Alarm On 2011 Pastiche

Barry the Wing

Hi all,

I recently purchased a new 2011 Pastiche 460/2 and about every 30-40 minutes a beep sound can be heard which i persume is the alarm even though it is not turned on. Anybody any ideas?

Regards,

Barry.

Barry

Your alarm unit is fitted at the front of the van under the offside bunk. Your alarm has a rechargeable battery built into the unit and this battery takes it's charge from the main caravan battery when the mains is not connected but only if the caravan master switch is on. Is your caravan battery fully charged or have you isolated the master switch, because it seems as if your alarm battery is low and giving a warning bleep. Also, when you turn the mains master switch off in the van above the door you will also hear after a few seconds a few bleeps from the alarm unit and this then means you are purely running on the alarm battery which will eventually discharge.

Alan

I would give Sargent a call, (number on the top of the alarm), they are very helpful, I have had personal dealings with them with problems I had with my alarm. But first take the cover off (10mm bolt and 4off screws) and you will see the battery tray, on the top of the plate, you will see a switch, make sure this is set to on (1).

Alan, I believe the power to the alarm battery, comes direct from leisure battery irrespective of the master caravan switch being in the off position, I had to do some tests for Sargent some months ago, before they sent me a new alarm thats how I found out.

See this link http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/43178-sargent-stinger-310-alarm-problem/page__fromsearch__1

Added my test results to show power consumption from Leisure battery

Readings I got from my tests show:

When set as in storage (no Hook Up)

Master 12v switch on Control Panel switched off and all fuses in the Consumer Unit (with the exception of the Caravan Battery and Alarm) were found to read 0. 00amps

The Caravan Battery fuse showed a reading of 0. 02amps, when alarm was set to “on” the reading rose to 2. 56amps, and then settled to 0. 06amps, then dropped approx 30seconds to 0. 00amps.

Still with the Caravan Battery fuse connected, the Master 12v switch was turned on and with the alarm set “on” the readings were 0. 15amps.

The Alarm Fuse was then connected with Master 12v switch in the “off” position when the alarm was activated the readings were 0. 06amps which then dropped to 0. 00amps after approx 30 seconds.

Paul

As you are aware the Sargeant manual states "The STINGER 310 system unit uses a special 4. 8 volt Nickel Metal Hydride battery pack that supplies backup battery power to the system should the supply from the leisure battery fail or be disconnected.

It is recommended that the alarm system is permanently connected to a 12 volt supply. When fully

charged the battery will provide approximately 6 months stand-alone operation, depending on

temperature conditions."

When you switch the master switch off on the panel above the door I believe it isolates most, if not all 12 volt internal supplies and possibly the one to the alarm unit. Why would the alarm unit make that noise when you either switch off/switch on the master switch?

Alan

Why would the alarm unit make that noise when you either switch off/switch on the master switch?

Alan

Alan,

Not quite sure, If I remember rightly, the alarm takes a feed direct from van battery, I would be getting in touch with Sargent, as going through a dealer would take ages as they would have to contact them anyway, so talking direct to them speeds up getting a result, with my problem I let the dealer know the outcome so they could update their records, I also copied Trevor Baxter at coachman.

Paul

Hi All,

Thank you for all your replies I will contact Sargent to see if they can solve the problems.

Heading to the NEC show on Thursday any other Coachman owners going the same day. We are coming over on Wednesday early ferry and staying in North Wales on a site and travelling down by train on Thursday morning.

Regards,

Barry.

Hi all,

I recently purchased a new 2011 Pastiche 460/2 and about every 30-40 minutes a beep sound can be heard which i persume is the alarm even though it is not turned on. Anybody any ideas?

Regards,

Barry.

Its entirely normal and is a low (alarm battery) indicator. When you turn the master switch on/off you should hear a set of beeps indicating power to the alarm. Check your remote is programmed correctly as well.

The master switch above the door does isolate the alarm from the caravan battery so it will drain it over time. I use a small solar panel to sort it.

Jt

Edited by JTS

Coachman Pastiche

• 4 weeks later...

Its entirely normal and is a low (alarm battery) indicator. When you turn the master switch on/off you should hear a set of beeps indicating power to the alarm. Check your remote is programmed correctly as well.

The master switch above the door does isolate the alarm from the caravan battery so it will drain it over time. I use a small solar panel to sort it.

Jt

JT

Sorry to say, that your information given is incorrect.

I have been in touch with BCA who make the 12V and 240V systems for Coachman and most of the caravan industry, I have included below our correspondance:

Hello Gordon/Dean,

I would like to ask you a question regarding the 12v system in my 2010 Coachman Pastiche.

If I switch the main 12v switch off at the panel above the door, will the alarm still take current from the caravan leisure battery,

instead of its onboard battery? Or will it only take power from its own battery?

Many thanks for your anticipated reply.

Paul

Paul the alarm is connected direct to the leisure battery and is not effected by the main 12v master switch

Regards

Gordon

Sent from my iPhone

Indeed the alarm does take power from the main battery independant of the master switch above the door. I have found that over a periodf of about 8 weeks, this depletes the power in the main caravan battery so much that it no longer has the power to run my motor mover. Drat!

If you remove the 15A fuse from the fusebox (main fuse) it doesn't do this and the main batter remains available for use!

It seems that the alarm and caravan makers forget that many owners do not have mains supply where they store their vans and don't have sufficient life in their 'back up' batteries for prolonged non use of the van.

I note that someone has added a solar PV system to their van to overcome this problem. I may do this too. In fact, seeing as PV arrays are so common now, why aren't they fitted as standard to van roofs.

Tony