NippyNeil

I have a twin axle Bailey van with the Alko wheel locks supplied. I have found it is not easy to line up the receiver with the lock/spokes have you found this as well? I have given up trying to match both wheels! I did, for a while jack up the van and manualy rotate the wheels but it never settled down to it's previous level so I gave up on this idea

What do you do?

There is a cheat method mentioned in a few previous posts. ..do a search

After championing these for a good while, I've finally admitted defeat after a series of times with

of the valve ending up in the wrong place when parking up and not being able to

use the cheat method.

I may only use one now. If it gets nicked the ins comp's ask for the keys back, which

I can give them, very very doubtful that they could prove only one was fitted, that's

if it was ever recovered!

Ignore the above statement I will always use 2. ...You never know who reads this do you?

Right from the start I found it irritating even with a single axle, to line up. First I would find my spot, get the steadies down, then remember I hadn't lined up the wheel locks. ( You've NEVER done that have you?).

Although the idea is good, it lacks thinking it through. The Excalibur however, is much more user friendly because you don't have that problem. Might be better to sell the Lozenges on flea bay and buy a couple of Excaliburs if you have a twin axle.

In all honesty I don't see why in this day of technology why you have to go down on your hands and knees to jack up a caravan to fit a couple of wheel locks. . RANT OVER Peter :angry:

In all honesty I don't see why in this day of technology why you have to go down on your hands and knees to jack up a caravan to fit a couple of wheel locks
I don't now - hooray! Changed to a MH, so I now turn a key on the dash and the engine is imobilised. Press a button and it self levels, lifting the wheels off of the ground if necessary, and I then lock the jacks down. Now I hope the casual thief is unlikely to nick 7. 5 tonnes that's stood on four legs.

If you don't like kneeling to fit wheel locks, then maybe you could fit the Supermule if it is still available, and they have now found a way of locking it down.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Park the tin box on the pitch and level off side to side, jack the said tin box up whilst still on the tow ball take the hand brake off turn the wheel(s) so they are set for the lock(s ) fit the lock(s) apply the hand brake Chock the wheels on the other side so the tin box does not move too much when lowering the van back to the floor. Job done simplies

failing the above you can loan my four year old little girl who will show you how it is done or buy a motorhome. ;)

GT60, I did say that I didn't think we SHOULD have to do all this faffing about, I do know how to do it, it's just that on the odd occasion when I bring it back home I have restricted length to park and where I should put the wheellock is where the tyre valve is. Then I have no choice but to jack it up. Peter

So basically I think most people believe these infernal wheel locks are a pain!

As for your suggestion Gordon with regards to the SUPERMULE, I have neveer seen one fitted to any van, in fact I had never heard of such a very sensible and easy to use device, has anyone on CT ever had one fitted?

They are far too hard too align on a twin axle van, vastly overpriced and no more secure than many other wheel locks. The excalibur type is far easier too fit and far cheaper too buy. I use the bulldog disc type which i believe are no longer made. Both fit the same reciever.

peter.

Sorry can't agee that they are no safer than any other on the market.

Unless you have a gas axe they are very difficult to remove.

The excalibur is too thin and can be chain drilled round the lock. The ako is thicker making chain drilling more difficult.

I have read that the twin axles are difficult to fit but I have a single axle with mover so there isn't a problem.

Brian

I think alko wheel locks are a design sensation.

Easy to fit, very secure, light weight and portable with an insuance discount.

Would not be without one.

Simples

Brian

I have endured with this cr$p hitch lock all year. :o

Some times it goes on easy, sometimes for no apparent reason it doesn't. Thats on site were i can use the mover. ;)

At home as i park tight to a shed i have only a very low chance of getting the receiver lined up, 5 times out of a hundred i would think, its a case of jacking up the wheel. :(

But thats not the end of it, i have found that the wheel must be jacked to allow the wheel to align the receiver, but don't fit it while jacked up.

Why well when you lower the caravan, the rubber suspension (if you can call it suspension) compresses and the receiver moves slightly out of line, if the lock is in place it causes undesirable stresses to the wheel, and receiver. :wacko:

So the method i have adopted is to jack it up, rotate to the desired position, lower of and realign with the mover. Then fit the lock.

Conclusion:- its a load of rubbish.

Advantages = none, except for a insurance discount.

Are they secure? No my neighbor had his burnt off, they kindly left the clamp behind, they probably didn't realize it has SCRAP value.

Edited by xtrailman

Get an Excalibur and ditch the Alko. nowhere as much faffing about to get it to fit. ....I have seen many posts that state they attract the SAME insurance discount. ....transferrable between vans, can be put on the other wheel if you want . ....and much easier to fit. It dont matter what lock you have if they want your van they will take it.

Coachman Pastiche

If you can get your hands on a secondhand Bulldog Max you'll find it a lot easier to fit. Alko threatened an injunction to stop Bulldog from marketing this piece of kit, allegedly because it breached their patent of the system so production stopped not long after it started!

Why doesn't someone market a thick stainless sleeve to go over the receiver when fitting and foil the oxy/acet attack?

Why doesn't someone market a thick stainless sleeve to go over the receiver when fitting and foil the oxy/acet attack?

Alko have thought of that, there is a long, thick walled tube running down to the thread in the hub and the locking bolt protrudes through that into the hub.

I really think this alko wheel lock is a smart piece of kit.

The only thing I don't like about alko is the groaning pads in there 3004 hitch.

Brian

Because a oxylance can cut stainless steel

yes, but it needs alot more heat to cut through the stainless steel, therfore guaranteeing total destruction of your caravan and a payout from your insurer towards your next van!! :P

It's more about time required to jack and rotate the wheels than being awkward. It's not rocket science, but in gale force 5 wind and rain, it's transends to a bit of a pain in the behind.

I've found that if you can pitch with the front wheel / lock receiver lined up, you don't have to jack the van up too much to get the rear wheel aligned. On a few occasions, i've pitched and found BOTH wheels aligned! (but I didn't win the lottery :) )

Because a oxylance can cut stainless steel

Sorry chaps, stainless steel is non ferrous and can't be cut. There's at least 10. 5% chromium which prevents the reaction with the oxygen when the metal is heated above it's melting point. If the walls are thick enough to take the heat away the sleeve would also be impervious to a 'melt' attack or at least slow the theft down.

The common way to cut stainless is to use a (415v?) plasma cutter or simply by grinding with a cut-off wheel. If oxy/acet cuts the metal then it's not stainless or is of poor quality. This is why so many so called 'stainless' exhaust systems rust and fail. This would never happen with proper (eg 316) stainless.

Edited by limecc

ref:

http://www. ulearntod. ...jsp?FILE=steel

"The chromium in stainless steel has a great affinity for oxygen, and will form a film of chromium oxide on the surface of the steel at a molecular level. The film itself is about 130 Angstroms in thickness, one Angstrom being one millionth of one centimetre. This is like a tall building being protected from the rain with a roof the thickness of one sheet of ordinary copy paper. This layer is described as passive, tenacious and self-renewing. Passive means that it does not react with or influence other materials; tenacious means that it clings to the layer of steel and is not transferred elsewhere; self-renewing means that if damaged or forcibly removed, more chromium from the steel will be exposed to the air and form more chromium oxide. So, even if a stainless steel object withers away by use and reuse, it will still remain stainless".

Edit: A 415 volt supply for a Plasma cutter is hard to get out in the field, and due to space I don't think you'd even get a small 6" angle grinder in behind the wheel, so making a retro-fit sleeve or the entire receiver out of 300 series stainless would make the Alko lock almost undefeatable.

Edited by limecc