Powrbar Or Power Actuator?

ppear3

Just puchased a Lunar 556 and the dealer is organising fitting a Powertouch motor mover. The question is do I go for the manual engagement (Powrbar) or opt for the auto engagement (Power Actuator)? Although its £250 extra, which isn't a problem, an engineer once told me "never to go with the auto as it's more electronic gadgetry to go wrong and it's extra weight". Views please?

After my hip operation I considered having the power actuator fitted because I felt that it would be difficult for me to engage the the mover with the cross actuator. Once we started to go away again after the op I found I could manage perfectly well using the cross actuator so I did not bother. If you don't mind spending the money why not have it fitted, afterall it is covered by the Powertouch warranty which seems the best of the bunch. However if you are physically able I feel its a luxury rather than a necessity.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

we've got the powerbar and it works OK although the missus can't swing it over. We went for the powerbare as I had to park the van very close up to a wall with access to one side of the van only. Thus if there was a problem with the electric actuator I couldn't get to it to manually operate it. We don't have that problem now so I will get electric actuators when we replace the van as they are definitely easier (no bending down at all :)

According to Powrtouch the weight is about the same as the powrbar.

I removed the cross actuator bar because it was so difficult to engage and I have access to both sides of my van so didn't need it. Its so much easier to engage one side at a time. Handy though for anyone parked in a tight space.

Regarding the powrtouch auto actuator a friend of mine eventually had it removed as the units were replaced so many times he got fed up with the hassle. Apparently if these go down whilst engaged its a long, pain in the a**e job to manually wind them off.

I think your engineer gives good advice, all the gizmos are very nice but are places for things to go wrong. If you have easy access then manually dealing with each wheel is easy and leaves room for problems, if access is not easy then a cross actuation mechanism is essential, and if for some reason you are physically challenged then an electronic option would seem a good idea.

We used to have a powrbar to engage both sides at once. We didn't need it but it was a promotion freebie so we got it anyway. I always found it took a lot of effort to engage it, far more than was comfortable. I removed it and much prefer it this way doing each wheel separately.

I may have had a setting problem with the rollers too close to the tyres, but I don't know, the engineer installed it. Even so, it takes more effort to copmpress two tyres than one when you are pulling on the lever.

Next time I buy one I will go for the electric actuator. I'm not getting any younger.

Gordon

I went for the mark iv human activation its quick, efficient, and very powerful, and if she breaks down she is covered by a full NHS warranty

We use the mover for everything, parking up on site, hitching up, parking on the drive etc. We have the actuation bar so that we only have to wind it on from one side. Having to wind on from both sides would just add to the chore. I do it at the moment as hubby is recovering from a back op and I find it ok to do. I would certainly have the bar as opposed to nothing. I don't know anything about the auto engagement though. We have a Reich but I think they all work in the same way.

We have been using Power touch for over 14 years, as we always purchased at show they came with a power bar. The power bar works but the increase in pressure needed to put it on and off made it very heavy going for my good lady who likes to feel useful.

The only reason for having it is, if you cannot access both side of the van, say in storage up against a wall.

Without it it's a simple easy job and the time saved by having it is negligible. In fact I believe that I still have an unused one at the back of the garage. Anyone want it make me an offer pick up only. Notts or Surrey areas. PM me and i'll have a rummage.

Power actuator - not a clue - simple is best and it is so easy that I would only go this route if physically unable to do it manually. but then that's just me

Edited by Alan Stanley

I went for the mark iv human activation its quick, efficient, and very powerful, and if she breaks down she is covered by a full NHS warranty

I don't think the NHs warranty is as good as Powertouch's but I may be wrong.

poolebob

If the NHS changes go through, I may get powertouch to look after my defibulator/pacemaker implant, my last one only lasted three years before it needed replacement, and then I had to do a 120 mile round trip to hospital, powertouch at least do it at your own home!

We have had the Motor Drive (power actuator) since Reich first introduced them, it always works first time everytime and it's far much easier to press a button on the remote oontrol and let them engage automatically, than have to mess around with tools or bars etc. , esspecially in bad weather.

I went for just the bar on our HD Powertouch, In hindsight i wish id had the Power Actuator. The dam thing caucht me on my knee one day, a hell of a wappop if your not careful. I limped for a week.

nigel

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

We had the bar originally as the power actuators required a seperate switch from the white remote control to activate them.

But when the electronics developed a fault and they changed the control box for the new one with the blue remote, I paid to upgrade to the Power Actuators and I am pleased we did.

GPS