Long Unit Markers In Spain

There have been several threads recently referring to these. The Caravan Club has an explanatory page which makes it quite clear that if the unit exceeds 12 metres then the boards must be displayed. Other posts have indicated that the Spanish Police are cracking down on those not displaying them.

Any outfit travelling to Spain that is over 12m in length must have one long or two small aluminium boards attached to the back. The aluminium boards must have a yellow centre with a red outline, be reflective, and comply with ECE70 standards

I assume that the unit length is not simply the caravan documented length plus the car documented length, as the towbar and ball also add length. (One could query as to whether the caravan length is with the caravan braking mechanism compressed or extended).

However the display of these boards in the UK could be illegal as they should only be displayed where:

A motor vehicle with a gross weight exceeding 7500kg.

A motor vehicle first used before 1 August 1982 and having an unladen weight exceeding 3000kg.

A trailer with a gross weight exceeding 3500kg.

A trailer manufactured before 1 August 1982 having an unladen weight exceeding 1000kg.

In France, they are only legal if the combined weight of your vehicles is in excess of 3,500kg.

Now that we are in a Europe sans frontieres, there is no border post and no-man's land between France and Spain. Where should we stop to attach the plates? I am assuming it is feasible to attach the plates while on a Spain bound ferry as they must be in place after embarkation but before disembarkation.

And how do we attach them quickly in such a way as they stay in place on rough roads but can be easily removed when crossing the border again, assuming they haven't been nicked.

And we thought the EU would bring harmony!

Answers on a postcard please

Edited by not so big john

Whatever happened to the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic ? http://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Traffic

The vehicle must meet all technical requirements to be legal for road use in the country of registration.

The Spainish police have been waiting to pouce and fining tourists in Motorhomes towing car trailers and with caravans for the last 4 yrs for not having warning markers but the Europeans come over here and are allowed to tow their ilegal over size ( in length but was width until our width limit changed ) German caravans on our roads because they are legal in the country of registration . If we have to comply to their laws then we should perhaps tighten ours . :angry:

Dave

The Spainish police have been waiting to pouce and fining tourists in Motorhomes towing car trailers and with caravans for the last 4 yrs for not having warning markers but the Europeans come over here and are allowed to tow their ilegal over size ( in length but was width until our width limit changed ) German caravans on our roads because they are legal in the country of registration . If we have to comply to their laws then we should perhaps tighten ours . :angry:

Dave

I agree, but we both know as a country we will do nothing.

kot

pigs

We have used them for the past three years now, I usually put them on at our last site in France, but I have alway taken them off when we ger home. I attach them with 4 blobs of IDL mastic tape each about 12mm x 12mm. When the law came out I asked the Explorer Group what to put them on with and they said, that when they did overseas testing they used the IDL mastic as it is easily removed and does not mark the van.

Sometimes the Spanish police have had a look at the back of the van when you cross the border and go through their toll booths, but not always.

The boards cost just under £10-00 a pair from Digraph Ltd who are commercial vehicle factors. The company suggested by the Caravan Club will ask you more than double that!

Whatever happened to the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic ? http://en. wikipedia. ...on_Road_Traffic

The vehicle must meet all technical requirements to be legal for road use in the country of registration.

Sadly, Spain has never ratified this. However, France has, hence we don't need the circular speed stickers there.

I have had an aluminium mounting plate manufactured. It is fixed to grab handles with thumb screws, i stop at last services before the border and attach it while i have a cuppa.

Quite expensive a little excessive may be but it works very well and looks quite good with its powder coated finish

I have attempted to add photo with no success

Sadly, Spain has never ratified this. However, France has, hence we don't need the circular speed stickers there.

It seems the Spanish have applied a derogation to these plates therefore they must have ratified the Vienna Convention

However the display of these boards in the UK could be illegal as they should only be displayed where:

A motor vehicle with a gross weight exceeding 7500kg.

A motor vehicle first used before 1 August 1982 and having an unladen weight exceeding 3000kg.

A trailer with a gross weight exceeding 3500kg.

A trailer manufactured before 1 August 1982 having an unladen weight exceeding 1000kg.

The regulations regarding rear markers state "ONLY exempt vehicles may have therm fitted optionally."

The list of exempt vehicles includes:

A trailer of maximum weight not exceeding 7500 kg

So they are legal in the U. K.

It seems the Spanish have applied a derogation to these plates therefore they must have ratified the Vienna Convention

This is rather confusing. The Wikipedia entry suggests that it has been signed but not ratified by Spain (like the UK. ...).

TBH I have no idea what effect this has. .....

This is rather confusing. The Wikipedia entry suggests that it has been signed but not ratified by Spain (like the UK. ...).

TBH I have no idea what effect this has. .....

Perhaps I should have stated "signed" not "ratified" but the Spanish can still derogate.

My outfit, hitched up, is bang on 12m, so I put them on at the services, near St Jean de Luz, just before the Spanish border. I took them off inside the ferry terminal in Santander before embarking.

I used some double sided tape and they stuck like **** to a blanket. To get them off I had a length of thin nylon cord and holding it in both hands, dragged it down between the back of the plates and the caravan. This helped free the plates without bending them. The residue came off the 'van by dabbing with some more sticky tape. The 'van had previously been glossed so that probably helped.

This was the first year I've had to use them. However the majority of the outfits at Santander, larger than mine, didn't have any marker boards whatsoever.