Fridge Vent Covers - What Are They For Please?

lottie

I have noticed various mentions of fridge vent covers on CT . I've never seen or heard of these before. Can someone tell me what they are for and how they are used please? Do I need them? My caravan handbook doesn't mention them.

We suffered, from fridge failure, we bought our van new in November 2009, went away for Christmas and Christmas Eve, we had runny Ice Cream and other items in the freezer compartment, called Dometic and got hold of possibly the only guy working, as it was past 12 noon. He said do you have covers fitted ? I said No. He said you need them when the temp falls below 8Deg, well it was well below that!! So I ended up putting heavy duty palastic (only thing available in the middle of a field and far from home) taped to the side wall leaving a small "vent" hole to allow the heat to dispel to both vents. After about 30 mins fridge started to get warm, and inside chilled as expected. After looking at the instructions, it was clear the advise was good.

What annoyed me was when I bought the van I told the dealer I would be away for Christmas, but they never gave any advise as to wheather I should have bought a couple of covers, as soon as I got home, I bought 2, and used them ever since without any problems.

I must admit, I had not suffered this before with my old 2002 Amara which had an Electrolux fridge fitted

It is advised to use the covers when the external temperature falls below 7 C - approx to prevent overcooling of the fridge.

Bo

Quote "Yes you do need them, they are for letting the heat and anything els that needs to find it way out of your caravan shell "

NO they are NOT!

They are to stop overcooling of the fridge in temperatures below 8 degrees C

Quote "Yes you do need them, they are for letting the heat and anything els that needs to find it way out of your caravan shell "

NO they are NOT!

They are to stop overcooling of the fridge in temperatures below 8 degrees C

Oh - yer a hard man Brecon - dead right - but a hard man.

I was in Brecon three weeks ago and did not have the time to go on the railway - gutted !!!

Bo

Also useful to leave on when the caravan isn't being used to stop debris entering the vents.

I've always had them supplied with my vans but many models seem to have them as an optional extra now.

Bill