Living In A Tourer.... Fitting Macerator To Thetford C2 Toilet

norfolkguyuk

Hey Guys,

I moved in to my ABI Globetrotter a month ago, and so far its excellent, I'm on a site that provides the basics but no shower or toilet facilities.

I'm thinking of fitting a macerator unit to my waste carrier for the C2 toilet, and then I can simply fit a hosepipe and pump the toilet out, rather than lugging the cassette over to the waste empty area and get my hands messy etc. .. (Sounds lovely eh!)

The plan is to buy a new cassette, and fit the macerator unit inside it.

Has anyone converted a touring toilet to be like a motorhome. .. At the moment I only have about 20L, where as my parents (Who have a huge american motorhome) have about 75-100L of waste tank. ...

I could buy a large waste tank, but then I cant just put it on the bottom of the van lol. ..

What would you do? (Other than move site to somewhere with toilet lol)....

It sounds interesting, do you have a macerator in mind?

I'd like to see one. I have a new (three trips) cassette

the Emptying seems like the most difficult part.

Have a word with http://www. caktanks. co. uk/

I know that using a macerator in a van is different to one in situ in an office for 8 people but, we have had loads of smelly. leaky problems with ours at work - they do not tolerate toilet paper too well and definitely nothing stronger and thicker! Good luck.

I hate to say it, but I think it's a bit of a non-starter. The cassette holding tank I believe will be too small to place a macerator inside, but maybe one of the portable units may be semi-permanently connected, though where you fit the release valve would need some careful consideration. My concern would be that there is probably not enough liquid volume in the cassette to fully flush the system through, as the waste pipe alone could hold 20 litres if it's a long run, before starting to discharge into the drain itself. Also on our RV, we use the grey waste to flush through the pipe after discharging the black water, and I don't know if that would be an option with your tourer. I think your best solution may be to simply site your caravan a bit nearer to a manhole.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Thing is, I know that a replacement macerator for my parents motorhome is about £300 - imported from the US. ..

I've been looking at similar macerators, obviously based on 12v, 1. 5" inlet - 1" outlet. .. these are run dry ones too, for about £100 direct from the UK. ..

As nasty as this sounds. ... will a 1. 5" inlet be enough to suck and clear the loo lol. .. If for example you are emptying the toilet once a week (or once a month in my parents case) then the chemicals have done their stuff and broken it all down to fluid/sludge. .. but if you are emptying 2 or 3 times a week im wondering how "solid" everything still is and if the pump will be able to clear it. ..

Also, the other concern is that the waste cassette is flat on the bottom and not even angled on a slight slope, so I'm not 100% sure that this will clear - I really dont want to simply pump the fluid out and leave the solid, as a 20L container of solid waste will not be so great. ..

Hmmmm, I think I may need to look at fitting a totally different waste tank somewhere. ... The only options I may have are under the rear seats (which is now my fixed bed)... As with all seats they are hollow and so I could fit a new tank there but the problem still remains. .. how can I shift the waste from waste container 1, to waste container 2. ... to then blow it all out of a hosepipe. ....

If the caravan is not going to be moved, have you considered dispensing with the standard cassette holding tank, and making a large diameter hole through the caravan floor to carry a pipe directly to a large (CAK?) holding tank below the caravan? This would need to be sealed to eliminate smells and be large enough to be pumped out less frequently. That would work in the summer months, but I would not wish to trust it in freezing conditions. Personally I still think it's a lot of work for little benefit and you would do best to retain the standard system, and just accept that you'll have to empty it a couple of times a week.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

do they still make a long drop toilet, the only problem would be stopping the smell

bill

I know that using a macerator in a van is different to one in situ in an office for 8 people but, we have had loads of smelly. leaky problems with ours at work - they do not tolerate toilet paper too well and definitely nothing stronger and thicker! Good luck.

Front page of the "Daily Mirror" is out then?? :rolleyes:

Mike R

Front page of the "Daily Mirror" is out then?? :rolleyes:

Mike R

Most definitely! I wonder if that was the cause of our problems at work - one of the lads tend have a tendancy to take the paper with him to the loo! lol.

• 7 months later...

Yeah, good luck with that! :-)