurate.

I think you then have to get the gas bottles and battery in the van, then get some weight low down behind the axle to get a 75kg or less nose weight.

I have an end washroom Lunar and until I get the bits and pieces into the washroom my nose weight is too high.

Once you get an acceptable figure then I find the only variables are usually gas and food.

So if the gas bottles are full when you balance the van then the nose weight will only get less as you use from the bottles.

It is difficult to get the total weight of the van, when loaded, unless you buy a reich weight control, or similar, and they are expensive.

So I try and keep food (not beer) to a minimum and clothes based on what I would take in a large suitcase, other bits can go in the car.

The awning is easier in the car if you have space.

Brian

Thanks Brian

Unless i have a duff new calibrated weight gauge i will also double check with some scales, come to think of it brian i lowered the hitch as far down as it would go so that would be further down than if it was hitched you can see i am new to this game

I have a very similar outfit, as you can see, so I'd be interested to know what unladen nose weight you find when you double check. When you check by 'broomstick and scales' method the 'van should be level (front to back) to get an accurate reading.

John.

I also have an Olympus 464 it is being towed by an Avensis Saloon with a 75Kg noseweight limit

I have struggled with the noseweight. Bailey say that ex works the noseweight is 88Kg. When it was delivered it had a noseweight around 100Kg. That was after I had the mover fitted behind the wheels which helped.

I have managed to get the noseweight down to 75Kg by moving the spare wheel from underneath to the rear of the fixed bed and also piling the full awning and every thing else under the bed against the rear wall. Then having nothing but 2 x 907 gas bottles in front of the wheels.

I am concerned that in order to reach the 75Kg limit I am having to load the van in an unsafe way. Bailey's own research shows that putting excessive weight at the rear induces a horizontal pendulum effect that could lead to a snake.

Regretfully I have decided to replace the well liked Avensis a couple of years early with a medium 4x4 with 100Kg noseweight so that I feel more safe.

Big single axle caravans especially fixed bed ones suffer from this, we have lunar Clubman SE, l have know problem getting a nose weight of 90KG but then again l have Shogun which makes it a lot easier to get a good nose weight within the parameters of the car and van. l have often wondered how those with lighter cars go on, l have seen Mondeoes towing vans well above 1500KG, wondered how they went on getting a nose weight around 75 80 Kg, even seen some leaving site towing nose down. The shogun is always balanced to either level or ever so slightly nose down, my Melenco always reads about 90 to 92 Kg when the van is set like this and tows like a dream. It feels safe which is why l have always had Shoguns or equivelent 4x4, once had a Rover 75 that had a nose weight of 100Kg so was able to tow o/k with that. l would never advocate putting the awning at the rear of the van, always over the axle for me or a little behind to try and get the nose lighter. The down side of couse owning a large 4x4 is the extra road tax (£464) for my Shogun fuel is not a big problem has l get a good MPG when towing around 23mpg. Cant understand for life of me why have to pay that sort of road tax when theirs a so called tree hugger down the road who drives a fifteen year old transit pouring out blue smoke when she's loaded up for one of her car boot sales with a sign in the back window save our plannet. Winge over.

NigelH

Archived