Devon

Considering Devon for two weeks main holiday July 2012. (Prior to school holidays)

We would be travelling down from Thirsk to Newton Abbot. Around 330 miles, no kids to worry about only a daft Westie! What is the best way to tackle this long journey?

Is it possible to achieve in a single trip?

Is it a nightmare of a journey?

We are thinking about travelling around 180miles on the Saturday and having a overnight and continuing on the Sunday.

We both tow so share the driving.

Leaving through the night is not an option as we cannot get Caravan out of storage and we have nowhere to keep it at home prior to our trip.

So people what is your advice, how do you do it?

Edited by MEG55

It should be possible to do the whole journey in a day as it is motorway / dual carriageway all the way, A168, A1M, A1, M18, M1, A42/M42, M5, A38, A380. It depends on which day of the week you want to travel I always find a Sunday is a lot quieter especially if you can get going early.

ElBeardo :)

I agree with ElBeardo in general but I would suggested a slight change to his route, I would recommend that you take the M1 then M69/A46 to Tewkesbury, THEN join the M5 and carry on - It misses out all the problems than CAN happen around Birmingham and if you are looking for a stop on the way there are CL's just off the A46. it's a pretty good road and takes about the same time as the A42/M42 though it's slightly shorter.

hence: A168, A1M, A1, M18, M1 (J21),M69,M5, (the next bit depends whether you're after North or south Devon - I always prefer N. Devon as it's less crowded and prettier, but that's a personal opinion)J27 for the A361 N Devon or J31 for the A38 S Devon and the A30 for mid Devon and Cornwall .

The main thing about this trip is the "timing" of when you hit the M5 just above Bristol ( where our Southern friends join it from the M4!) In the Summer if I leave (Leicester J21 on the route) on a Sunday morning about 7am I will be in Woolacombe in less than 4 hours BUT if I leave at 9am it could take me 6 hours ( last time I came home on the M5 northbound I was looking at a queue southbound that had caused a 4 hour delay !!!)

ALSO Missing the Birmingham "business" traffic, NEC show traffic, Birmingham Airport traffic, Birmingham holiday traffic around the M42 (that's why I go A46).

All in all it's worth it though, Devon is a glorious county (Have a look at Morthoe near Woolacombe - lovely and my favourite place to holiday in England)

try and avoid the m5 from almondsbury to bridgewater between 09am and 3pm on a saturday and you should be ok

bill

I agree with ElBeardo in general but I would suggested a slight change to his route, I would recommend that you take the M1 then M69/A46 to Tewkesbury, THEN join the M5 and carry on - It misses out all the problems than CAN happen around Birmingham and if you are looking for a stop on the way there are CL's just off the A46. it's a pretty good road and takes about the same time as the A42/M42 though it's slightly shorter.

hence: A168, A1M, A1, M18, M1 (J21),M69,M5, (the next bit depends whether you're after North or south Devon - I always prefer N. Devon as it's less crowded and prettier, but that's a personal opinion)J27 for the A361 N Devon or J31 for the A38 S Devon and the A30 for mid Devon and Cornwall .

The main thing about this trip is the "timing" of when you hit the M5 just above Bristol ( where our Southern friends join it from the M4!) In the Summer if I leave (Leicester J21 on the route) on a Sunday morning about 7am I will be in Woolacombe in less than 4 hours BUT if I leave at 9am it could take me 6 hours ( last time I came home on the M5 northbound I was looking at a queue southbound that had caused a 4 hour delay !!!)

ALSO Missing the Birmingham "business" traffic, NEC show traffic, Birmingham Airport traffic, Birmingham holiday traffic around the M42 (that's why I go A46).

All in all it's worth it though, Devon is a glorious county (Have a look at Morthoe near Woolacombe - lovely and my favourite place to holiday in England)

Is it still advisable to avoid Birmingham area if I travel on a Saturday?

We travelled to Devon from Newcastle this summer travelling on a Saturday. We set of at 6. 30am and arrived on site at 3. 00pm staying at probably the best UK site we have stayed on Ross Park.

As for the travelling it on the whole was good with the exception to the approach to Bristol this was the same on the return journey.

We stopped half way (190 miles) for a break for about 45minutes to an hour.

The route we took was A1M/M18/M1/M42/M5 and A38 which was decided by the Sat Nav.

Edited by loothapub

Is it still advisable to avoid Birmingham area if I travel on a Saturday?

As Saturday's are the most popular for travelling on holidays anyway I always try to avoid them, especially when heading for the west Country ! ( I normally travel on Sundays -fewer lorries :) ) personally I would try to avoid the A42/M42 on a Saturday or a weekday except either early morning ( before 7am) and later in the evening. (after 6pm - I often go this way home if it's dark it's a slightly easier route and there tends to be limited traffic at that time of day)

Jim

It takes me about 3. 5hrs from south leicestershire to newton abbot where i used to live i use the M6, M42, M5, A38 appoaching newton abbot on the A382, and allways travel on sunday or thursdaysy. never saturday. On thursdays i usually live leicestershire about 0900hrs seem to miss all the traffic even the bottle neck at bristol dont ask me why. When we lived in newton abbot on saturdays we were virtual prisoners there due to holiday traffic trying to get to Torquay/Brixham from july till the end of august.