Nowt Better To Do?

david23d

Now I know this may be stretching the point a bit for this part of the forum, but I was towing at the time!

Got pulled over by the traffic police in the Sunderland area, blues going the whole bit, eventually found somewhere to pull outfit into that I considered safe, not fun being tailed by blue lights!

Well mannered young policeman came over, I got out of car, and informed me that I had illegal plates on my car and van, said they had been told to have a blitz on such things.

I asked him how they were illegal and he said they were too short. ...I have 3 letters and 2 numbers on a plate that I got years ago from a car I bought in Ireland and kept the plates, transferring them every time.

I told him that they were legal, exact spacing and font and asked him to show me where it says they are too short.

He grumped back to his car rummaged through bits of paper on his clipboard, to no avail, then produced a thick A4 landscape binder from his boot and proceeded to search the relevant legislation with me leaning on his boot looking with him. There was nothing to state that a plate has to be a certain size. He then, trying hard to be nice, as he should be, told me that they were illegal and that he would quote me the legislation when he gets back to the station and looks it up and asked for my telephone number. I asked for his number and with him becoming more and more affronted he told me to go on my way and he would be in touch.

I went on my way, having been held up for 30 mins, embarrased, and having to leave my route to find a place to pull in.

He rang back next day and actually admitted he was wrong, there was no rules on length. I told him there was, but the only rules on length is that there must be 12mm before the letter and 12mm after the numeral of clear space, which I knew, because I made the plates myself and they are exact to the mm. I knew he would find something or he would not have rang back, he then hit me with the "fact" they should have the postcode of the makers on and the BS mark. This was new to me, but I was quite prepared to accept it. However I thought I would try my hand here and told him that it had my postcode and the BS mark on but on the reverse of the plates, so as not too spoil the "simplicity" of them. I said that it did not say they had to be on the front of the plate, just on the plate, and that he would have to believe me because to take them off to show him, as they are stuck on, would mean having to drive without plates on as they would not go back. ..hypothetically. ..and that would be illegal!

I sensed he was getting annoyed and he said he would ring back again. ...he hasn't.

I am pleased he was getting annoyed and affronted because, believe me I was, getting pulled over in those circumstances. The plates have been like that, although re made lots of times for over 12 years, without ever being illegal!

Anyway back to the point of my posting, I cant find anything specific to say that the Postcode and BS mark has to be on the front of the plates. ...Does any of you clever chappies know otherwise, if so I'll re make the 3 of them.

As for the nowt better to do bit. ..Don't get me wrong, I've seen loads of illegal plates that deserve to be noted some are actually taking the Micheal, but come on, I'm a fifty eight year old bloke pulling a caravan

with perfectly legal plates, albeit a couple of inches shorter than the norm. ..Have they nothing better to do???

THE BRITISH STANDARD

The British Standard sets out the physical characteristics on the number plate. This includes:

• Visibility
  • Strength
  • Reflectivity

The British Standard also requires that a number plate must be marked with the following information: -

• The British Standard Number (currently BS AU 145d)
  • The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier. (The company who actually make the number plate.)
  • The name and postcode of the supplying outlet. (The 'supplying outlet' is taken to mean a company whose business consists wholly or partly of selling number plates.)
  • A non-reflective border and the Euro-symbol with the national identification letters are optional additions.
  • There shall be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.

it doesn't say where the bs has to be you are correct.

Best hope he doesn't read this of he will be after you! Well that is if what he said is true. ..

Coachman Amara 380/2

I'm a fifty eight year old bloke pulling a caravan

with perfectly legal plates, albeit a couple of inches shorter than the norm. ..Have they nothing better to do???

What's shorter than the norm you the van or the plates? :P (Sorry couldn't resist it but it's your fault having that avatar) :D

I suppose that although he told me it should have the postcode on, as my postcode would take you to a

random place on the industrial estate, it may not be classed as

"or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier"

but who am I to argue with the police!

Getting interesting now!

What's shorter than the norm you the van or the plates? :P (Sorry couldn't resist it but it's your fault having that avatar) :D

Pleased you only mentioned the van or the plates being shorter than normal!!!

The name of the manufacturer has to be on plates either made after a certain date or on the plates on cars registered after a certain date.

Sorry but I don't have the exact info.

If you have the bobby's details you could make a formal complaint of Abuse of Authority.

Oh - GOOD GRIEF - does this REALLY matter.

But I suppose we have to live with daft things like this.

I mean - it all sounds a bit Keystone cops to me.

Just my thoughts really. There are more important things in life - for example, I have run out of Scotch Pies :wacko:

BO

i had the similar experiance about 4 years ago while out in the wifes freelander, we have a private plate which is 2 numbers 3 letters.

i think it was the 1st time he was out on his own, he said the rear plate was illegal i asked why, he said the numbers should be next to the letters and not above as per the rear plate, i said that all freelanders have a square rear plate, at that point another freelander drove past i pointed out the rear plate.

he wouldnt have it, i pointed out the plate had all the legal requirements including the makers stamp, post code and bs mark.

at that point he had a call on his radio, and off he went,

I suppose he is doing his job because he noticed you had Home Made Plates.

