Using Free To Air Abroad

klyne

It seems that the BBC are changing BBC News and the Stream (red button) over to narrow beam which I take to mean that it will be broadcast on the same footprint as other FTA channels. Shame really as we have always been able to the get BBC News and the Streams further east but it looks as if this will no longer be possible. I appreciated that using a Sky Box will be different but I don't particularly want to go down that route. The links below explain in some detail.

http://www. bbc. co. uk. ..dsat_astra. html

http://www. bbc. co. uk. ..dsat_astra. html

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Cheers for that David,

I had to do some searching and rearranging on our Maplin FTA box, as i use it in the house, now i know why.

Some of the local BBC channels have dissapeared as well.

We had a similar situation in Scotland recently. I always use BBC News as my tune in channel and if I get that its only a whisker away for the other channels. So I was a bit surprised when I could get BBC 1 but no BBC News. A retune sorted the problem. This won't affect people going to the likes of France/Holland/Belgium and near Germany but those going a bit further East and South could well find they get no programmes unlike previously when at least you can usually get BBC News.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

If you have a Freesat or Sky box you won't have this problem as they update automatically.

I can't understand why people buy these FTA boxes when you can get a Freesat box from Argos for £25. 00. Separate dishes, complete with LNB and cable, can be got for less than £30. 00 on E. bay.

If you have a Freesat or Sky box you won't have this problem as they update automatically.

I can't understand why people buy these FTA boxes when you can get a Freesat box from Argos for £25. 00. Separate dishes, complete with LNB and cable, can be got for less than £30. 00 on E. bay.

It's called freedom of choice.

I like Marmite.

Each to his own on choice of equipment? I purchased my FTA reciever because it was very compact as I needed it to fit in a particular space in my van. Sky boxes are quite large and most of the Freesat boxes I have seen whilst smaller than the Sky Box are not as compact as I wanted. Also remember in the main my post was about loss of BBC News once outside the normal UK footprint which has previously not been the case.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

It's called freedom of choice.

I like Marmite.

Of course, but why buy something that is not so good.

Each to his own on choice of equipment? I purchased my FTA reciever because it was very compact as I needed it to fit in a particular space in my van. Sky boxes are quite large and most of the Freesat boxes I have seen whilst smaller than the Sky Box are not as compact as I wanted. Also remember in the main my post was about loss of BBC News once outside the normal UK footprint which has previously not been the case.

David

The latest Freesat boxes are quite small. I have a Humax Foxsat HD that is half the size of my Sky box. The difference in size between FTA and Freesat boxes is not that much.

Freesat works on 240v, where as my Maplins FTA works on 12v, not much good if you are in a field with no EHU.

You can get a Pace Sky box that operates on 12 volts. Best of all worlds.

Freesat works on 240v, where as my Maplins FTA works on 12v, not much good if you are in a field with no EHU.

Same here

There is no way that I am going to pay for sky.

Same here

There is no way that I am going to pay for sky.

You don't need to subscribe to Sky, just use it as a FTA box. If you want the extra few channels -Pick TV, Sky News, 5* , 5USA, - you can get a Freesat from Sky card for £25.

If you are referring to the Pace Javelin box then it has not been available for a long time and second-hand ones are a rarity but as a satellite receiver also requires a TV to be of any use then a 12 volt TV is also required!

But, in view of the low drain of both box and TV, a 12v - 230v inverter will do the job.

If you are referring to the Pace Javelin box then it has not been available for a long time and second-hand ones are a rarity but as a satellite receiver also requires a TV to be of any use then a 12 volt TV is also required!

But, in view of the low drain of both box and TV, a 12v - 230v inverter will do the job.

One assumes that he has a 12v TV if he has a 12v sat box.

I have seen a few 12v Pace boxes for sale on various sites.

• 3 weeks later...

The streams have moved to 11953. 5 MHz. There are only five, now, but I think they still show Motor sport and some football.

I have had to change my Sky digibox "Default Transponder" to (Sky News) 12207 V 27. 5 2. 3 because transponder 38 (BBC News) at 12441 V stopped working.

BBC World News (Middle East) in English is receivable from the BADR satellite on 12072. 72 MHz.