Direction Of Aerial ?

Ok folks help me here with a bit of a blonde question . ...

Which way do I position the TV arial when towing ? . .. its on a Bailey Pegasus caravan it the triangle shaped one (if that makes sense)

I position it pointed front towards front of van (& translating the instrutions that seems correct) but my father in law (who has been caravanning for years) tells me it should go the other way round as the bigger over hang is towards back of van and hense reducing lift ???

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pointy end to rear for me.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

your father in law is right and for the right reason. Longer overhang, pointy end aft reduces the bending stresses when its buffeted by the turbulent slipstream during towing.

But many tow with it the wrong way which indicates at least in early life its strong enough to cope; in later life that could change.

Edited by JTQ

I have the same ariel on my Orion. There's a red spot ot the bottom of the shaft (inside the cupboard) and the handbook states this must be to the front when towing.

With the red spot to the front the pointed end of the ariel faces forward.

I have the same ariel on my Orion. There's a red spot ot the bottom of the shaft (inside the cupboard) and the handbook states this must be to the front when towing.

With the red spot to the front the pointed end of the ariel faces forward.

That's what i say

Spot should point to the rear of the caravan.

That's what dad in law say's

My theory was pointy end into wind . ....

glad i got you all thinking . ..... thanks for the reply's :rolleyes:

http://www. snellyvis. ..-/prod_137. html

This website invites a question about the product. B)

Score 3-1 at the moment? :P

Edited by Lefthand Down

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

The Bailey manual states " When travelling adjust the antenna so that it points to the rear of the vehicle to reduce the possibility off damage when travelling." "The red spot on the bottom of the mast indicates the front of the antenna".

So the pointed end faces towards the rear of the caravan, having it placed the other way round would put undue force and leverage on the roof support.

Alan

The Bailey manual states " When travelling adjust the antenna so that it points to the rear of the vehicle to reduce the possibility off damage when travelling." "The red spot on the bottom of the mast indicates the front of the antenna".

So the pointed end faces towards the rear of the caravan, having it placed the other way round would put undue force and leverage on the roof support.

Alan

Correct, I misread the manual :rolleyes:

Really doesn't matter. On our last van instructions said forwards and on this one back! The blade is not an aerofoil so lift is not generated.

Point towards the back to reduce drag - this means less wind resistance on the mounting assembly, how ever minimal it might be.

With the point into the wind, there will be more drag.

Bo

The more important issue is to remember to pull the aerial down of course. Unfortunately I have seen so many caravanners pulling in to services with their aerial still up, just this last couple of years !!

On a recent long drive back here from the UK I kept myself awake by watching the caravans I passed and more importantly counting the number of vans with their aerials pointing the wrong way of which approximately 75% were in error.

As has been written here on CT so many times, the long overhang should always point to the back of the caravan.

Oh and don't forget to get your wheels balanced.

On a recent long drive back here from the UK I kept myself awake by watching the caravans I passed and more importantly counting the number of vans with their aerials pointing the wrong way of which approximately 75% were in error.

As has been written here on CT so many times, the long overhang should always point to the back of the caravan.

Because it looks so ***** funny for those of you who don't lower your aerial and have it the wrong way round. Can you imagine the vibration badly balanced wheels can cause. It looks as though they've got a woodpecker on the roof.

( Sorry Phil ) Catch ya later,indoors.

AND the valves. :o

The more important issue is to remember to pull the aerial down of course. Unfortunately I have seen so many caravanners pulling in to services with their aerial still up, just this last couple of years !!

A pretowing check list on the wall inside the door would help everyone.

Just been out to the caravan and changed the ariel so that it points backwards.

Doesn't look right to me though but we'll see how it goes.

Maybe I'll get a couple of extra miles per gallon and better roadholding with the additional downforce :D

I must have read things wrong as well. I have it point forward.

I also seem to recall that the pull out chrome bits are only for use abroad

or I am wrong with that as well. ..would extending them help radio reception?

No, those are the rotors. If you spin the ariel fast enough you can get the caravan to hover off the ground :P

The extendables are only for abroad.

In Uk, the radio signal is usually transmitted from the TV aerial you have your aerial pointed at - hence no need for the extendables.

No, those are the rotors. If you spin the ariel fast enough you can get the caravan to hover off the ground :P

No no no. I tried that and the CAA fined me for low flying.

That'll save diesel then!

thought you weren't supposed to travel with someone in the van?

Edited by david23d

The extendables are only for abroad.

In Uk, the radio signal is usually transmitted from the TV aerial you have your aerial pointed at - hence no need for the extendables.

The extending bits allow VHF frequency reception or so it's claimed. .. for TV that's only of use abroad (including the Republic of Ireland). IF the Status is connected to a VHF/FM radio then they may be some use for VHF/FM radio as well.

Unfortunately many smaller radio stations in the UK are Vp (don't try that with the Status and rods extended!) and FM radio in the UK very often comes from a site like Wrotham, Peterborough and Holme Moss that are not used for TV transmissions so the aerial may well be pointing the wrong way. [Freeview does have a number of radio stations that can be heard through the TV, of course]

Many caravan radios have a separate radio aerial (so that the AM works as well as the FM) - on my separate radio aerial the (too) short telescopic rod must be extended for it to work at all.

Interesting discussion. Almost every new van I have seen on dealer forecourts has the arial pointy bit forwards ! Guess Bailey disregard thier own advice then :)

Is there an easy / secret way to extend them or at 5ft 2" should I be taking a fully extendable ladder to climb on the roof ???

Interesting discussion. Almost every new van I have seen on dealer forecourts has the arial pointy bit forwards !

Not only Bailey. Took deleivery of my new van last week and ploughing through the manuals discovered the above information about the red dot indicating front for the aerial. ..guess which way it faced as I drove home? I'll be rotating it in the morning! :angry: