School Holidays

cfcseasideblues

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

everyone puts their price up for school holiday :unsure: . Why are you surprised :wacko:

anyone else come across this
Sadly I have. It's all about supply and demand. All of my life I have been plagued by this as one or more of my family have either been at school, or teaching in a school. I know, it's an absolute pain.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Sadly I have. It's all about supply and demand. All of my life I have been plagued by this as one or more of my family have either been at school, or teaching in a school. I know, it's an absolute pain.

Gordon.

Or another way of putting it is "profiteering"

Hi

just found a lovely site in wrexham called plassey leisure,so checked prices for october and they have put prices up £10 pn just because of school holidays :angry:

Nothing unusual, you may find that the site is fully booked too as it is a very popular site.

I would boycott the sites that bump up their prices
I know it makes me feel like that sometimes, but in reality prices do vary according to the season, and it is perfectly normal to have to pay more in school holidays / bank holidays etc.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Hi

just found a lovely site in wrexham called plassey leisure,so checked prices for october and they have put prices up £10 pn just because of school holidays :angry:

As someone who served as a teacher for many years I can assure you that this is perfectly normal. Now retired I can enjoy less expensive holidays. June is very nice! :)

John.

Prices normally double on sites during school holiday periods . I can pay £40 a night (Haven) in school hols and the same site in low season will be £4 a night with all the facilities as said its demand .

Dave

Think of it as receiving a discount during the off-peak periods, and you won't find the price variations half as irritating. ..

Having started a family at 52 I've had many years of "off-peak" holidays. Not for much longer though! One of the reasons for buying a van was to be able to take little 'un (4 at the end of this month) away for a more reasonable cost compared to self-catering cottages, etc. as soon we will be restricted to school holidays and all prices escalate with peak demand.

Luckily enough when our guys were at school the profiteering element had not got a hold on campsites, But these days since the big companies are cashing in on the act (Haven etc) all others will follow suite. :ph34r: :ph34r:

As I said in an earler post that I had just booked 9 nights at Haven at Caister near Gt. Yarmouth for the half term for £78. 00 all in, including Wife 2 tinlids, dog, awning and a europitch with all passes for the entertainments etc. etc

I would boycott the sites that bump up their prices

don't think you would be doing much caravanning in the school holidays or other peak periods :lol:

It's called Supply and Demand - or is that nice words for GREED !!!!

one of the advantages of being an old codger

bill

I've booked a week in a cottage in Northumberland for the early June spring bank holiday next year & its over £200 more for the holiday week,

More to the point most of the ones we looked at were already booked up :blink:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Or another way of putting it is "profiteering"

Why is it they are profiteering. The person is in business and when you are in business you need to make money, or you go bust. If yo do not agree with it then go somewhere else.

The site owner could well say. The prices I charge during the school holiday are the normal prices. But when the schools are not on holiday I lower the prices to fill up the pitches. £10 a night is good value. If you were the site owner what would you do.

I am self employed and I try to maximise the profit for any item I am selling. If it is not selling I lower the price to shift stock.

The site owner could well say. The prices I charge during the school holiday are the normal prices. But when the schools are not on holiday I lower the prices to fill up the pitches. £10 a night is good value. If you were the site owner what would you do.

Spot on. There is a "normal" price, and a "reduced" price for those avoiding the peak times. Just like the railways.

"What the market will bear" and "supply and demand" are common parameters to setting the price for a service so the variations in pitch prices are completely understandable.

However when the government brought in rules making it much more difficult to take children out of school during term time perhaps they should have restricted the charge increases allowed during school holidays as well.

The site owners could actually be making a loss at the lower charges making the period of higher charges the only way they stay in business. I notice for example the CC end of year accounts show a net loss for the sites on their own for last year.

As parents, at least where we live, one way to beat this is for your child to have an excellent attendance record at school (chickenpox & other 'major' childhood illnesses exempted)...our local school allows a maximum of 2 weeks out of school for holidays at any 1 time (obviously you don't take the pee & do it regularly). This includes nursery class (half a day, every day) where we live up to end of primary.

Luckily, for us, this means a long weekend at the end of September / beginning October (but the previous year MAY be taken into account when granting permission) & Abi's Birthday, which is mid June, so all starting to wind down for the summer holidays anyway. ..& we generally always go to the same site which is the same price throughout the season anyways!!!

Sadly caravanning with children will always be more expensive if we have to go during holidays. ....can't understand why Haven et al put their prices up though, they're full anyways in the statics etc so make their money there!!!

Spot on. There is a "normal" price, and a "reduced" price for those avoiding the peak times. Just like the railways.

Tough on those who are unable to avoid peak times.

John.

"What the market will bear" and "supply and demand" are common parameters to setting the price for a service so the variations in pitch prices are completely understandable.

However when the government brought in rules making it much more difficult to take children out of school during term time perhaps they should have restricted the charge increases allowed during school holidays as well.

The site owners could actually be making a loss at the lower charges making the period of higher charges the only way they stay in business. I notice for example the CC end of year accounts show a net loss for the sites on their own for last year.

How could the government restrict charge increases in a free market economy ? That would only work if the government nationalised the travel and leisure industry.

The Caravan Club's sites' loss is more likely to be attributed to "the full at weekend and mass vacancies during weekdays" phenomenon.

Archived