Tom Tom Satnav

BOAC

Recently, in wet - damp - soggy Wales I entered an itinery route in my Tom Tom, from Fishguard to Aberystwyth via A roads.

A straight enough road using the same A road number for the majority of the way.

Yet Tommy in all his wisdom - or lack of it - tried to divert me off the route twice. Luckily - Sue was following the map but this defeats the object of ever buying a damm Tom Tom in the first place.

I blame the plank(s) that wrote the software - surely they cant be as dim as all that.

Or is it that they are trying to get us to cough up 300 quid odd for the lorry drivers version?

If that is the case ER HELLO - a map is cheaper you Tom Tom Wallahs

My question to you on CT is this :-

Is there any way of telling my Tom Tom to follow only A roads?

AND

Have you any amusing tales for the chuckle lovers on CT.

The only story I have to relate is once - while towing - I followed an instruction and found myself in a road - if you can call it that -grass down the middle - 2 inches to spare on either side. No problem.

The only problem were the 200 cows being driven up the road after milking and a further problem was the squishing noise from the tyres as we drove through pure cow stuff and then the smell hit us and I mean HIT. BIG style. So there we were - tears in our eyes and having a lot of trouble breathing driving at 1. 45 MPH for at least half a mile. THATS a long time gagging for breath and crying.

I could'nt stop because of the muck spreader, horse box and two tractors behind me trying to urge me to get a move on. The drivers were probaly cursing caravans and we were cursing mooks - muck spreaders - tractors and MOST of all TOM TOM.

I had to look on the map for the nearest ford and I crossed it several times at the higest speed I could to wash the speckled green paint job off the rig (25 MPH) much to the amusement of the locals and all because of those software planks.

If you are reading this and are laughing - I hope you get a hernia.

I hope your TOM TOM leads you over double the cow stuff I went through and if you think I will EVER buy a Tom Tom again - well yes, when Sue loses the ability to read a map which I hope will be after I am dead and then that will save me the price of buying an expensive TOM TOM that ACTUALLY works as the user demands.

Regards

Pete

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma

Hi Pete

Go into the settings on your tom and check if you have fastest route or shortest route selected if you have shortest route it would direct you through towns/villages rather than bypass them.

kot

pigs

Hi Pete

Go into the settings on your tom and check if you have fastest route or shortest route selected if you have shortest route it would direct you through towns/villages rather than bypass them.

kot

pigs

Ta - Already done that, and it still plays silly games.

It only started being funny after I paid out £29 for a map update. I will contact El Plankos and see what they have to say

Bo

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma

Bo

Then send it to Basil and he will give it a damm good thrashing with tree branch

kot

pigs

Fastest route or shortest route, they'll always send you down narrow windy single track lanes Pete. Most of them have national speed limit signs on them, even though you can only get up to about 20mph on them! <_<

Here we go again - The bash satnav thread. Well I'm more than happy to use mine. It rarely lets me down and it has saved the countless arguments and wrong turnings that maps always seem to bring with them. Try driving through the centre of Paris or London with a paper map. Yes, it can be done, but it is a hell of a lot easier when you can keep your eyes on the road and listen to a voice prompt - and if you do go wrong, no worries it will forgive you and start again. Not many wives do that automatically!!!

Edited by mw3230

Here we go again - The bash satnav thread.

Well, it DESERVES it.

Having said that - yes - it is good in London and the likes, but if you are unfortunate enough to have to tow in London . ...................

Most of us don't.

It seems to me its a simple thing I request and if you disagree with that I am off to sulk. You have really upset me in your lack of consideration for me.

I am going to razor my wrists cause of you.

Well, I would but we have a power cut and my razor won't work.

Pete

Some years ago I had a TomTom and got fed up with it sending us on silly routes, so I bought a Snooper. This worked well for 2 years until there was an update. It then went completely daft. Asked us to leave islands at the 5th exit when there was only 4 and then tried to turn us round!!!

Sold it on ebay and bought a Navigon for caravans a couple of months ago. Has proved OK so far and does give you route alternatives.

Hasn't sent us up a gumtree yet but I don't actually trust any of them now.

I had a tomtom a few years ago. I nowb use co pilot on my phone which is much better, and has not took me on a silly rohte yet.

Anyway, my tomtom fun experiance was coming home from Crystal Palace CC site a couple of years ago. I missed the turn to get on the motorway to bypass central london and you guessed it, ended up going through central london with caravan in tow, at one point we were on a road along side hyde park. Thank god it was new years day and much quiter than normal.

