Avondale Custom Perle Olympus

gerard34

hi i have a Avondale custom perle olympus 4/5 berth touring caravan 1992

does anyone eles have one and what do you think off them?

Our first Avondale caravan was a 1988 Perle Olympus Custom DD6, and was probably the caravan that we had some of our best holidays in. We joined what was then the Perle Leda Owners' Caravan Club (later to be renamed AAOCC), and towed extensively around the UK to attend their many rallies. We also took the caravan to parts of France and Switzerland.

The balance of the caravan was just about perfect, having all of the heavy furniture positioned over the axle, and only beds at the two ends. The spare wheel, originally in the centre of the front locker, was relocated to one side, and the two gas cylinders were then placed at the other side, thus leaving the centre area clear to carry the Aquaroll, wheel jack, and assorted wooden levelling blocks. With this arrangement the noseweight was just on 100Kgs. The battery was located in a TP2 battery box/charger that stood in the base of the wardrobe, and was vented through the caravan floor. The porta-potti was always moved adjacent to the wheel arch under the sink for travel, where it was unable to slide around.

The caravan provided three double beds in a 14' 6" body length, which is pretty good by anyone's standards. Before our daughter was born, we tended to leave the lower rear double set up, and live in the front of the caravan during the day, however once we needed to accommodate a cot, after removing the cushions, this was placed on one of the short rear side seats, and secured against the support bar for the upper bunk, and the seat cushions placed on the floor between the two seats.

By 1992 the Olympus had changed considerably from the one we had. Although the basic layout was the same, the front storage locker had gone, the spare wheel was housed under the floor, there was a dedicated gas locker set in the side of the caravan, and now there was a hot water system. The loo compartment also boasted a shower and installed cassette toilet.

Gordon.

Outfit 1988a.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Gordon. The spare wheel is in a the front store along with battery and the gas. It has no shower or hot water. I like this wee caravan its very comfortable and easy towed. This is our first caravan and wee only towed it 4 times around Ireland. It has a built in electric heater that is good.

I think I would be inclined to relocate the battery, probably in a dedicated battery box under a bed, and vented to the outside, but certainly well away from the gas cylinders at the front.

Do that that, and I am sure your Olympus will reward you with many happy holidays.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

• 5 months later...

i have one of these but mine is a work in progress well i think that swhat it is it has it wrote on it but mine has a double at either end and then a double bunk above at the rear near the door does this sound right ? heard on here that gordon knows all about avondale caravans :) any help is greatly received

mine has a double at either end and then a double bunk above at the rear near the door does this sound right ?
Hi John,

That sounds correct for the DD6 model. The upper rear double comprises two single bed bases set side by side, and supported by two removable wooden spars that span the two rear side windows.

The DD5 model was identical in all detail, except that only one single bunk was supplied to locate above the rear (lower) double.

Gordon.

Their is loads if work needs doing to ours but its cos their is me the wife and our 4the little girls that it is perfect for us having all the sleeping space it does, think it was used a site caravan for a while as their is just some strange stuff going on with the wiring and has a horrible box on the front were the battery has now been put with the gas so will be moving that as the one in ur oic looks so much nicer without the horrible box, is this standard ir has it been added?

The van in ur pic looks like it has a locker in the front mine hasn't is it common that the fronts would be different? Sorry for all the questions lol

The van in ur pic looks like it has a locker in the front mine hasn't is it common that the fronts would be different? Sorry for all the questions lol
The caravan picture I posted is of a 1988 Perle Olympus DD6 Custom. The front locker was dropped from the Perle range in 1992 in favour of two separate side lockers dedicated to gas and battery. The front locker was only reintroduced when the Perle range was superseded by the Dart range of caravans in 1998, although this locker was not large enough to hold a standard gas cylinder as the dedicated side locker was still employed.

I hope that is some help,

Gordon.

The earlier Perles had a detachable gas locker mounted directly to the A-Frame, and the lockers were not incorperated into the caravan body until 1987.

Gordon.

wooooo mine must be older than 1987 lol its has the gas looker on the front it get older everytime i find soemthing out about it but still love it he he well if i can sort it out

• 9 months later...

hi i have 1 of these i wonder if any of you could help me!

do u know what size the tyres are for these caravans,as mine is down devon and need to get it back just need to know and does anybody know the rims how many bolt holes they have is it 4 or 5 ?thanks x