Record Breaker

madatter

Just bought my friends caravan home from his seasonal pitch, its been there for 10 years and the caravan was born in 1994, we don't know if its the original battery but he hasn't bought one for it and hes had the van 11 years.

He as never run it on battery as its been on ehu all this time, he didn't even know if there was a battery till I checked.

We opened the door flicked the switch to battery and 2 hours later all off the lights are still on.

Got to be some sort off record?

I actually just posted a thred today about when is a battery classed as "old" as one of mine is a 2002 and one a 2004 so was expecting them to be a bit worse for wear but they still do the job - so far!! :)

Compass Shadow 1988

My 110ah exide leisure battery died earlier this year at 11 years :(

I bought the car battery about the same time & thats still ok (touch wood)

maybe I did something wrong to the caravan battery -_-

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Just bought my friends caravan home from his seasonal pitch, its been there for 10 years and the caravan was born in 1994, we don't know if its the original battery but he hasn't bought one for it and hes had the van 11 years.

He as never run it on battery as its been on ehu all this time, he didn't even know if there was a battery till I checked.

We opened the door flicked the switch to battery and 2 hours later all off the lights are still on.

Got to be some sort off record?

And you did'nt change the caravan's tyres before towing it?

Or have I missed something?

Regards.

Col

Col, you have no right in assuming Madatter didn't change the wheels. Sounds like just you trying to be 'holier than thou'

It's not nice. So give us all a break and stick to subject please.

There shouldn't be any 'one up man ship' on here, really not nice. Oh, and don't sign off 'Regards' unless you mean it !

Col, you have no right in assuming Madatter didn't change the wheels. Sounds like just you trying to be 'holier than thou'

It's not nice. So give us all a break and stick to subject please.

There shouldn't be any 'one up man ship' on here, really not nice. Oh, and don't sign off 'Regards' unless you mean it !

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Regards.

Col

And you did'nt change the caravan's tyres before towing it?

Or have I missed something?

Regards.

Col

I might have asked the same. ... in the same way. .. why are people getting so wound up!?

So I will ask the OP. ..

"Did you change the tyres/wheels before towing???"..

how is that any different to what Col asked????

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

G

I might have asked the same. ... in the same way. .. why are people getting so wound up!?

So I will ask the OP. ..

"Did you change the tyres/wheels before towing???"..

how is that any different to what Col asked????

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

G

thats a polite question not a smug statement

It is not up to anyone else to police the actions of others, either on here or in real life (well except the officers.) If he towed the van with old tyres then that is his responsibility and nothing to do with anyone else.

No doubt some people will say 'well he better not do it near me' or 'think of the other road users' but the van was at point 'A', it is now at point 'B' and no one got hurt.

I certainly hope he checked the brakes, wheelbearings and lights too. :rolleyes::P lol

Why would I what to change the wheels, tyres? new ones were fitted in 2006 and they look OK. As far as I remember its only a recommendation that you change them ever 4 to 5 years.

Why would I what to change the wheels, tyres? new ones were fitted in 2006 and they look OK. As far as I remember its only a recommendation that you change them ever 4 to 5 years.

It is a recommendation tyres are changes every 4/5 years,that is correct but if the caravan has not moved since the tyres were fitted then they will be flatspotted. Did the owner have the wheels off the ground or rotate them regularly? If he did then it is not a problem,otherwise commonsense says the tyres should be renewed. Contrary to other posters who think I'm having a go at you,I'm not. I merely highlight the inherent danger of towing a 'van on old/flatspotted tyres and as the previous poster asked; did you check the braking system and road lights as well before you set off?

As an anology,park your car on a field for 5+ years and then say you will drive it off before carrying out basic safety checks?

You would'nt and neither will anyone else.

You offered to tow your friends caravan home and that is a nice gesture and I only hope your journey was troublefree.

Regards.

Col

Archived