Cx -7 (Again)

rinty

As some of you may be aware, after an 'uncomfortable' holiday in France this summer due to the tail (Bailey Pageant Bretagne 7) wagging the dog (BMW 320d MSport) I decided to change the car to something heavier. That something turned out to be a Mazda CX7 due to its size (big enough but not too big), four wheel drive (live in the country so will be useful if it ever snows again), reliability (its a Mazda), economy (genuine 35 mpg), price and toys (comes loaded).

Anyway as I have only recently got the car we havnt had a chance to go away for a weekend but today I hooked up the van and took it for a spin.

I cant say if the Mazda is any better or worse than any other car - except the BMW. The difference is night and day. Sat at 60 mph totally steady, felt safe and wasnt annoyed by being passed by large vans/lorries etc. I am absolutely delighted and am now looking forward to next years holidays rather than dreading them.

Finally (for all BM owners) - I loved my 3 series, a superb car beautifully engineered and still looked like new after 5 years and 85,000 miles. My mother bought it off me and I live in hope that some day I'll get it back off her. It just wasnt haevy enough for the caravan that I bought.

Hi rinty. Please forgive my rather blunt approach to your new found 'Dream Machine' but is this not simply a reworked Ford Kuga?.

It has been put out in a very similar way to the early Kuga offerings,that is to say a limited engine portfolio and no Auto Box.

You don't say which of the two current models that you have.

From what I know of them the 2. 3T has a maximum braked towing of only just above the 85% of the published kerb-weight and the 2. 2 has a maximum braked towing of 1800kgs and also weighs in a lot heavier at a published weight of 1865kgs,this gives an 85% of 1585.

That in itself gives your Britange a very admirable match.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Its the 2. 2d - the only one available since late 2009.

dont think it shares any parts with the Kuga (although if it did that would be no problem) but its quite a bit bigger in all dimensions.

Also predates the Kuga by 2 or 3 years (in petrol form) But yes you are correct that it has no auto box but as for limited engines - other than an appropriately sized diesel what other engine is releveant. How many Freelanders are sold without the 2. 2d?

Apart from very minor changes like trim and detailing there is only one Kuga release. It is not related to the Mazda.

Hi Chris,

Told you it was more that up to the job :D

Even with the Bretagne fully loaded it will still give you a turn of speed if you have to go over 60 :o :o if you want to pass a line of slower moving traffic.

I think Proterra will be along soon to also praise the car.

Cracking choice on the Mazda. A very underrated brand that in terms of kit, dealer support and an all round package is tough to beat.

Makes the kuga look like a toy car in comparison.

I have just changed my mazda 3 185 sport for a 4x4 (not for towing as we have a navara) but I just wanted something bigger and the cx7 was second on the list. Great great car well done on your choice !

Apart from very minor changes like trim and detailing there is only one Kuga release. It is not related to the Mazda.

Hi Alansl. The Kuga was not released with an Auto box originally. After about 18months it acquired an Auto box but only in the highest spec' available.

With the house on the market and all funds being available to disappear onto the Costa Blanca we were pondering the Freelander 2 3. 2i6 HSE as a Dealer Demo and the Kuga but when I realised that it did not come in Auto it was back-seated. The house still has the board up,3yrs 8months on.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

I was picking up on 'early kuga' there has been no mk1,mk2 etc

The two cars are unrelated

Re nose weights. ...

Cx7 = 85kg

Kuga = 105kg