A Point To Ponder.

AWanderingLancastrian

I received a letter,indeed the third to remind us of the pending service on our 2001 Elddis Crusader SuperSirocco. It actually began. According to our records. It was actually due 1st Oct. Health issues prevented me booking it in and taking it over.

Service at home or or at storage is a No No.

I had previously asked a chap who services a friend's caravan and he quoted me £150. 00 for a Full Service,he is a One Man Band and has been in business for many years.

The third letter Boldly Stated,. We will not be beaten on price! - if you have had a cheaper quote give us a call. The envelope also contained a flyer in which the free roof wash with every full service (worth £29. 99)was included.

I duly made the phone call and after a rather fractious several minutes of trying to get the service chappy on the line to understand that ours was a Twin Axle and purchased from them on the 30th July last year it all fell into place (apparently). I reinforced by statement by reminding him that their letter stated that 'According to our records your Elddis Crusader etc etc '.

The caravan was booked in only after an agreement to Price Match and that the Exterior Wash incl' the roof would be carried out under their terms of a Full Service flyer details.

The caravan was taken up to their site and then the agreement was kicked back on the grounds that it was not possible for a full service at the eventual price that was previously agreed. They increased the figure and rounded off at £200. 00, this included the "FREE WASH". After a period of discussion Ms Rooster said "it is here now let it be done,it will save a lot of messing about putting it back into storage and having the effort of getting it back out again". It stayed.

I later received a phone call (PROBLEMS!),there was a leak at the rear of the shower tap assembly; it turned out to be something or nothing due to a lousy replacement by a servicing facility the week before it was PX'd. It came from Dundee to this dealer as a PX for a new Motorhome.

The real kick in the N*** was the housing for the cartridge filter had a broken neck at the start of the screw thread,leaking like an upturned bucket and would not pressurise the system. The van was only in use three weeks ago up in the North East !!!!!!!!!???. The filter body is only ever removed for replacement of the charcoal filter and seals. The replacement cost for the damaged housing was/is £70. 00 + including VAT.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

There are very few "caravan mechanics" that I would let near my caravan. Once you find a good genuine no messing engineer stick with him, They are worth their weight in gold.

I have read, and re-read your post, and I am still pondering what point you are trying to make. Was the price of the service not matched? Did the dealer not wash the roof? Was it that a previous owner broke the water inlet, only for it to fail at this service? Are you suggesting the service engineer was careless and broke it? What?

I am sorry,I posted but needed to included a forgotten detail then I had an incoming phone call that delayed resubmitting for over 30minutes. The edited version is completed.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Water filter housing break either in the winter by water trapped and freezing(filter best removed for the winter) or if the housing is broken in the summer the filter has been overtightened when its been replaced .

£70 fitted is not bad as the old unit has to be removed and the new one replaced with fresh mastic .

Dave

Water filter housing break either in the winter by water trapped and freezing(filter best removed for the winter) or if the housing is broken in the summer the filter has been overtightened when its been replaced .

£70 fitted is not bad as the old unit has to be removed and the new one replaced with fresh mastic .

Dave

Hi Dave. The van was being used only three weeks earlier as I stated. We had been on two different sites in the North East with no issue regarding the housing. We had also taken the van to Longleat in June of this year,no housing issues.

So If I understand you correctly, your complaints are that (1) the dealer went back on his original agreement to match the £150 service price, and (2) you believe he was heavy handed and broke you servicable(?) filter housing. In other words you believe he has charged you £120 more than originally agreed for shoddy service. Am I right?

To be honest, you will probably be wasting your time complaining, but I would still write to them politely explaining your concerns. He may just respond favourably, but if not and if he writes to you next year to remind you that a service is due, write back explaining your dissatisfaction with the way you were treated this time, and tell him that the caravan has already been serviced elsewhere for £150.

So If I understand you correctly, your complaints are that (1) the dealer went back on his original agreement to match the £150 service price, and (2) you believe he was heavy handed and broke you servicable(?) filter housing. In other words you believe he has charged you £120 more than originally agreed for shoddy service. Am I right?

Well I'm glad you cleared this up as I was still puzzled as to what the complaint exactly was. ..

Coachman Amara 380/2

When I had a 'van with that filter housing, I had so much trouble removing the filter, coupled with the fact that I cannot see the reason for a filter, that I found the best way was to by-pass it altogether. My 2006 'van does not have any kind of filter and that's the way I like it.

I have talked to others and asked them when they replaced their filter and the usual reply is either they can't shift them, or they never do change them. Better to let the water run through "unfiltered" than let it run through 2 or 3 or more years of collected bugs. Peter

To be honest, you will probably be wasting your time complaining, but I would still write to them politely explaining your concerns. He may just respond favourably, but if not and if he writes to you next year to remind you that a service is due, write back explaining your dissatisfaction with the way you were treated this time, and tell him that the caravan has already been serviced elsewhere for £150.

Hi ExTenter. The deal was agreed at £150. 00 on a Price Match. This was also agreed to include the "Free Wash,incl. roof.

When I responded to their reminder letter (the third) I reminded them that it was a Twin Axle & they had our records of purchase etc from the July 2010 sale to us.

I reiterated the details and reminded them of the 'We will not be beaten on on price" boast.

Upon arrival they shifted the 'Goal Posts' and claimed that there was a mistake and it could not be carried out for the figure that had been agreed.

Ms Rooster intervened and then agreed to a £200. 00 revised figure,I was for walking (towing it away).

The van was left on the basis of my explanation in my post. It is me that does all of the Hauling & Mauling.

After we returned,I received a phone call to inform me of the 'Problems'.

The leaking (Flooding Out) filter housing was not an issue whilst we were away on two previous occasions between the end of July and three weeks ago. I replaced the charcoal filter bag myself after the Winter drain down in readiness for an early Spring escape,it didn't happen.

The van is still there part way through the service & now awaiting the replacement housing and will be collected when ready on Monday or Tuesday during the mid/late morning.

Well I'm glad you cleared this up as I was still puzzled as to what the complaint exactly was. ..

Hi LePhantom. He( ExTenter)hasn't cleared it up,his understanding and reading of the issue was during my 'Edit' session.

My additional post #10 sheds some Extra Light for him.

Any others will read both entries.

When I had a 'van with that filter housing, I had so much trouble removing the filter, coupled with the fact that I cannot see the reason for a filter, that I found the best way was to by-pass it altogether. My 2006 'van does not have any kind of filter and that's the way I like it.

I have talked to others and asked them when they replaced their filter and the usual reply is either they can't shift them, or they never do change them. Better to let the water run through "unfiltered" than let it run through 2 or 3 or more years of collected bugs. Peter

Hi peterjohn. Firstly the recommendation is to change the cartridge charcoal filter at the beginning of each season.

It is a potential health risk to ignore the filter change schedule if the water is ever likely to be consumed,even after boiling.

The cartridge body can be stubborn to move but with the correct 'T' shaped key they are easily removed. The problem is a Plastic to Plastic contact and the friction that is generated when left for any length of time,this makes it difficult to unscrew them and impossible without the correct tool.

I think your first instinct to walk away was correct. Had you done that, you would not have been charged £200 + £70 and would still have had the fall back of the persoin who serviced your friend's caravan. The only extra thing you would have had to do was wash the roof, and I am sure that could have been achieved for less than the additional £120 you were charged.

I stand by my thoughts on what to do now, as highlighted in my earlier post #7.

Good luck for the future.

Archived