Looking For Advice / Views On The Next Tow Car ....

digga

I don't have endless amounts of money to spend, so i'll not be looking at the 'newer' models. I like estate type cars ( useful for runs to the tip :) ) and i'm not totally against 4x4 but would prefer selectable

2WD / 4WD . A sequential type box would be nice -- so what is there in the market place??

Suppose i ought to mention that i am looking at tugging a new Bailey Valencia with power in reserve ;)

Thanks

I would recommend a Vauxhall Insignia 2. 0 CDTI 4x4 Tourer.

Kerbweight best circa 1760 kg. I get 50 mpg solo on a run and 30 mpg towing a twin axle Swift Charisma 650.

Hope this helps

Spence

have a look on the www. hyundai. co. uk website at used Santa Fe models. put your post code in - there are quite a lot available within reach of Leicester and you can specify the price range and other details of what you require. you can select 4wd if needed. HTH

If you want an estate 4 wheel drive rather than a 4x4, the obvious contenders are subaru (probably not heavy enough), Vx Insignia, Volvo XC70, Skoda (Probably not heavy enough), passat 4-motion, audi allroad

Edited by A11

If you are looking to not throw lots of money at travel then mpg is the main thing to look at (assuming you are doing normal milage)

You can get a big diesel estate (Merc E class for example) that will return 55 mpg not towing (so most of the time) which will cost about £1400 per year in fuel for average 12k milage.

Switch to a 4x4 and then throw in petrol and you can be on 20mpg or 30mpg. So that doubles your fuel bill, year in year out. Keep the car for five years and that is 7 grand!

Generally a low sitting big estate will give much better return than a high sitting mpv 4x4 or generally chunky lump of car. One should be found that will suit the towing needs without paying too much of a penalty at the pumps. The optinal 4wd's still are bad on economy simply down to their shape, weight and setup.