It is the home made plates that are illegal that cause all the problems. Very observant of him.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

It is the home made plates that are illegal that cause all the problems.

What problems ?

Reflective number plates were made compulsory from January 1st 1973,that is why vintage and veteran cars still have white/silver on black backgrounds.

BS Au145d was introduced in 1998 so if you transfer reg. plates from, say a 1975 Whizmobile to your current vehicle the regulations do not apply. You do not need to have new plates made either. You are correct when you mention that BS Au145d and supplier's info does not have to be on the front of tthe plate. Well spotted.

Regards.

Col

What problems ?

The cloned ones used to get free fuel and commit other driving offences. You cant get a plate now unless you show your docs.

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

The cloned ones used to get free fuel and commit other driving offences. You cant get a plate now unless you show your docs.

Thanks LHD. I did'nt know that.

Maybe its good the cops do stop people then?

Some tea-leaves make copies of car plates and drive into petrol stations and drive out again.

They choose a plate on a car that is exact copy of the car they drive and you get the summons.

The car they drive even shows up as insured when seen by Plate Recognition Systems?

The American system of a plate for life that is registered to the owner is better I think.

I don't know how their system works but ours is to easy to clone. I think the Police are on a loser unless they are very on the ball.

BS Au145d was introduced in 1998 so if you transfer reg. plates from, say a 1975 Whizmobile to your current vehicle the regulations do not apply. You do not need to have new plates made either.

You are correct when you mention that BS Au145d and supplier's info does not have to be on the front of tthe plate.

I think you will find that if the vehicle you wish to put the plates on should have the new style plates on, when you replace them with your cherished number the plate must conform to the current legislation.

The BS number (or equivalent) must be on the plate so that the conformity of the materials used can be verified. ..If the number is not visible then the plates may have to be removed for such a check to be made. ..Don't expect the boys in blus to replace the plate. .that is your problem. ..and woe betide you if you think you can drive away without displaying it. ..The boys in blue usually have a few £60 reminders they can let you have. ...

You cant get a plate now unless you show your docs.

Not quite true. ...Ebay, no docs, around £8. 99 a pair including all the legal markings needed. Cheaper than my local store,and next day delivery :)

Good old E-Bay - what would we do without it.

Give me your Reg Number and I will order a set for my car Pete! :ph34r:

Goodnight!

We had to repllace our legal plates because they had MUM'S MOTOR on the bottom of the number plate not that the lettering or spacing was ilegal just the words mum's motor they have nothing better to do than chase the poor moterist

Give me your Reg Number and I will order a set for my car Pete! :ph34r:

Goodnight!

BA1LEY

Ta.

Have a good trip Pete,

See you Monday

I suppose he is doing his job because he noticed you had Home Made Plates.

It is the home made plates that are illegal that cause all the problems. Very observant of him.

They were made by myself using correct materials to the letter of the law, they don't look any different to

what I could have bought in my mate's shop (he does them for a living). The poliss didn't know I had made them,

it's got nothing to do with them who makes them as long as they are correct. They are better far better quality than

a lot of cheap plates you see on new cars or a lot that you see de-laminating, with water marks from the ingress

of water from behind.

I made them myself because I wanted them to be, well, as I wanted them to be. I suppose a lifetime in the Design and Print industry makes me a bit of an old fart when it comes to design and appearance in certain matters, but there you go. There's not many fools like me who can get distracted whilst reading a book when the font, spacing and justification changes on occasion to fit into a certain layout through the book.

The term home made in this case (actually made in my Factory, not at home) means better, not worse.

Don't congratulate him on his observancy. ..berate his knowledge of the law he is supposed to be paid

to uphold, and his failure to have any common sense!

Oh - GOOD GRIEF - does this REALLY matter.

But I suppose we have to live with daft things like this.

I mean - it all sounds a bit Keystone cops to me.

Just my thoughts really. There are more important things in life - for example, I have run out of Scotch Pies :wacko:

BO

Scotch pies four for £1. 20 at Morrisons last week.

They were truly awful - and I mean really truly awful - but they were cheap.

Now what would I give for some dripping-fried fish and chips. I can see in my mind's eye a fishcake from Westfield Fisheries in Yeadon. A West Yorkshire style fish cake for the record.

Now what would I give for some dripping-fried fish and chips. I can see in my mind's eye a fishcake from Westfield Fisheries in Yeadon. A West Yorkshire style fish cake for the record.

Where are they?...The best I've found in that area are Murgatroyds, and the best for me up here in the real God's country is

Colmans in S. Sheilds. ...only eat in though, not steamed in the container/wrapper before eating!

the little fishy at the far end of Hawes is worthy of note as well!

out of intrest did he carry out any checks on the caravan to see if it was stolen

That poor copper must be demented :D But still i'd be the same, if he was being picky with me i'd be twice as picky back :D

Compass Shadow 1988

Archived