Sam

Here we go again - The bash satnav thread. Well I'm more than happy to use mine. It rarely lets me down and it has saved the countless arguments and wrong turnings that maps always seem to bring with them. Try driving through the centre of Paris or London with a paper map. Yes, it can be done, but it is a hell of a lot easier when you can keep your eyes on the road and listen to a voice prompt - and if you do go wrong, no worries it will forgive you and start again. Not many wives do that automatically!!!

Wouldn't have a car fitted without sat nav, even have a cheap one just for walking and cycling.

Still allow the wife to join in though with her map book, just so she doesn't feel left out.

Sat nav, best thing since sliced bread, reversing camera, blue tooth, ditto.

Wouldn't have a car fitted without sat nav, even have a cheap one just for walking and cycling.

Still allow the wife to join in though with her map book, just so she doesn't feel left out.

Sat nav, best thing since sliced bread, reversing camera, blue tooth, ditto.

But you surely wouldn't tow your caravan in Cornwall without first checking a map or google maps first?

I have one of the old Tomtom's, and one of the newest 1690 Garmin's

The Garmin drives me mad.

I just can't get to grips with it.

So if any one wants to swap a new Garmin, for a decent Tomtom, give me a shout through PM.

Graham

I used to have a Tom Tom which got sent to the bin as even with fastest route / lorry when solo it used to send me some weird and wonderful routes. I swapped it for the Garmin Navu 310 I still have, set it to lorry and and never had a problem towing yet with it (as long as I remember to change it to lorry when towing) I usually check the route on a lorry road map I have that shows all the height/ weight restrictions etc and it comes out with the map / google route I would take but has the advantage of being updated regular with the lifetime map updates. So I am happy with that now I did look at the caravan specific ones a while ago but they all seemed to have teething problems when they come down in price I might have to ask santa for one :)

What the Tom Tom did was logical though not useful in practice. I can see only one place where it went wrong where the B4582 branches off from the A487 and cuts off nearly 3 miles from the route. An option to show a preference for major roads in the main options would improve this but it does not exist on my tomtom. This is why I always check new routes agaist a map before I go and make a note of any place that I plan to ignore the sat nav directions. As people say they are very useful in London though very frequently you do not get the best route to a place as I found to my cost last March when going from Abbey wood to Herne Hill when it took me all around he houses to get there, probably slightly shorter but definitely not as straightforward as I had hoped.

But you surely wouldn't tow your caravan in Cornwall without first checking a map or google maps first?

Thats right, thats the wifes job, checking against the map.

If the simulated sat nav route proves ok, then we use it.

We usually check the site out solo, but its not always practical.

Find goggle street camera shots useful

TomTom's re-routing facility is very useful, but it can get you into trouble - well it almost did for me.

I was towing solo after landing in Cherbourg at 10am on a weekday, for the very first time in that town. I had prepared TomTom for that part of the journey from the Ferry and had verified it by map ofcourse, but unfortunately I missed an important turning while still in Cherbourg (was in the wrong lane at the traffic lights) and TomTom took over, redirecting me to 'Take the next Left' - which I did. Well it then took me another left into a one way street - and there I was, right in the middle of Market Day with stalls all over the rather narrow street. .......just managed a tight squeeze past stalls . ...squeaking tyres against kerbs. .....caravan brushing awnings of stalls on both sides. ... some interesting French verbals all round which I didn't fully understand but I got the general meaning !!!

I've never been back to Cherbourg. ...someone might recognise me!

a couple of years ago we were negotiating Glasgow whilst all the work was being done on the motorway network. TomTom negotiated us around the traffic chaos under flyovers (seemingly between pillars etc) and through what looked like back streets. At no time were we held up or stuffed down streets that we couldn't negotiate with the van hanging off the back (lorries were using the same route) so I'm quite impressed - however we always check the route using a map before we go and if it looks a bit iffy then use the map as well.

Only once have we been directed over a dodgy road but as we were checking the map at the same time we declined to use it. If you blindly go where it takes you without checking first then it's hard to have much sympathy if you end up driving over a cliff (or worse)

In France this year between us we had three satnavs so a good excuse to play with the boys toys.

