Noseweight

frazerg

Hi All,

If noseweight is so important,which we believe it is,why doesn't any manufacturer include it the spec before purchase or in the handbook for future customers ?

When we purchased our Lunar Ultima we had to phone Lunar to ask what the noseweight was as our Kia

Sportage can only take 75kgs. They informed us it was 50kgs out of the factory but the battery and mover would affect this figure upwards. I know they probably don't have to supply it legally but something as important as this should be included.

Chris&Frazer

If noseweight is so important,which we believe it is,why doesn't any manufacturer include it the spec before purchase or in the handbook for future customers ?
Many used to, but I believe the practice was stopped as each individual caravan has a slightly different noseweight when leaving the factory, and in this day and age, where litigation is common, they would probably be liable if the quoted figure did not match exactly. It's a brave new world - Not.

I still believe they could all give a maximum figure as Elddis do, and could also design caravans that do not exceed the hitch rating of many towcars, but that's another argument.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

When we purchased our Lunar Ultima we had to phone Lunar to ask what the noseweight was as our Kia

Sportage can only take 75kgs.

To help others reading this what noseweight did you finish up at in the end?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Hi All,

Sportage can only take 75kgs. They informed us it was 50kgs out of the factory but the battery and mover would affect this figure upwards. I know they probably don't have to supply it legally but something as important as this should be included.

Chris&Frazer

Hi C&F. I believe that the issue of nose weight is being misunderstood/misapplied. They are not what you should attain,but the maximum recommended for each individual caravan.

The Explorer Group do publish a MAXIMUM Hitch Weight across their ranges. In the 2011 brochures they range from 100kgs for the Xplore 302 up-to 150kgs for the bigger stuff including both Single & Twin Axle vans.

The deciding factor is the maximum permitted weight on the Tow-vehicle/Tow-bar or whichever is the lesser.

Our 2001 Elddis Crusader SuperSirocco has a maximum of 100kgs but the Volvo's that I have are 75kgs as are the both tow-bars.

The caravan runs perfectly stable and straight at 75kgs but it does have an Al-Ko 2004 stabiliser fitted as a belt and braces job.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

You are never going to use the caravan as it is when it leaves the factory so it is fairly pointless for them to publish a figure as it will change greatly in use.

That said, it would be a bit silly to buy a new van with 120 kg on the nose when your car can only take 70kg

My van has a loo and kitchen accross the back so if I fill up the loo flush and put some tins in th cupboards my nose weight goes down 20kg.

What a great idea. Water ballast. :wacko:

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

My van has a loo and kitchen accross the back so if I fill up the loo flush and put some tins in th cupboards my nose weight goes down 20kg.

and presumably your chances of snaking go up accordingly!

Hi LHD,

You maybe sorry you asked what the nose weight turned out to be when we tell you the tale of our noseweight.

We bought a Alko noseweight gauge built into the jockey wheel for our old Swift caravan and used to get it to

75kgs and checked it once against our bathroom scales which read the same within a couple of kgs. When we

bought our Lunar Ultima i swapped the alko noseweight gauge over once we got it home and to our surprise found

it to be reading 70kgs. Obviously we couldn't put much in the front locker and tended to put most in the underbed

locker under the fixed bed but as close as possible to the axle. On reading on the forum that we should check the

actual weight of the caravan against MTTPLM we bought a Reich caravan weigher which also allows noseweight

to be measured. This only read 50kgs noseweight again checked with bathroom scales and this was about a couple of kgs

out with the alko gauge still showing 75kgs. On our last trip we went with what the reich said and got it to 75kgs with

much more in the front locker. On the road it seemed much more stable as before it always felt there was too much

pitching front to back for comfort.

Sorry its a long tale but its quite complicated to relate

Thanks

Chris&Frazer

What a great idea. Water ballast. :wacko:

I have been carrying a 7litre water container in the caravan for some years now and for when it is filled and to stop it sliding around I use one of those Anti-Slip silicone mats where it is placed.

It is used like the old fashioned way of balancing scales,sliding the counter-weight to trim the nose to the 75kgs that the car requires.

It is a dammed sight easier & quicker than mauling the contents around.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Archived