Sign in to follow this  
shefchap

How To Undo/refit Or Replace Alko Stabiliser Pads?

Anyone know how to remove the Alko pads to check them - and fit them back in again ?! Also, if needed, where to get replacements?

My 'van snaked a bit too much recently and it wasn't windy, and the 'van was sensibly loaded. I suspect that the stabiliser is not working as effectively as it should.

Thanks from someone who wishes to stay safe - any suggestions gratefully received.

Anyone know how to remove the Alko pads to check them - and fit them back in again ?! Also, if needed, where to get replacements?

My 'van snaked a bit too much recently and it wasn't windy, and the 'van was sensibly loaded. I suspect that the stabiliser is not working as effectively as it should.

Thanks from someone who wishes to stay safe - any suggestions gratefully received.

I know it doesn't let you look at the pads, but what I have done is spray brake cleaner up into the housing and give the pads a good rub with one of those green pot scourers wrapped around my finger then spray it again to wash out the dust. That dries the pads out a bit and roughens them up so it makes a noise for a while when towing but it soon wears in.

It is usually the side pads that require cleaning often, rather than the front and rear pads.

To remove the side pads on the Alko AKS3004 head:

Use a penknife or blade to remove the small red plugs either side of the head.

Insert a small screwdriver into the hole on each side when the plugs are removed until it sits on the stem of the pad and tap gently with a hammer when the pad should pop out. Dont hit too hard with the hammer or you may dislodge the "o" ring that secures it and prevent it being held in place when reinserted.

Clean the face with fine emery (or sandpaper if necessary). On removal, the face will probably be shiny which is accumulated dirt. When sanded it will be matt finish.

Clean with brake cleaner and dry off thoroughly.

Place each pad back in the hole inside the coupling head, one at a time, and it should "pop" back in with finger pressure.

Replace the red plugs.

I do this at the first sign of squeaking or creaking, which these days seems to be quite often. The difference after cleaning is very noticeable

A good place to buy replacements is E-Bay. I have recently bought replacements for £10 including postage (RRP £27).

Hi, should the stems on the side pads have any lube on them ? (say silicone spray ) as I have damaged the O rings taking them apart and re-assembling in the past :(

Luckily found some replacements in one of those bulk packs, but be careful the originals are thinner than a lot of samples.

I managed to get the whole four pads of *bay for about £17 some months ago, so worth a look.

Just had the 4 pads out to clean them on my caravan.

Followed instructions and applied small amount of multi grease to the side pads before re inserting them.

They took quite a bit of punching out but went back in easily.

The grease should allow much easier removal in future, but be careful to follow the instructions exactly because the grease must not be allowed anywhere near the pad surface

Just follow the link posted by Digga, you cant go wrong unless you don't have torx screwdrivers. Peter

Just follow the link posted by Digga, you cant go wrong unless you don't have torx screwdrivers. Peter

Peter.

Thanks for the screwdriver info. I'm planning on replacing my friction pads this winter, Hope 'I can't go wrong'.

Let me see: slot, phillips, pozidriv, . ...............

Gordon

If I can do it anyone can, but yes you definitely need a Torx screwdriver, the same size fits both screws.

The link is for adjustment as well as removal, I think the original question was about removal to clean up the glaze build up on the friction pads, adjustment with shims shouldn't be needed for 20k-30k miles at least.

Having said that the info given is useful to have in your armoury.

Yes but, the info given (having just checked ) is for the two side pads only, not the front and rear pads.

For these you have to remove the front red rubber docking pad. This is done by lifting up and over the pop up green button and then pulling over the ridges at the base.

You will then see a screw which has the Torx fitting, remove this and the front pad should fall out. Before you do all of this hold the green button up by using a spanner or pair of pliers to keep the button out of the way.

There is also the rear pad which is removed by using the same size Torx screwdriver, it is held in place by one screw. The pad is round (unless you have a AKS2004 in which case it is more rectangular.

Fitting them back is the reversal of removal and frankly much easier than I have managed to make it sound.

The full instructions are downloadable from the ALKO website too

Thanks everyone - most grateful.

Will follow your advice . ..........