1. Special Caravan Sat nav £350 ish at the caravan show Snooper type. Routing was OK but it drove us mad. Once in a speed restricted area it kept on Issuing warnings every few seconds even when at walking pace in 30 limits e. t. c. . At first it was funny then stupid then almost got thrown out of the car. It just would not shut up, worse than having the mother in law in the car. Yes us boys did spend an admittedly slightly tipsy afternoon in the menus trying to turn that bit off but if it was there we didn't find it. Open another bottle of red please.

2. Newish Tom Tom. Set to fastest route. OK on main roads but in country areas of France. Forget it - it took us 45 klicks sorry kilometres to get to lunch. Every time we used it we got the impression that the thing was intent on showing us every minor road in the area. Didn't keep warning us of speed limits e. t. c. when we were well below them though.

3. Navman 575 £99 Halfords. Also set to fastest route. Return route from lunch as above suddenly shortened to 32 klicks. It does not have millions of options but is very simple to understand, input and follow. Simple speed warnings that shut up if you are below limit.

Every time we put them side by side the Tom Tom went off in different directions to both the others unless on main roads.

Girls who are both expert map navigators, and I mean expert, had great fun in the back trying to out guess the boys toys.

Conclusion for us.

They all got us where we wanted to go eventually. Navman was by far the easiest to use and in France most efficient. Extra money for Caravan Friendly one was a waste of money in France but probably useful in places like Cornwall, but the owner wants to know how to shut the thing up, before he kills it. When you are 'lost in France' they are all worth every penny, and cheaper than a divorce. Battery life as given in the instructions is made up by people who want to sell them. They lie.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Thanks Allan,

Lots of handy info there.

So what one would you recommend for the UK while towing?

Pete

In my 30 years of driving I have never used any sort of electronic navigation aid. that is why I will never buy any sat nav, I am quite happy using maps.

I never did master the act of reading a map while driving, found i had to stop to read it, and at night it was a pain.

Any sat nav will talk to you while you drive, ok the route isn't always the best, but it always gets you there, and if you really want a map, well the satnav is one isn't it?, all lit up and scale adjustable.

None of my maps do that, not in over 40 years driving.

In my 30 years of driving I have never used any sort of electronic navigation aid. that is why I will never buy any sat nav, I am quite happy using maps.

You are entitled to this opinion and I respect your view but I'm puzzled by it. If you've not had a satnav then you cannot have experienced the benefits of being directed through a town or across a complex motorway interchange. Unless you have a super memory (unlikely as the years pass) I'll guess that your eyes are straying from the road looking at your map or notes - or you have to stop frequently to check the route. Driving alone on long distance cross country journeys map reading isn't too difficult but in built up areas with a myriad of alternate roads the sat nav cannot be beaten.

As for saying that you will never buy one, i recall people saying similar about colour tv, mobile phone, computers and even central heating. Give modern things a try - I'm convinced you'll see the benefits (even if you never admit it). Remember, the Victorians were suspicious of 'electrickery'

I would not be without my TomTom for many reasons including the POIs I have added, the speed camera warnings and, of course, the fact that using a map when alone is not easy. I particularly like the spoken route directions including the names of roads etc. And it's been said, if you go wrong it will re-calculate and sort things out!

However. ..............

I do NOT trust the TomTom to guide me on suitable roads with the caravan. I've never used the lorry variety and would expect better things but who knows! What I do is, I think, what many others do.

I check my route using google earth or google maps. If there are any difficult sections then I fire up Tyre and using google maps I construct an Itinery. I have found that named itineries created by Tyre have never let me down. I think the secret is to place waypoints frequently to stop TomTom diverting along a "short-cut". The accuracy of Tyre is fantastic - if you pop your waypoint on the wrong side of the road it knows and lets you know! When using the itineries I set TomTom to shortest route.

I guess all this is a lot of hassle but I quite enjoy route planning even down to street views to confirm suitability. Am I sad!

Edited by John_b_45

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

I have had a Tom Tom for a number of years. It's the original Classic which shows how old it is.

I regard it as a navigation aid to be used in conjunction with maps and the instructions given by the CC

I like it because it is a better navigator than the wife and doesn't get cross.

I regard it as a worthwhile investment as it saves the cost of a divorce.

Also with the PocketGPS speed camera data it gives verbal warnings of speed cameras.

poolebob

It only started being funny after I paid out £29 for a map update. I will contact El Plankos and see what they have to say

Bo

i,m having the same type of problems the road i wanted does not show up on the new maps purchased in july, but are on my old autoroute express system so on the phone on monday