Plastic Roof Caps Caravan

keithjl

Hi all

Just received four plastic roof caps to cover joints on the roof. Does anybody know an adhesive/sealant that

I can use?

thanks

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is a "roof cap", and why would you need four?

For general joint sealing I would recommend Sikaflex 512, but as I'm unclear what you want to seal, that may be the wrong advice.

Can you give a bit more information please?

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

the caravan is a swift challenger sr 2011 This new model has four moulded cover caps on joints on the four corners of the roof, the caps will cover the joint where the sealant is untidy. Hope this helps.

Thanks

There is an "exterior use" version of "No More Nails" available which I used to fix some UPVC threshold strips on an outbuilding, very good solid resuts I have to say, could be the answer possibly. (you will obviously need a mastic gun to put the tube into, you may have one, if not they are cheap and always useful !)

Cheers Mike R.

the caravan is a swift challenger sr 2011 This new model has four moulded cover caps on joints on the four corners of the roof, the caps will cover the joint where the sealant is untidy. Hope this helps.

Thanks

In that case Sikaflex 512 will be fine both to the seal the joint if needed, and to hold the trim covers in place. It is expensive though, so if the joint seals are good, then the above suggestion for "no more nails" would be fine to hold the cover caps in place.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I myself would certainly use Sikaflex as their 221 and 512 as been used in the caravan and commercial vehicle body building industries for years now, and so far to date (imho) no ones come up with anything better.

I would be a bit concerned about sticking strips on a caravan under Warranty especially over joints that could leak in the future . This could cause problems over the warranty with the manufacturer . If you want them applied I would get a approved fitter/Dealer to carry out the work that way any future problems will be covered . The adhesive that is used needs to be able of a type that will allow removal of the caps for any possible future work to the joint underneath .

Dave

Agree with Dave if it is a 2011 van and there are problems with the untidy sealant is this a Swift's repair idea if so get it done at dealers if not should again be sorted by your dealers.

Brian

Archived