Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Playing it safe by fitting an alarm in caravan, but unsure of the best position for it,should it be high or low in the van, near a gas source ie. fire, fridge, water heater,or just central in the caravan, other members suggestions greatly appreciated

In a house they are currently fitted by British Gas above a boiler, or on the outside of the boiler cupboard. ... (At least this is what I was told when the boiler was serviced etc)

In my van I have it installed above my wardrobe (centre of the van, but close to my fixed bed).

Read the instructions first off! I think you

would find that about knee height is good

or it should detect and sound an alarm

before it reaches a sleepers face.

Be aware of things like heating vents and

air currents that would lift carbon monoxide

to the detector and give false alarms

Our caravan alarm said to fit it within 1 metre of the appliance about six inches above the height

Our caravan alarm said to fit it within 1 metre of the appliance about six inches above the height

Carbon Monoxide is very slightly lighter than air. It moves very very well and will quickly fill the space of a caravan.

However due to the fact that it is produced by heating appliances it tends to rise with the hot

air.

Head height is fine within the vicinity of an appliance but as your caravan is full of gas appliances just stick it wherever is most convenient but where it is at head height.

The most important thing is to fit it to the instructions, they are all slightly different. But they should be high up because the CO is lighter than air so will rise. Some alarms state how far from the ceiling they should be and how far away from the appliance they should be.

They will also say about keeping them away from doors and windows etc which could be a little difficult in a caravan.

I am a gas safe engineer and I would urge everyone to have a CO alarm in their home and caravan, too many people still die from CO every year.

Carbonmonoxide (Co) is slightly lighter than air, and also often found with warm, rising air. Detectors should therefore be placed on a wall around head height. They may also be sited on the ceiling, but never directly above a fire or boiler.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Hi All,

our new coachman Amara has ( looking at demo model at dealers ) a Co2 alarm fitted under the cocktail cabinet, fitted by coachman i might add. Is it now a requirment to have them fitted or is it Coachman stealing a march on other makers ?

regards to all david 1220

CO2 is Carbon Dioxide which is 1. 5 times heavier than air and will therefore fill an enclosed space from the floor upwards.

CO is Carbon Monoxide - I've bought a CO detector this week from reading this forum. Already have a smoke alarm but suspect a CO detector is quite different from a smoke detector. I want to protect us when we have the fire on low all night - very rare but we may do it on a CL in winter.

Edited by WispMan

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Do not confuse CO2 with CO.

Carbondioxide (CO2) has a weight of 44. 01, which is similar to Propane (C3H8) at 44. 096, & is heavier than air.

Carbonmonoxide (CO) has a weight of 28. 01 (one carbon atom (12. 01) plus one oxygen atom (16)) & is lighter than air.

Dry air comprises a mixture of gasses with a combined weight of 28. 97. (N2, O2, CO2, H, Ar, He, Ne, Kr, & Xe)

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

All the new Swifts seem to have them fitted around eye level somewhere near the door.

The instructions on mine (bought separately) say to site it around sleeping height and at least 1m from any potential gas source.

Hmmm. ..

Hi All,

our new coachman Amara has ( looking at demo model at dealers ) a Co2 alarm fitted under the cocktail cabinet, fitted by coachman i might add. Is it now a requirment to have them fitted or is it Coachman stealing a march on other makers ?

regards to all david 1220

Read the instructions first off! I think you

would find that about knee height is good

or it should detect and sound an alarm

before it reaches a sleepers face.

Be aware of things like heating vents and

air currents that would lift carbon monoxide

to the detector and give false alarms

NO

as said in this thread its lighter than air so by the time it fills to knee height it could be fatal. High up is best.

Coachman Pastiche tugged by Mazda CX-7, Wine supplied by Sainsburys & sunday Times wine Club.

Tesco currently have on offer at a whopping £7. 50 smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. ....

Shame i paid the full price at the beginning of the year for ours. .... But might invest in a spare set for my elderly mother. ....

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

The Kidde one we have just bought to fit in the van clearly states fit at eye level, not directly above a 'device' and at least 1 metre from them. I await to see where Bailey fit them to the 2012 models where I believe they are now mandatory.

However I assume they will be fitting a combined smoke and CO device and they have different requirements.

Dave

Edited by caraman1